Fall is in the Air - October 2021 W.I.S.H. Challenge

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!

Welcome to the October 2020 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) Challenge!
We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! So introduce yourself, post your personal goals, and join in the fun!

We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

Motivation Monday,

Topic Tuesday,
WooHoo Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday,
Free For All Friday,
Social Saturday, &
Self-Care Sunday.

This month's hosts are:

Week 1 - Oct 4-10 - PollyannaMom

Week 2 - Oct 11-17 - Summer2018
Week 3 - Oct 18-24 - sjrec
Week 4 - Oct 25-31 - Oneanne

I'm Nicole, and I'll be 51 on the 10th ~~~ another reason I love October!

I live in southeastern MA with my DH and two extremely spoiled cats. I'm also taking care of two fish tanks DS couldn't take to his new place. - That's right, he has recently rented a house with three friends, and we are empty nesters again...at least until May. (Insert all sorts of conflicting emojis, but mostly the "happy for him" one.)

My goals this month are to keep up my physical health by:

• continuing my treadmill walking habit (and moving the time if necessary)
  • adding a yoga routine at least once a week
  • watching my eating so I don't put on a bunch of "winter weight"
and my mental health by:
  • continuing to declutter in order to have a calm home environment
  • getting outside frequently despite the waning sunshine
  • keeping my brain active / staying social (Last month, I took a painting class at the library, and this month, I'm taking a 4-part class on resilience as we age.)

Last edited:
Hi I'm Shannon, 38, from RI where I live with DH, DS9, DS6 and DD3.
My goal this month is to tighten things up
-physically by excersizing a bit more, getting back into walking 2-3 times a week and adding back zumba or yoga 1-2 times a week. My weight is ok but noticing I'm getting jiggly
-emotionally/mentally getting back on not spending lots of time on social media *cough twitter cough* I rarely end up happy after looking at it so going to lessen my time to maybe on check a day like I was doing a few months back

Amazing this time last year was when I took my WISH break. Things are so different now, mostly positive, but it was been a crazy year.
Had the closing on my childhood home Friday, bittersweet. The young lady who purchased it was super excited so that made me feel a lot better. One major weight off my shoulders right there.

My #1 priority this week is...
...decluttering. There is a big clothing drive at church this weekend, so I want to get those donations ready.
I want to do less...
...sitting still.
I want to do more...
...walking. I've gotten a little lazy with my 15 minute routine. I should have switched it to 20 by now.
This week, I want to feel...
...calm.
To feel this way, I will...
...breathe deeply and just keep taking small steps.
If I get stuck, I'll remember...
...that everyone here is routing for me!

Hi Everyone, I am Stephanie. I live in North East Ohio with DH, DS 15 (he can get his temps by the end of the week :crazy2: ) and DD 14. This have been crazy around here but are finally getting back to normal. Only a few more weeks of JV soccer and marching band for both. Our 17 year wedding anniversary is on Saturday. I really wish time will slow down.

My goal for this month is to get back to walking on the treadmill and losing weight. July, August and September were just too busy and I at least maintained but I need to do more.

This past weekend was a busy but fun weekend. It was Homecoming. Lots of running around on Saturday. It was the perfect day too. They had the dance outside down at the lake in town. It was about 77-80 degrees all day until about 30 minutes after the dance started. Then it rained. It was more of a drizzle the rest of the night but did have some heavier rain at times. The kids didn't mind and still had a lot of fun.

Homecoming Dance.jpg
This is where the dance was. They had 2 pavilions that are to the left and center and the lights to the right are lights strung overhead where they danced. This was the end of the night and I was there to pick them up.

Homecoming.jpg
This is me with both kids. My niece had homecoming too and we were able to meet up with her and my sister to get some pictures of them together. This a lake in their city. Ours is more commercialized and theirs is more for trails and stuff, more natural. DD was not a fan of getting pictures and I feel like I look bad. I need to lose more weight in my hips and butt. This will be motivation.

DD went with her boyfriend. They just met a few weeks ago and started dating about a week before the dance. I just met him and his family on Saturday. I have to have this is one of the nicest and most polite boy I have met. He opened doors for her and everything. They both seemed a bit shy with his parents and I around. It was quite cute. DS went with a big group of friends. Some he has been friends with since kindergarten.

Sunday was low key but busy. DS spent the night at a friends house after the dance and then decided to go bowling Sunday afternoon. Thankfully I didn't have to drive him. DD and I went shopping in the morning. I was put in charge of getting table clothes, plates, forks and napkins for the girls soccer senior night that is this Wednesday. Yep, found out about this on Saturday afternoon. Not a whole lot of time to find Blue and Orange (school colors) stuff and no time to order it either. Thankfully Walmart had everything and cheaper then the stuff I was finding on the internet. After that we shopped a bit for Halloween costumes. She wants to match with her BF so we didn't get anything. Just some ideas. Later that afternoon DD decided to go to the movies with a friend. I drove and stayed for the movie too. It was too far to drop them off and go home. I got a seat by myself away from them. We saw Dear Evan Hanson. OMG did I cry in that movie. It was a bit hard to watch as I could see bits of DD in Evan and I think her name is Alanna as DD has anxiety and has been depressed at times. Nothing to there extent but still hard to see. I did only get a small popcorn for myself and only ate about halve of it so I was happy with myself on that.

Hi I'm Lizanne, living in Seattle in the beautiful PNW. My goals for October are:

Physical health - stay on my weight loss trajectory of -1 pound per week, making it -4 for the month. Increase intake of proteins and decease intake of carbs. Keep my step count at an average of 7000 steps per day.

Mental health - continue to declutter the house. Have another go of getting the office set-up and decorated, which is going to include painting it, again, as I don't love the color I just painted it and since I spend all day in here it has to go. Get in to the habit of having several meditation breaks thru out the day, to breathe and re-center. Get outside every day.

Last edited:

Priorities for this week... getting my knees/legs back to normal so I can get out for walks. I took it really easy over the weekend and they are a little better each day, but still a bit sore.

This week I'll do less... victim/martyr thinking. I'll work on re-programming when ever it comes up, and get back to building new neuro-pathways.

This week I'll do more... of the things I've told myself I will do.

This week I want to feel... cozy and comfortable.

To feel that way I will... get the little messes around the house picked up, getting things looking and feeling sparkly and happy.

If I get stuck I will remember... just do 5 minutes. Whatever it is, no matter how overwhelming it feels, just give it 5 minutes.

#1 Priority is…stay positive

I want to do less…negative talk

I want to do more…smiling with my family

This week, I want to feel…relaxed

To feel this way, I will…stay focused, complete necessary tasks without procrastinating, and avoid negative conversations

If I get stuck, I will remember…to trust God.

I’m Sandy, retired and living in PA and Ocean City, Md with my husband of 41 years. I just realized it’s been 20 years since I started WW and lost 70lbs (finally lost the “baby weight” when she went off to college!). I have gained 10lbs back and my priority is to get it off before the holidays.

I want to do less mindless eating. I want to feel more in control. To feel that way I will get back to keeping a food log and when I get stuck I will remind myself that when I follow the plan it works.

Topic Tuesday ~

DH and I were talking yesterday about the fact that we've both been snacking more lately. (I think it has to do with autumn and our ancestors having to put on weight to get through the winter.)

So my question is - have you been feeling the same way lately? and how have you been tackling the problem? (low-calorie snacks, alternate behaviors, more exercise...)

I think I'm naturally more of a grazer than a big meal eater. Being at home so much now, and having co-workers across time zones so there isn't a common lunch time, I tend to snack my lunch. I'm not much of a chips person but do go for crackers, and I'd like to have cheese but have been told to cut back. Apples are in season so I got some last time I was at the grocery store and I treated myself to a jar of cookie butter to smear on the apple slices, since I can't have any of the nut butters. Actually cheese would probably be better than cookie butter.

I can't say that I'm snacking more with the change in the season, but I do favor cooked food over fresh/raw.

I am not much of a snacker. I used to be but Since last year I just don't anymore. I am also not eating a snack at night. I think going to bed at 9 and reading a book before falling asleep has helped this.

I do try to eat a fruit or veggie instead of junk when I do snack, but sometimes I go for chips. We started by the individual packages instead of a big bag. I know it costs more but it very much is portion control for me. One bag is more then enough.

Intro:
Summer, 57 as of today, in Connecticut, one hour outside NYC
Living with...DH, 62, DD, 23
Working as...a Kindergarten Teacher in an inner city public school.
Favorite place...seashore
Hobbies...Art, swimming, singing, reading
October:
Continue to lose vacation weight; walk daily; high protein, low carb; keep my eye on the prize; manage stress better.

I want to do less negative self-talk. I want to feel more in control in the midst of challenging situations. To feel that way I will get back to being more positive and remembering my strength and resilience, and when I get stuck I will remind myself that when I have faith in myself and God, everything works out for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!