Facing the inevitable...Eastcoast drive home from WDW

LuvENDisney

Trying to plan our next trip to WDW!
We will be leaving for WDW on Thursday night and plan to drive straight there. We live in Northern Virginia and I've heard that it takes anywhere from 12-16 hours. I know taking the kids into consideration, it may take longer. My DH and I are soo excited, so I know that the drive will be long, but when we get there, it will be worth it.

I have been putting off our coming home plans. Can you blame me? :) We decided that driving home, we will have to do during the day and planned on leaving WDW in the AM and stopping half way. Can anyone suggest a good place to stop and maybe even a place to stay on the way back home? We thought about going to Savannah, haven't eliminated that idea, but I think it is only about 1/3 of the way home.

Any help will be great! Thanks!

I just drove back from WDW this past weekend. I live in Baltimore and I stopped in Savannah on Saturday night. It took me 10 hours to get from Savannah to Baltimore with a couple of stops for gas, food and rest area. However I usually travel about 10 MPH over the posted speed limit.

I got to Savannah around 6:30, left WDW around 2:00, and checked into the Courtyard by Marriott in the Historic District. I walked about 10 blocks down to the Riverfront for dinner that night but I'm not sure I'd recommend that long walk at night to a family. Sunday morning I woke up and walked again down to the Riverfront. It was beautiful during the day, the Riverfront and the houses all around the historic district were great.

Overall Savannah was a good way to end my WDW vacation. But next time I'll fly down instead of driving.

Thanks for your reply. We decided that Savannah would be a fun stop for us. I even made reservations at Paula Dean's Restaurant, the Lady and Sons. I looked up the Courtyard Marriott and the price is good. We are trying to decide if we want to stay in downtown Savannah or closer to I-95 for the rest of our commute home.

Glad to hear that the drive wasn't too bad back to Baltimore. I anticipate us taking a little longer with the kids and all. Ya, I agree though, the next time, we'll be flying too, and we didn't even do the drive yet!

DH drives back and forth from NJ to Orlando every month. It takes him about 17 hours. He does it straight through. The first five hours is getting to the Frederiskburg area. After that it's easy.

He leaves between 4 and 5 am and avoids most traffic. Between WDW and Northern Central VA the only trouble area for traffic is J'Ville. It's not bad as long as you avoid rush hour.

Anne

Hopefully, we won't get stuck in too much traffic since we plan on coming home on a Sat. Who knows though traffic is always unpredictable. Living in the DC area, I am used to the traffic. Thanks for telling me about Jacksonville. I didn't even think about that Metro area.

LuvENDisney said:
Thanks for your reply. We decided that Savannah would be a fun stop for us. I even made reservations at Paula Dean's Restaurant, the Lady and Sons. I looked up the Courtyard Marriott and the price is good. We are trying to decide if we want to stay in downtown Savannah or closer to I-95 for the rest of our commute home.

Glad to hear that the drive wasn't too bad back to Baltimore. I anticipate us taking a little longer with the kids and all. Ya, I agree though, the next time, we'll be flying too, and we didn't even do the drive yet!

I visted Savannah last christmas and the town is absolutly breathtaking. The Courtyard Marriott is very nice, IMO even nicer then the Marriott Riverfront. I wasn't the least bit impresed with The Lady and Sons restaurant. I found it personally to be an expensive buffet with marginal southern food. You can find excellent southern food without too much effort....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter