Fairy Godmothers in-room child care

timandlesley

<font color=darkorchid>The tag fairy may not but t
If you have used the Fairy Godmothers service when in Disney could you please share your experiences with me. My husband and I would like an evening to enjoy Disney as two adults and would love to use this service, I just made a ressie with them today but wanted to get some stories from other Disers. Thanks!
Lesley

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
We have used Marguerite. She is terrific! We also had another one, but her name escapes. Perhaps Vera or Verna. Also a really terrific sitter.

timandlesley

That is funny, based on what I've read I have requested Margaritte or Vera. Can you give me any more info on them, ages, etc. Was one more active than the other or good with smaller kids, we have a 4 year old and 20 month old. Any info would be much appreciated, I am SO glad someone responded to this thread.
Lesley

• jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
    Lesley ... Both women were probably in their 50s, I would think. Both had a lot of experience with kids....you could tell. They had a lot of patience! They brought toys for DS, and that helped quite a bit. In fact, most of the times he was so busy looking at all the things she brought, he didn't even really care we were leaving! We've used them about six times, I think.

With both of them, we took a bit of time, on our dime, to get to know them before we split. It helped us build up a comfort factor. In fact, the first time, we never left the hotel. We were at VWL and just had dinner there. DS was only 13 months atthe time, and screamed bloody murder when we left. When I went back to check on them about a half-hour later, and I could see thru the windows that (Vera or Verna) was gently carrying him around the room, comforting him. He wasn't crying any more. When we got back to the room after dinner, he was sound asleep. Subsequent times, he was a bit older, and was very into the toys Marguerite brought.

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
    We have used Vera and she was wonderful. She is a grandma age--probably late 50s to early 60s, but I am really bad at judging ages. Anyway, we had at the time a barely one year old and a two year old boy and a 6 year old girl. DH and I went to MVMCP alone and the kids stayed at the villa with Vera. She made them dinner, took them to the resort playground and put them to bed. She brought a bag of toys with her--cars, books, playdough and Barbies. She knew the ages of our kids and called to confirm the set up the day before. We had allowed 45 minutes between when she was to arrive and when we planned to leave as the middle one was having a really hard time being left with sitters at the time and we wanted him to get comfortable. However, after like 15 minutes, our kids were more than ready for us to leave so we headed off.

Just as a warning, you may get some responses along the lines of "how could you leave your child with a total stranger???" blah blah blah. I worked as a drop in nanny for awhile so I know what they have to go through as far as background etc. My only concern was would she be able to handle my kids--the two boys are close in age and BUSY! She had then wrapped around her little finger!

timandlesley

Thank you both soooo much. I will call back and confirm that we will get Vera that night. I am excited, we haven't had a night out at Disney just the two of us since our honeymoon, we REALLY need this night and I am excited about it. I will have a much better time knowing what great hands they are left in. Thanks for taking the time to write this for me!

Lesley

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
    No problem! Have a really fun time! I meant to mention, DH was a bit hesitant about this whole idea to begin with, but after we had been at the MK for about an hour and had riddend together on all the rides we had been skipping and just were enjoying walking along Main Street without having to watch out for everyone, he decided he wanted to use one every trip!!

• biras jim

All E-Tickets
    We used Vera, as well, last February based upon a recommendation we received on this board. She was absolutely fantastic with our kids (ages 3 and 18 months at the time). My son still mimics her Irish(?) accent !

timandlesley

Thanks so much for responding to this, it eases my mind so much. I requested Vera and have already started talking to my 4 year old about it, he is actually excited. I think the kids will be fine with a night of down time after a week of "go go go" at Disney. I know my husband and I will be ready for the night out. What did you have Vera do with your kids? I was hoping she'd take mine to the food court for dinner and maybe walk from WL to FW for the marshmellow roast. Any thoughts?

LEsley

brandip22

Busy obsessing over my next trip!
    We hace been thinking of gettuing Vera, too. Glad to see no problems!

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
    My son is ready for bedtime by about 8:30, so they just watched a bit of TV, then he went to bed.

As long as there is no water activity, I know they will take the kids out and about.

• goodferry

DIS Veteran
    We have used both the Fairy Godmothers and Kid's Night Out and had wonderful experiences with both. We used Kid's Night Out on the last trip because the concierge staff made the arrangements for us.

pirateofthecarolinas

<font color=FF00CC>AIN'T ain't a word!<br><font co
    Goodferry, we're staying CL at the GF and I was wondering about getting a sitter. I would like to take my mother out for a nice meal without my 3 children. Where did you stay? I assume the same babysitters are used by the CL CMs and come highly recommended. I'm sure they know their way around the Concierge Lounge and resort. Did you feel that to be true?

Thanks,

Lori

littleprincessmom

Mouseketeer
    timandlesley-

I hope your trip was great! :flower: Do you mind me asking how Fairy Godmothers babysitting was??? My girls will be 6 and 3.5 on this trip. Both are dying to stay in one of the clubs but youngest isn't old enough yet. They've seen Neverland Club, Sandcastle and Simba's and want to go in every time we go by.

We've never left them at Disney before but are staying at AKL one night and would like to eat at Jiko. They've gone with us to Jiko before but I really think they would have more fun playing on playground, viewing animals with night goggles, etc., while we eat for about an hour and a half.

Can anyone tell me the types of activities a Fairy Godmother would plan with a 3 year old and 6 year old girls??? Would she take them to playground, food court, etc.??? We'd be in the building so I'm not as concerned about leaving them with what is obviously a reputable company as about them having fun!

thanks so much! :wave:

justKim

Mouseketeer
    We have used Vera and Marguerite from Fairy Godmothers. Our kids liked both of them, but prefer Vera. She seemed more active with them. According to the kids, Marguerite was very nice and they really liked her, but they sat around and watched t.v. more with her. Of course, the kids were pretty tired that night, so maybe that's all they wanted to do. The kids were 4 and 14 months our first trip with Vera and she has sat for them three times, and my oldest still asks when he'll get to see Vera the next time we go to WDW.

Not on this board, but I did get friends who questioned my judgement getting an unknown sitter on a trip. We hired a Fairy Godmother the first time planning on spending time with her and the kids before heading out and willing to tell her "no thanks" and sending her on her way with her money if we weren't comfortable with her. I know that these ladies do this stuff all the time and they seemed great to me.

We've used sitters to go to Fantasmic, do some Christmas shopping, and have a nice dinner at California Grill.

However, if you will be at WDW President's week in February, I take all of this back. Vera and Marguerite should be avoided at all costs, at least until I've had my chance to book our Fairy Godmothers!

Have a great trip!

Madi100

DIS Veteran
    What is the number for Fairy Godmothers? We would love to just take them to the babysitting offered at some of the resorts, but we want to have a later night than midnight. We want to go to Pleasure Island.

marj70

Mouseketeer
    We have used Vera and LOVED her. Had a different sitter last time, I can't remember her name but she was also just wonderful. I like FG best because they will handle special needs (DS has autism), are all female and mothers or grandmothers themselves. They are very reputable, and it is very safe. You deserve a night out!! :cool1:

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates