Facebook... To rejoin or not rejoin.. That is the question

I have it set up so when I click on my FB link, it goes right to my neighborhood mom's page. That's all I care to keep up on. My feed was beyond irritating with certain friends' posts. Don't miss it at all!

I like FB to keep up with old high school friends and it's the way we get the messages out about reunions and get togethers.

Ddil posts lots of pictures of dgd and I love seeing her day to day stuff. They don't live far but we don't see each other every day. Same with ds and his dds. And it's fun seeing dd and her friends at school posting pictures.

Those are MY pros but of course yours would be different.

The cons are numerous. I haven't unfriended anyone but have hid a couple of people's posts from my feed due to politics. Not because I disagreed with them but because everything they posted turned into a big arguement with them and others. Hid one because of her constant bragging of the perfect "blessed" life she likes to portray. Another because she was posting beach and vacation type pictures that were not hers but from hotel and travel sites and playing them off as her own. And one other because I got tired of knowing every thought that popped in her head. If everything I experienced on FB was like those 5, I would delete my account altogether.

Cons - all the adults who turn into 12 yo girls & get all indignant over silly comments.
old "friends" who you haven't heard from in years friending you

Pros - I keep mine on lockdown, just family & close friends.
You get to be involved with loved ones you wouldn't otherwise see.

I can't lock mine down. My employer requires me to maintain a FB and a Twitter page.
My issue is, official information from Police, fire and other official agencies often goes out first on FB. Case in point, the evacuation of 200,000 people near Oroville dam went out first on Facebook, then Twitter, and third via e-mail.

I could have 2, one professional and one personal, but I have enough trouble keeping up with one. Yes, people I haven't seen in 50 years find me there.

I can't lock mine down. My employer requires me to maintain a FB and a Twitter page.
My issue is, official information from Police, fire and other official agencies often goes out first on FB. Case in point, the evacuation of 200,000 people near Oroville dam went out first on Facebook, then Twitter, and third via e-mail.

I could have 2, one professional and one personal, but I have enough trouble keeping up with one. Yes, people I haven't seen in 50 years find me there.

That is why I have a personal account & a professional account.

Do whatever you want. I have FB as it's easier for me to keep in touch with friends and family o/s. I also share a lot of personal photos from our travels and life on there. I also like to join FB groups if they're relevant to me at the time. I also do not have 1000s of people on there, just a small select group of people mostly that i know or have met irl.

If FB is something you might benefit from then rejoin.

I also have Twitter which is my political platform. I don't share personal things on there as it's open to all.

I call FB the ultimate reminder of why I don't keep daily contact with certain people. I take very long breaks. I'm currently on one right now. The election really brought the nasty out in a lot of people. Like I told my husband, there are just some things I don't want to know about people I otherwise like. The problem is now I can't unknow those things. People become Keyboard Cowboys and say things they'd never say in a real conversation and I find myself appalled at the behavior I see from what I thought were pretty decent people.

If you can put up with people who may not know how to use a filter or may show you a side of themselves you never thought you'd see, go for it. People know how to get ahold of me so I don't need FB to "keep up." You on the other hand might find that you do.

I like Facebook for reconnecting and staying in touch with family and friends. Without it, I wouldn't have them back in my life. I don't tend to judge what people post. It's easy to scroll by. I belong to craft groups and a couple of timeshare groups. Love the way the groups share info and help each other. Political posts did get to me but I just unfollowed those friends until the election was over. I do not accept friend requests unless I personally know them.

For me, FB is a way to keep in touch with extended family and friends I don't see regularly.

I also use it to post my vacation photos (mostly for my personal enjoyment). We travel a lot so I always feel a bit weird about that. On the flip side, thinking about posting on FB later is kinda like when I plan to post a report on here - makes me take a step back to think about whatever we are doing which in turn helps me capture the memory better. Does that make sense? Its like my personal travel journal but because I feel I need to keep up my "tradition" of posting, I don't get lazy and skip it like I did with my private travel blog.

My 21 yr old niece recently told me how much she loves my various travel posts. And when we went to a concert together, made me promise to post our photos on FB. That was sweet :)

I do keep it super light though - mostly just vacation stuff. Its fun seeing other people's vacation photos and cute kid pics. No interest in anything political.

Edit: this post inspired me to browse through my FB and I had a fun time reliving old memories! So glad that I have a record on FB as I really don't think I would have ever kept up with anything privately.

Last edited:
I find it useful to follow companies - ask questions, contact them, check hours, etc - and to keep up with cousins' in other cities and more distant friends.

I'm not sure why rejoining facebook requires a thread asking questions about it.
The pros and cons are going to be different for everyone.

lol this is the community board, the perfect place. There are so many random threads on here. Do you comment on the ones you don't think are "worth" creating a thread for every time?

Thanks for the honest opinions on pros and cons! I asked on here because of course my best friends and family want me to join and they bug me about it occasionally. But I wanted some objective opinions and figured the community board was the perfect place for it ;) Sorry for the "waste" of a thread
Gotta give it some thought after reading, wouldn't want it to be a life changing decision or anything lol
Also gotta love some posters on here..suck all the fun out with their snarky comments.. There's always one or two!
Those are the people who are probably blocked or hidden on FB lol :)

lol this is the community board, the perfect place. There are so many random threads on here. Do you comment on the ones you don't think are "worth" creating a thread for every time?

Every time, no. Your post with its dramatic "That is the question" caught my attention.
Its facebook, join or don't join, its really no big deal. So yeah its not worth a thread, just sign up. Use it if you find you enjoy it. If you don't you don't have too.

Thanks for the honest opinions on pros and cons! I asked on here because of course my best friends and family want me to join and they bug me about it occasionally. But I wanted some objective opinions and figured the community board was the perfect place for it ;) Sorry for the "waste" of a thread
Gotta give it some thought after reading, wouldn't want it to be a life changing decision or anything lol
Also gotta love some posters on here..suck all the fun out with their snarky comments.. There's always one or two!
Those are the people who are probably blocked or hidden on FB lol :)

The community board is something like Facebook, but you dont get to choose to friend them. I have found that FaceBook posts will sometimes be filled with the kind of comments that you teased about here, but would you tease if that happened to you on FB, or if you began to notice that some of your friends were "enthusiastic" about topics? I found that there are more than one or two, and it can be stressful if youi are the one who cannot just scroll past. People have warned you that the election has polarized a lot of people and their thoughts are often reflected in how they post or respond to posters on Facebook. I may not agree with some folks here in the DIS, but it is easy to move on. It is not as easy to move on when I see a side of a friend that is "not pleasant".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter