Face mask while at table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, but if you are going to a different place you need to find out what the rules are there and then follow them. You can't go to England and drive on the right side of the road because that it how it is down where you are from
Hence the new verbiage, which gives cm‘s the cover if they confront some Karens. Big picture is no one will really notice anything different.

I don't know if you follow The Main Street Mouse but they were told to put a mask on in between sips of Frappuccino. Who wants to chug coffee??
Was this on video? Unedited? If ur standing around for 5 min between sips I can see someone telling you to mask back up. But if this is literally sip for 5 second wait 10sec than told to mask back up I find it a bit much especially since people are stationary and atleast 6ft apart.

Was this on video? Unedited? If ur standing around for 5 min between sips I can see someone telling you to mask back up. But if this is literally sip for 5 second wait 10sec than told to mask back up I find it a bit much especially since people are stationary and atleast 6ft apart.
“At MK two weeks ago I had this happen...”
If you stand/sit for an extended period of time with a drink but not drinking you are not actively eating or drinking. The new policy was not in place at the time of the incident. So I call 🙄 on this report.

Was just the old policy, in action.

Uh, we were. We were totally asking for this rule - and we thought it already was the rule. Which is why during our TG visit we asked why it wasn’t being enforced and were told once seated guests could remove them... uhhh... okaaayyyyy????

This made us incredibly surprised/concerned/uncomfortable at our first TS meal at Beaches and Cream during our trip... the tables are very tight in that smaller space - diners were closer than 6ft to each other in some places- and the ceiling isn’t super soaring so airflow and fluid dynamics were weighing heavily on my civil engineering brain. We masked as much as possible between eating, sipped malts through bottom of masks and got the heck outta there as fast as possible. Brown Derby was the opposite experience. The only other TS we felt uncomfortable due to spacing/crowding/behavior was TG dinner at Diamond Horseshoe - which I requested to sit in rather than low ceiling LTT. But super full - as one might expect - so another meal we ate quickly.

Reminds me of some of our meals during our Thanksgiving trip. I was welcoming quarantining at home for 2 weeks away from all other people except my immediate family after that. Very stressful and not really much of a vacation sometimes. Still glad we went in July and November, but I am glad we won't be going back until July at the earliest and maybe not even then, depending upon the numbers, whether we are vaccinated, and any changes in the theme park policies.

Sure it will. Since masks have shown to offer at least some protection for those around you, anytime a mask is worn in the close vicinity to others will offer that protection. It may not be perfect, but it helps. I agree with PP that keeping my mask on until my food is actually served and then putting it back on when I am done is an easy and respectful way to help protect the servers. If you disagree, ask yourself how would you feel if the servers didn't have their mask on when they were closely interacting with you?

Nope. The servers will still be in contact with unmasked people for long enough for this to have literally no effect. Sorry.

It wouldn't bother me at all for servers to not wear masks at all. Get over your fear. It isn't going away and this is no longer about your safety, if it ever was.

Last edited:
Defining actively drinking and eating is gonna be the challenging part. So sit down get your drink, take mask take a sip or two then wait 3-5 mins before next sip but food hasn't arrived? Who is really going to put mask back on, with food tends to be less longer pauses between bites, or same with waiting for next course. Overall I agree they are going backwards and this is more about making it seem safer so they can increase capacity.
But in the end this won't increase capacity if they actually made the diners do that. Dinners will take longer to complete if the diners are constantly taking their masks on and off.

Nope. The servers will still be in contact with unmasked people for long enough for this to have literally no effect. Sorry.

Or, with this policy in place, servers will be told to only approach a table where everyone is masked. It would be a sign much like those on the table at Bubba Gumps. If you want to order, have food dropped off, have plates taken away, have the bill dropped off or picked up, you put on a mask. Otherwise they will leave you in peace.

The whole thing seems like a step backwards to me when I was really hoping for a more relaxed phase when we go in December. I could see this being a rule back when restaurants first opened back up but not NOW when the numbers are finally dropping and more and more people are being vaccinated. According to some bloggers, they are being told to keep the mask on *BETWEEN* bites/sips even.
You don’t take your foot off the gas when things are starting to turn around. You just set yourself up for things to get bad again.

They have already been doing this. Last month at HS, we got drinks at the little bar outside Brown Derby and then sat at one of the tables outside (more than 6 feet away from the other tables). Outside. As we were sipping our drinks, a security guard came over to tell us and the other tables that we literally have to put our masks on between sips. LOL. (Did I say we were sitting at a socially distanced table, outside, drinking our overpriced drinks???)
Oh my! I have heard that it is actually counterproductive to have to put it on between bites/sips. Aren't they still recommending sanitizing one's hands before and after each time you remove your mask? This does not sound fun and Universal is looking better and better.

Agreed @soniam And perhaps also the reason we have lost some excellent moderators lately. Insistence on Division is infecting all parts of our lives. Even our Happy place... just stop.
Why it’s so hard to care about and care for others and be kind is beyond...

It wouldn't bother me at all for servers to not wear masks at all. Get over your fear. It isn't going away and this is no longer about your safety, if it ever was.
Caring about your own health and the health of others around you does not equal fear. No clue whats so hard to understand about that for some people.

Caring about your own health and the health of others around you does not equal fear. No clue whats so hard to understand about that for some people.

I think it’s a difference between following a guideline or rule because there is a logical reason to do so, and just happily complying with whatever you are told because it makes you feel better about yourself. (Not referring to ‘you’ specifically).

Policies that are not logical encourage people to not take things seriously while giving the other camp ammunition.

IMO it only winds up making things worse.

I think it’s a difference between following a guideline or rule because there is a logical reason to do so, and just happily complying with whatever you are told because it makes you feel better about yourself. (Not referring to ‘you’ specifically).

Policies that are not logical encourage people to not take things seriously while giving the other camp ammunition.

IMO it only winds up making things worse.
Luckily I find this rule very logical. I really haven't heard many rules that aren't.

Luckily I find this rule very logical. I really haven't heard many rules that aren't.

Are people not breathing while consuming their meals? If that is safe to do while dining indoors then it’s safe to take them off while seated. Or between sips of coffee outside. If it’s not safe to do so, this rule doesn’t make it more safe to do so.

It may make you feel better about it maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter