Delete Thread

Nice review of Homecoming and Jock Lindsey's! I love the monkey cup... it's definitely cool! I keep reading Homecoming on everyone's review and it's definitely on my list now. I gotta try them sometime but b/c DS 13 hates shopping, we don't go to Disney Springs often. I'll have to convince him sometime.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the first post I've made to one of your TR's. I've been a terrible lurker :blush:

I just had to mention the Homecomin' pictures, your sides look so good. I've read a few reviews of this place and I can't wait to try it sometime.

And it really is weird about the burgers between Canada and the US. @fallonkendra is right, I have never been asked how I want my burger cooked up here, it's well done, that's it. I like a medium rare steak, but I got so used to well done burgers I don't think I could eat one that wasn't.

:eek: I didn't even realize you could order just sides as a meal at Homecomin'! Those mashed potatoes were so good. Every time I read a new review of that place I get so excited for my wedding reception!

I need to check out Jock Lindsey's next time! Those drinks sound amazing!

:eek: I didn't even realize you could order just sides as a meal at Homecomin'! Those mashed potatoes were so good. Every time I read a new review of that place I get so excited for my wedding reception!

I need to check out Jock Lindsey's next time! Those drinks sound amazing!

Yes it's actually it's own dish!

I can't wait to go back and try some food at Jock Lindsey's. If we weren't eating dinner there was a few things that had sounded good to me.

Last edited:

The dirty ledge grosses me out :crazy2: We almost tried Mythos when we went back in 2015 but didn't, however I love the design of the structure from the outside. I agree with you that the Lost Continent section is pretty cool looking!

When we were at Homecomin' Sunday a table near us got the deviled eggs and they had either bacon or ham on top when they were served. Those things were huge! Still don't want to get in to my review of our meal there but I kind of wanted to try the sampling of three sides. You said you liked the mac and cheese- was yours pretty cheesy? Was it dry at all?

Dirty ledges/walls by the table gross me out too. Just because it isn't the table surface doesn't mean you skip it when you wipe down a table!

A tip for your waiter there: if you don't know about something, like say, the gluten free menu items, ask. and let your table know that you'll find out for them. I'm much happier to wait and get the correct information, than be told wrong. Especially when you know it's wrong! How could you make an exception to make a not gluten free dessert gluten free?!? :confused3 Weirdo.

I also get annoyed when your server ignores you for a larger table or something. Or your age... we usually tip well, but we've been ignored based on age before too. :mad:

And again he wasn't a fan of the aioli. :rotfl:

Boys :sad2:
:rotfl:

Josh finished his meal with a cappuccino.

At least this looks pretty :)

Poor Josh though. :sad2: The gluten free bread was basically just some gluten free toast. I think he was rather envious of my bread choices.
Oh no! This made me laugh... that's so sad! I'm not gluten free, so I've never been in that situation, but it almost seems it would be better to just say, Sorry we don't have any options... not Here's some dry toast!

Remember the Baha Men? The Kitchen does :rotfl:
pluto:pluto:pluto:

I got: Mac & Cheese
Pasta Shells, Manchego, Monterey Jack and Cheddar.

screen-shot-2017-05-24-at-10-26-44-pm-png.239362

And I clearly failed at taking a picture of it. Disappointing because it looked as good as it tasted. It also had breadcrumbs on top and I got bacon on top as well. This was just really really good. Even better than the mac and cheese at Homecoming which was delicious. After several trips of having bland mac and cheese on the Disney buffets and wondering where there was a better mac and cheese dish I have found 2 in 2 days!
Mmmmmm. I love mac and cheese. I actually have leftovers for lunch today lol.

Overall we had a great meal at The Kitchen. We were probably there for 2 hours, and it wasn't very crowded. Our server was nice and attentive, and the characters were a funny surprise. But overall the meal felt intimate and it was nice to just get some time to relax and talk. We had watched a positive review on this restaurant a few months ago so it wasn't a huge surprise the food was good, but I was a little surprised at just how good. This obviously hadn't been my first or even second pick for the night, but I'm glad we ended up there!
This sounds like a great place. I haven't looked into Universal food yet...

Eventually after eating the soup for awhile (it was delicious as always, still the best tomato soup I've ever had)

You need to get to Disneyland to try the tomato soup at La Brea Bakery - probably the best tomato soup I've ever had in my life!

That dirty ledge would gross me out too! Also, so weird about the server who clearly didn't understand what gluten was... I was gluten free for 4 years before being diagnosed with my Crohn's disease (I can't remember if I ever mentioned that to you before?), and servers who didn't even know what gluten was were the absolute worst.

Those desserts look so good at the Kitchen!

I also get annoyed when your server ignores you for a larger table or something. Or your age... we usually tip well, but we've been ignored based on age before too. :mad:

Ugh this! I hate when a server ignores you based on what you've ordered. We've gone to restaurants before where we actually just want to drink water and share 2-3 appetizers, and then we're basically ignored the rest of the evening because the total of our bill won't be super high. I'm typically a 18-20% tipper, but as soon as you do that to me, I'll leave like a 5% tip (enough to cover the amount the server has to pay out to the kitchen/hostess but nothing left for them).

I guess May was a lot busier than the other two times we've been here because we've never waited more than 10 minutes.
I don't know if you remember from my TR, but when I went in Feb. on a Thurs. night, the wait was an hour. We did wait-and were disappointed :(

Universal rotates it's character dining among Royal Pacific (Islands), Hard Rock (The Kitchen), and Portofino Bay (Trattoria Del Porto) on different nights of the week. My guess is it was The Kitchen's night for character dining. A fact that most people (us included) were not aware of (judging by how surprised and even annoyed other people looked when Woody came up to their tables). :rotfl:
I did not know this about them rotating character dining! Pretty cool, also makes sense why you can't book it ahead of time. Funny some people looked annoyed but I guess I get that too, since I know some specifically go out of their way to NOT book character meals.

They started the meal by bringing their signature bread service which was corn bread and pretzel bread.
Mmm, what a delicious combination!

I feel like pretzel bread should have something with it to dip it in,
Yes, like a nice beer cheese dip!

Your Kitchen meal does look and sound like it was good, even though it wasn't your first choice. I love when that happens though, your plan doesn't go the way you expected but you're pleasantly surprised :goodvibes

So, I'm very late to this party, mostly because I've been a horrible Trip Reporter/Dining Reviewer myself.

I'm all caught up now! So first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I can't think of a better way to spend it!

My Cali Grill brunch review is up next on my list. I'm sad to hear your waiter poo-pooed you getting a 2nd entrée. When I was there, I was having a really hard time deciding between the regular eggs benedict and the lobster. My waiter encouraged me to order two and was quite persistent - but I knew there was no way I could consume that much food - literally no way, so I went with just the lobster one.

I agree - the cheddar biscuit was a total let down.

If its any consolation, your dessert plate looks way more exciting than mine was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!