Fall is in the Air - October 2021 W.I.S.H. Challenge

As a child Halloween was an annual trauma. I’d think about a costume for weeks then day of my folks would say “go out in the garage and see what you can find”. What we could find was stuff for hobos and fisherman. Every.Stinking.Year.

So as an adult, while I was still living in Seattle, I made my Niece’s costumes, because my Sister hated Halloween. One year she was a gypsy with tons of necklaces and a big swirly skirt. One year she was fly, I made the eyes out of veggie strainers. One year she was a Princess in a shiny pink “ball gown” I sewed her. That year I took her to a Kids Halloween Concert at the Symphony and so many people were oohing and awing over her in the lobby that she did not want to go in and sit down because no one would be able to see her.

As an adult I don’t often dress up but one year I put together a Joan of Arc costume to work in my Sister’s booth at the neighborhood Autumn Festival. I regretted not adding flames to the costume, but when I was walking to get coffee one of the other Vendors called out “Good morning Joan.” So I guess it was obvious enough.

The one year I was at WDW for MNSSHP I made myself a tutu which I wore with a tee shirt and biker shorts and a headband that had a grave stone on it. Riding Big Thunder with that tutu filling up the car and wafting around in the air is one of my favorite memories.

For greeting trick-or-treaters I just wear my autumn headband that has a ton of flowers and antlers…. Well, not just that, I do wear clothes as well.

My first, most vivid, and most favorite Halloween costume memory was wanting desperately to be Casper the Friendly Ghost, and Mommy buying me the costume. I loved it so much. It’s fun to go back and feel those early childhood emotions as if I stepped into a time machine.638327FB-E313-4DDF-80A4-19A04835700A.jpeg
DD always wanted her costumes from the Disney Store. She was Tigger, Cinderella, Tinker Bell, but the most special was Sleeping Beauty which we purchased on our first trip to Disney World. She was able to customize her crown with Disney Park pins and a veil. She wore it in Magic Kingdom and for dinner at the Crystal Palace. Piglet grabbed her as the leader of the parade. Wearing it for Halloween brought back all of those special memories of our first WDW vacation. Below is a photo of her with Eeyore.
D64AE1C1-1792-4984-AD37-D2ECD9F42B2F.jpeg

My first, most vivid, and most favorite Halloween costume memory was wanting desperately to be Casper the Friendly Ghost, and Mommy buying me the costume. I loved it so much. It’s fun to go back and feel those early childhood emotions as if I stepped into a time machine.View attachment 611562
DD always wanted her costumes from the Disney Store. She was Tigger, Cinderella, Tinker Bell, but the most special was Sleeping Beauty which we purchased on our first trip to Disney World. She was able to customize her crown with Disney Park pins and a veil. She wore it in Magic Kingdom and for dinner at the Crystal Palace. Piglet grabbed her as the leader of the parade. Wearing it for Halloween brought back all of those special memories of our first WDW vacation. Below is a photo of her with Eeyore.
View attachment 611563
I love seeing Princesses at WDW with wrinkled dresses and wonky hair. You just know it is the day after their makeover and that they slept in it. One trip I was walking thru the Castle and a little girl came out of Bibbity Boppity all dressed up, and behind came her Dad, tears streaming down his cheeks.

506CB7E6-BC35-4720-87EE-ADCBE656F307.jpeg
My grandson was the cutest cowboy one year!
I used to put a devil horns headband on my Bassett Hound when we gave out candy-the kids loved it! Wish I had a picture of that! I wear my Halloween jewelry now-spider pin, candy corn earrings. I used to wear them to school.
Loved the Big Bang Theory costumes-what a great idea!

Well I have caught my first cold in 20 months. It's just congestion and sneezing, no fever or any other covid symptoms, and since I don't have any covid cases in my class or even hallway, I don't believe that it's a breakthrough covid infection. I am mad at myself because I know that I have been working too closely with my students. Even though we are all masked and my windows are open, I have been using proximity as a behavioral tool instead of socially distancing. No more. I hate being sick, and I am fortunate that it isn't worse.

So, I will be resting, drinking a lot of tea, and baked apples sounds yummy.

Sorry about the cold, Summer!

I can't blame you for drifting back to that - it really is so effective!
It is so effective! Especially when I am teaching, they are fooling around and not paying attention, and I sneak up behind them! The rest of the class watches in silence waiting for me to catch them in the act:rotfl2:. It’s hilarious, and it works like a charm.

Well I have caught my first cold in 20 months. It's just congestion and sneezing, no fever or any other covid symptoms, and since I don't have any covid cases in my class or even hallway, I don't believe that it's a breakthrough covid infection. I am mad at myself because I know that I have been working too closely with my students. Even though we are all masked and my windows are open, I have been using proximity as a behavioral tool instead of socially distancing. No more. I hate being sick, and I am fortunate that it isn't worse.

So, I will be resting, drinking a lot of tea, and baked apples sounds yummy.
I hope you feel better soon. A nice relaxing Sunday sounds like the best remedy!

Love the autumn self-casuggestions. I started painting the office yesterday. I had thought getting one wall done would be a good accomplishment but love the color so much I kept going and got everything painted except where the desk is. I didn’t eat or drink enough yesterday and was so stiff and sore I thought I wouldn’t be moving at all today. But I did get enough food and water in me later in the evening that I’m ok and have already roller the last section.

Right now I’m out getting a proper breakfast down at the beach, so I’ll also take a quick walk. Then it’s back to cutting in and touching up. I also love the new rug I got for the office and can’t wait to put it down. I’m not sure I’ll have it in me to build the new self unit today, but at least will get it out of the box and put the pieces in the office so I’m not tripping over it in the kitchen any longer.

On the way home from breakfast I think I might stop and get fixings for pumpkin bread… it sounds really yummy to have that smell wafting thru the house.

☕🍎☕ I'm drinking spiced cider as I type, and I've been on lots of birthday phone calls with family members, so I'm counting "spend time with people you love" as well.

It's rather grey and drizzly here, but not too bad. My neighbors' little dog got out and showed up on my back deck - but we managed to corral him there, so he is safely back home. :dog:

I made applesauce today-8-10 sliced apples (different varieties) in my crockpot with a splash of apple cider.
A long walk with the family before they left for home and then a nice dinner out with my husband at one of our favorite local restaurants.
A lovely weekend!

Motivation Monday

BA14249B-3B48-4C76-8BEC-47050ED06B95.jpeg

I have a colleague/friend at school who counts on me for inspiration, motivation, and support. She really struggles, and I feel like I lighten her load once in a while.

We all need to hold each other accountable; to be supportive when we backslide; and to celebrate each other when we succeed. I promise to show up for all of you.

I am so inspired by each and every one of you, and your successes motivate me constantly.

Thanks for showing up for me!

:grouphug:

Last edited:
It's been a busy weekend which has resulted in less than ideal eating but it has been worth it! Having an actual date night and spending quality time with the kids is worth some extra calories from takeout!
Friday I had some errands to run, which were super fun while I was feeling ill post flu shot. Better than getting the flu but no fun! Found out there is a cluster of covid+ people at my parents' nursing home which sucks because it means they are briefly canceling visits... but is not as scary as this time last year when my dad was in the nursing/rehab center. Very thankful my parents are vaxxed as are the vast majority of the staff and residents.
Saturday I watched muppet haunted mansion with my kids (hysterical) before dropping them off for an overnight with my inlaws while DH and I went to see LIVE THEATER OMG I have missed it sssooo much. Our local theater opened back up after 19 months, masks required with proof of vaccine or negative pcr. The energy in the theater was amazing and Adam Pascal was in the show and 13 year old me was geeking out!
Today we brought the kids to the zoo to see the Jack-o-lantern display. Was not the best display they have ever had but it was nice and since DH's company is a sponsor the tickets were free and we got down to the trail early before it got crowded. A bit drizzly but a nice night for a walk.
Tomorrow might be pumpkin picking we'll see how the day goes. Maybe some baking although I think it might be too warm.

This is a great reminder... I'm always surprised when I hear someone looks up to me or I've inspired someone.

When I got to the grocery store yesterday there was a blank space on the shelf and a note saying "Due to issues with our supplier... blah, blah, blah... no pumpkin bread for you", so I got a mix for cinnamon coffee cake. It also smelled good while baking and brought back a lot of childhood memories, as Bisquick Coffee Cake was one of my specialties to make.

I did get the shelving unit box dragged in to the office, so it isn't blocking the path thru the kitchen. I found that it was really disruptive so it feels good to get it moved and should help me to get back on track with the things I need to be doing food wise. We are in week two of the month and so far I have only lost the weight I put on when I was traveling. I'd really like to get out for a walk after work, but I have acupuncture at 5pm... I will try to fit something in afterwards as I really need to be outside.

Last edited:
Topic Tuesday
https://pin.it/5O8drf
I have a terrible sweet tooth and a bad habit of having a sweet treat after dinner. I have still lost weight in spite of it, but I feel like I would make better progress if I saved desserts for the weekends and special occasions. I was great with my birthday this year. I just wanted a cupcake rather than a big cake that we’d be eating all week. Other times I catch myself mindlessly eating Tate’s chocolate chip cookies and not even keeping track of how many I have had. I don’t want to be that person. I also know that if I deny myself completely, it will result in me bingeing…something that I left behind me hopefully forever.

So, going forward, I plan on being done eating after dinner and enjoying my sugary treats on weekends and holidays.

Are desserts a challenge for you?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter