F&G, Quest for the Best Burger, Desserts Galore, Signature Dining, & More -Completed 8/15

Raeven

DIS Veteran
Nice review of Homecoming and Jock Lindsey's! I love the monkey cup... it's definitely cool! I keep reading Homecoming on everyone's review and it's definitely on my list now. I gotta try them sometime but b/c DS 13 hates shopping, we don't go to Disney Springs often. I'll have to convince him sometime.
Thank you! Aw I hope you can convince him it's so good :thumbsup2

Terra Nova guy

DIS Dad #811 Newfoundland, Canada
If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the first post I've made to one of your TR's. I've been a terrible lurker :blush:

I just had to mention the Homecomin' pictures, your sides look so good. I've read a few reviews of this place and I can't wait to try it sometime.

And it really is weird about the burgers between Canada and the US. @fallonkendra is right, I have never been asked how I want my burger cooked up here, it's well done, that's it. I like a medium rare steak, but I got so used to well done burgers I don't think I could eat one that wasn't.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the first post I've made to one of your TR's. I've been a terrible lurker :blush:
:wave2: Haha well you're here now so hello!

I just had to mention the Homecomin' pictures, your sides look so good. I've read a few reviews of this place and I can't wait to try it sometime.
You should definitely try it sometime everything always looks so good there.

And it really is weird about the burgers between Canada and the US. @fallonkendra is right, I have never been asked how I want my burger cooked up here, it's well done, that's it. I like a medium rare steak, but I got so used to well done burgers I don't think I could eat one that wasn't.
That's so strange!

• fallonkendra

DIS Veteran
    :eek: I didn't even realize you could order just sides as a meal at Homecomin'! Those mashed potatoes were so good. Every time I read a new review of that place I get so excited for my wedding reception!

I need to check out Jock Lindsey's next time! Those drinks sound amazing!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    :eek: I didn't even realize you could order just sides as a meal at Homecomin'! Those mashed potatoes were so good. Every time I read a new review of that place I get so excited for my wedding reception!

I need to check out Jock Lindsey's next time! Those drinks sound amazing!
    Yes it's actually it's own dish!

I can't wait to go back and try some food at Jock Lindsey's. If we weren't eating dinner there was a few things that had sounded good to me.

Last edited:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Mythos

(Since there's a day at Universal before the next day of the Disney TR I'm going to add the 2 reviews in quickly so we can get to the next day with the TR. The Universal TR hasn't gotten here yet, but I'll catch it up soon).

Mythos is located in the Lost Continent section of Islands of Adventure. While small, I think this area is absolutely beautiful.

Including this spectacular view when you go out of Mythos the back way.

I didn't take any pictures of the interior, but I do believe I got some of it in my vlog. We were seated in a very out of the way room this time (towards the back, sectioned off from the main room). This area made it kind of hard to get the server's attention (you'll see why we needed to later in this review). We've actually been to Mythos on every single trip we've taken and always had a great meal. Last time we went I wasn't really that hungry, but in the past I've had perfectly cooked burgers, and the soup and cake has been a "must do" for us.

This was the view from our table.

We decided to order our normal appetizer: the tuscan tomato soup, gluten free version. They usually bring us each bread (Josh's is actually usually better than mine).

However this is what they brought us:

This was obviously not gluten free at all. Worst of all our server was helping a bigger party and was nowhere in sight. In fact he hadn't even brought this over someone had come out from the kitchen, thrown it onto our table, and ran away before we could say a word. When we eventually got our server's attention he promised to bring out a gluten free version, but also told us they didn't have gluten free bread and never had. :confused:

We knew this wasn't true since we've had it every other time we were there. Eventually after eating the soup for awhile (it was delicious as always, still the best tomato soup I've ever had) he came over and said they could give us hamburger buns that were gluten free to dip in it.

The buns ended up being the same bread they always give us so I'm not sure why he gave us a hard time.

I got the: Traditional Hamburger
    1/2 Pound Burger, Topped with Cheddar Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, With French Fries

I took a few "live" pictures of the burgers and soup. I think the pictures have more depth, but they're really weird because it captures the second before and after too, and when I was screenshotting this it said "live" in the corner.

I ordered the burger medium like I always do, and I was expecting it to be cooked as well as the one I've had in the past. However this one wasn't good at all...it tasted like it had been made on a grill at the family picnic. It was overdone, and just had more of a grill taste than anything else.
    I'm not sure if you can tell it's overcooked by the inside (because it does look a little pink here), but I took a picture of the inside in case you could.

Josh ordered: Mythos Signature Burger
    1/2 Pound Burger, With Grilled Onion, Shredded Lettuce, Fresh Tomato, Topped with Feta-Olive Aioli, With French Fries

I'm not sure why he ordered this because we both ordered this the first time we went and neither of us were crazy about the aioli, but he decided that's what he wanted.

And again he wasn't a fan of the aioli. :rotfl:

For dessert we ordered: Chocolate Banana Gooey Cake
    Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake, Drizzled with Caramel Sauce, Topped with Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Candied Bananas

When we ordered this another puzzling thing happened. The waiter said this dessert was NOT gluten free, but he guessed he could make an exception and make it gluten free :confused:
    Not only have we ordered this two other times without any issue, but it's also a flourless cake.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 10.00.58 PM.png

This was delicious as it usually is. All the flavors work so well together, and I love chocolate and bananas together.

Josh finished his meal with a cappuccino.

And now for some misc complaints: In the past when we've come to Mythos we've always had a booth, and the chairs we sat in we're strange and uncomfortable. We also had a little ledge near our table (part of the fake rocks the walls are made of). This little ledge was kind of gross as when I put something down on it I noticed it was covered in crumbs, sand/dirt, etc.

Overall we usually have great meals at Mythos, but we were pretty disappointed by this one. Not only were the burgers not their best, but the server did not seem to have the best knowledge of gluten free items. Obviously this also was not the best burger we had. We've decided we'll probably skip Mythos on our next trip as well.

Last edited:
  • ariane37

Dis veteran
    The dirty ledge grosses me out :crazy2: We almost tried Mythos when we went back in 2015 but didn't, however I love the design of the structure from the outside. I agree with you that the Lost Continent section is pretty cool looking!

When we were at Homecomin' Sunday a table near us got the deviled eggs and they had either bacon or ham on top when they were served. Those things were huge! Still don't want to get in to my review of our meal there but I kind of wanted to try the sampling of three sides. You said you liked the mac and cheese- was yours pretty cheesy? Was it dry at all?

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    The Kitchen

This was probably a bad idea, but the plan was to eat at Toothsome this night. It was a Saturday night at dinner time...can you see where this is going? :sad2: I guess May was a lot busier than the other two times we've been here because we've never waited more than 10 minutes. But on this day I walked over to Toothsome (the plan was dinner and then Cinematic Spectacular, but Josh forgot the EPs so he ran back to the room to get them) so I was on my own. Except when I got to the front of the line I was informed it was a 2 hour wait. I don't know about all the other people waiting there, but 2 hours is just a little too much for me.

Lucky for Josh he's dating a super planner :thumbsup2

I had a backup plan B, C, and D. And luckily we didn't have to get all the way to backup plan D. The first backup plan was Cowfish but that also had a 2 hour wait. My 2nd backup plan was The Kitchen at our hotel. I made a reservation while we walked back, but it turned out to not be needed since the restaurant was almost empty (it filled up later), and we had our pick of tables.

We picked a booth with an interesting look.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 5.41.29 PM.png

I actually love how this restaurant looks like an actual kitchen in certain areas. To our surprise after we had been sitting for a few minutes we spotted Woody Woodpecker :rotfl: He came over to our table and we took a picture.

Universal rotates it's character dining among Royal Pacific (Islands), Hard Rock (The Kitchen), and Portofino Bay (Trattoria Del Porto) on different nights of the week. My guess is it was The Kitchen's night for character dining. A fact that most people (us included) were not aware of (judging by how surprised and even annoyed other people looked when Woody came up to their tables). :rotfl:

They started the meal by bringing their signature bread service which was corn bread and pretzel bread. This was delicious, and made me glad I didn't order an appetizer. I usually find corn bread a little too sweet for before a meal (kind of like eating cake) but I did like it, and I feel like pretzel bread should have something with it to dip it in, but again it was still very good.

Poor Josh though. :sad2: The gluten free bread was basically just some gluten free toast. I think he was rather envious of my bread choices.

Remember the Baha Men? The Kitchen does :rotfl:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 10.24.11 PM.png

We had some time to look around at the pictures of celebrities who have been to The Kitchen before dinner came out.

Josh had:
    Rotisserie Chicken
    Ancho Brined, Green Beans, Confit Tomato and Mashed Potatoes

He enjoyed his meal. I tried a bite of chicken with the potatoes and it was quite good.

I got:
    Mac & Cheese
    Pasta Shells, Manchego, Monterey Jack and Cheddar.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 10.26.44 PM.png

And I clearly failed at taking a picture of it. Disappointing because it looked as good as it tasted. It also had breadcrumbs on top and I got bacon on top as well. This was just really really good. Even better than the mac and cheese at Homecoming which was delicious. After several trips of having bland mac and cheese on the Disney buffets and wondering where there was a better mac and cheese dish I have found 2 in 2 days!

The only other character that came around was Homer Simpson.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 5.41.58 PM.png

I thought the napkins were cool.

After dinner we were brought a huge tray of desserts to pick from. Of course I took a blurry picture of this too, but do you see that huge cake in the middle? We thought it was a joke, but it's the signature dessert.

3 lb slice of Kitchen Sink Cake (“A 3 pound slice of cake with seven layers of heaven including – brownies, peanut butter crunch, chocolate chunk cookies, cheesecake, pecan pie, devil’s food cake, vanilla chiffon cake, all covered in chocolate butter cream frosting, chocolate chips, chocolate sauce, and heath bar crunch.”

That's obviously not what we got though :rotfl:

I can't find a dessert menu anywhere online (makes sense because we weren't given an actual menu) so I'll try to remember what we had. Josh had a creme brulee. He asked for milk with it because he's adorable.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 5.43.51 PM.png

He wasn't a huge fan so I had some of it. It was good, but he's not big on the pudding like texture. I'm not sure why he ordered it because again he's had creme brulee in the past and didn't like it, but he doesn't listen to me when I tell him he doesn't like something :laughing:

I got the bananas foster bread pudding. This had nuts on tops, ice cream and a strawberry on the side, and a chocolate/white chocolate straw thing. This was very good, but I only finished about half of it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 10.25.16 PM.png

Overall we had a great meal at The Kitchen. We were probably there for 2 hours, and it wasn't very crowded. Our server was nice and attentive, and the characters were a fun surprise. But overall the meal felt intimate and it was nice to just get some time to relax and talk. We had watched a positive review on this restaurant a few months ago so it wasn't a huge surprise the food was good, but I was a little surprised at just how good. This obviously hadn't been my first or even second pick for the night, but I'm glad we ended up there!

Last edited:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    The dirty ledge grosses me out :crazy2: We almost tried Mythos when we went back in 2015 but didn't, however I love the design of the structure from the outside. I agree with you that the Lost Continent section is pretty cool looking!
    Josh wasn't bothered by it but :crazy2: it grossed me out too. It's the only one we've eaten at in either of the theme parks. The others don't really appeal to us, but I think next time we'll stick to Citywalk and the hotels.

When we were at Homecomin' Sunday a table near us got the deviled eggs and they had either bacon or ham on top when they were served. Those things were huge! Still don't want to get in to my review of our meal there but I kind of wanted to try the sampling of three sides. You said you liked the mac and cheese- was yours pretty cheesy? Was it dry at all?
    Haha they are huge! I think it was pretty cheesy, I didn't think it was dry at all. If you can see in the picture the cheese looks like it's everywhere because it was so gooey.

• amalone1013

DIS Veteran
    Dirty ledges/walls by the table gross me out too. Just because it isn't the table surface doesn't mean you skip it when you wipe down a table!

A tip for your waiter there: if you don't know about something, like say, the gluten free menu items, ask. and let your table know that you'll find out for them. I'm much happier to wait and get the correct information, than be told wrong. Especially when you know it's wrong! How could you make an exception to make a not gluten free dessert gluten free?!? :confused3 Weirdo.

I also get annoyed when your server ignores you for a larger table or something. Or your age... we usually tip well, but we've been ignored based on age before too. :mad:

And again he wasn't a fan of the aioli. :rotfl:
    Boys :sad2:
    :rotfl:

Josh finished his meal with a cappuccino.
    At least this looks pretty :)

Poor Josh though. :sad2: The gluten free bread was basically just some gluten free toast. I think he was rather envious of my bread choices.
    Oh no! This made me laugh... that's so sad! I'm not gluten free, so I've never been in that situation, but it almost seems it would be better to just say, Sorry we don't have any options... not Here's some dry toast!

Remember the Baha Men? The Kitchen does :rotfl:
    pluto:pluto:pluto:

I got: Mac & Cheese
    Pasta Shells, Manchego, Monterey Jack and Cheddar.

And I clearly failed at taking a picture of it. Disappointing because it looked as good as it tasted. It also had breadcrumbs on top and I got bacon on top as well. This was just really really good. Even better than the mac and cheese at Homecoming which was delicious. After several trips of having bland mac and cheese on the Disney buffets and wondering where there was a better mac and cheese dish I have found 2 in 2 days!
    Mmmmmm. I love mac and cheese. I actually have leftovers for lunch today lol.

Overall we had a great meal at The Kitchen. We were probably there for 2 hours, and it wasn't very crowded. Our server was nice and attentive, and the characters were a funny surprise. But overall the meal felt intimate and it was nice to just get some time to relax and talk. We had watched a positive review on this restaurant a few months ago so it wasn't a huge surprise the food was good, but I was a little surprised at just how good. This obviously hadn't been my first or even second pick for the night, but I'm glad we ended up there!
    This sounds like a great place. I haven't looked into Universal food yet...

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Dirty ledges/walls by the table gross me out too. Just because it isn't the table surface doesn't mean you skip it when you wipe down a table!
    Right? Gross :crazy2:

A tip for your waiter there: if you don't know about something, like say, the gluten free menu items, ask. and let your table know that you'll find out for them. I'm much happier to wait and get the correct information, than be told wrong. Especially when you know it's wrong! How could you make an exception to make a not gluten free dessert gluten free?!? :confused3 Weirdo.
    It was very strange and made no sense to me! I was wondering if he was trying to make it look like he was doing something special for us? But since we knew the cake was GF I'm not sure.

I also get annoyed when your server ignores you for a larger table or something. Or your age... we usually tip well, but we've been ignored based on age before too. :mad:
    Yes! We had pretty good servers this trip, but last trip we had a lot that either didn't acknowledge me or were rude. I've always thought it was partially because I look young which bothers me so much!

Oh no! This made me laugh... that's so sad! I'm not gluten free, so I've never been in that situation, but it almost seems it would be better to just say, Sorry we don't have any options... not Here's some dry toast!
    :laughing: A lot of restaurants don't even have gluten free bread and usually he doesn't mind because he's not big on bread. But I think he was a little disappointed because of these were different kinds of bread that he would've tried if he could. I also thought his was garlic bread at first...but no it was just toast.

:rotfl:

Mmmmmm. I love mac and cheese. I actually have leftovers for lunch today lol.
    Yum!

This sounds like a great place. I haven't looked into Universal food yet...
    It was! Universal has a lot of great places. We did have some not so great meals on this trip, but we've also had a lot of good ones. And in September we'll be trying a lot of new places there :hyper: which I'm really excited for.

fallonkendra

DIS Veteran
    Eventually after eating the soup for awhile (it was delicious as always, still the best tomato soup I've ever had)
    You need to get to Disneyland to try the tomato soup at La Brea Bakery - probably the best tomato soup I've ever had in my life!

That dirty ledge would gross me out too! Also, so weird about the server who clearly didn't understand what gluten was... I was gluten free for 4 years before being diagnosed with my Crohn's disease (I can't remember if I ever mentioned that to you before?), and servers who didn't even know what gluten was were the absolute worst.

Those desserts look so good at the Kitchen!

Ugh this! I hate when a server ignores you based on what you've ordered. We've gone to restaurants before where we actually just want to drink water and share 2-3 appetizers, and then we're basically ignored the rest of the evening because the total of our bill won't be super high. I'm typically a 18-20% tipper, but as soon as you do that to me, I'll leave like a 5% tip (enough to cover the amount the server has to pay out to the kitchen/hostess but nothing left for them).

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    You need to get to Disneyland to try the tomato soup at La Brea Bakery - probably the best tomato soup I've ever had in my life!
    Ooo sounds good! I'm not a tomato soup fan so it has to be cheesy!

That dirty ledge would gross me out too! Also, so weird about the server who clearly didn't understand what gluten was... I was gluten free for 4 years before being diagnosed with my Crohn's disease (I can't remember if I ever mentioned that to you before?), and servers who didn't even know what gluten was were the absolute worst.
    I don't know if you did mention that I think you might have. Usually when Josh says he has Celiacs people look at him funny until he explains.

Those desserts look so good at the Kitchen!
    They were! I need to go back with enough people to try that cake!

Ugh this! I hate when a server ignores you based on what you've ordered. We've gone to restaurants before where we actually just want to drink water and share 2-3 appetizers, and then we're basically ignored the rest of the evening because the total of our bill won't be super high. I'm typically a 18-20% tipper, but as soon as you do that to me, I'll leave like a 5% tip (enough to cover the amount the server has to pay out to the kitchen/hostess but nothing left for them).
    Yes that too! Like if you don't order every course and wine or something they can be rude. But I'm too nice with my tips even when people don't deserve them I still tip at least 15%.

ariane37

Dis veteran
    I guess May was a lot busier than the other two times we've been here because we've never waited more than 10 minutes.
    I don't know if you remember from my TR, but when I went in Feb. on a Thurs. night, the wait was an hour. We did wait-and were disappointed :(

Universal rotates it's character dining among Royal Pacific (Islands), Hard Rock (The Kitchen), and Portofino Bay (Trattoria Del Porto) on different nights of the week. My guess is it was The Kitchen's night for character dining. A fact that most people (us included) were not aware of (judging by how surprised and even annoyed other people looked when Woody came up to their tables). :rotfl:
    I did not know this about them rotating character dining! Pretty cool, also makes sense why you can't book it ahead of time. Funny some people looked annoyed but I guess I get that too, since I know some specifically go out of their way to NOT book character meals.

They started the meal by bringing their signature bread service which was corn bread and pretzel bread.
    Mmm, what a delicious combination!

I feel like pretzel bread should have something with it to dip it in,
    Yes, like a nice beer cheese dip!

Your Kitchen meal does look and sound like it was good, even though it wasn't your first choice. I love when that happens though, your plan doesn't go the way you expected but you're pleasantly surprised :goodvibes

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I don't know if you remember from my TR, but when I went in Feb. on a Thurs. night, the wait was an hour. We did wait-and were disappointed :(
    An hour I think we maybe could've done...but not 2. Josh loves the alfredo there and I love the strawberry cheesecake milkshake so we did really want to go back. Another thing was in our original plan we were going back another day so I just figured we'd make it there later...which didn't end up happening :sad2: I still wouldn't have waited 2 hours though.

We tried to think about what we'd done differently. When we went in September they were still soft opening and we went late (like 11ish on a Fri) so we think that might be why we didn't wait. But in December I think we went at a regular dinner time (I think on a Thurs) and only waited 10 mins. May was however a bit more crowded than the other times we've been and on that Sat the parks were pretty packed too.

I did not know this about them rotating character dining! Pretty cool, also makes sense why you can't book it ahead of time. Funny some people looked annoyed but I guess I get that too, since I know some specifically go out of their way to NOT book character meals.
    Yeah you can see which ones have it on the website I think. I knew they did it, but I wasn't even thinking about it that night. You can reserve most those places ahead of time, but it doesn't look like you have to judging by how empty it was when we got there. I do think most the people there didn't expect it :rotfl:

Mmm, what a delicious combination!
    It was!

Yes, like a nice beer cheese dip!

Your Kitchen meal does look and sound like it was good, even though it wasn't your first choice. I love when that happens though, your plan doesn't go the way you expected but you're pleasantly surprised :goodvibes
    It was a very pleasant surprise :thumbsup2

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Alright after this post and posting my last Universal vlog, I'll be caught up and can get back to my Disney TR!

Now for one of the moments you've all been waiting for (and yes there is vlog footage of this coming up):

California Grill Brunch

We were escorted up to the California Grill on the 15th floor of the Contemporary. While we waited for a table (well the 5 seconds we waited) we were offered mimosas and sparkling cranberry juice. I grabbed a mimosa and Josh grabbed the sparkling cranberry juice (which was quite good).

We did get out to see the view (though I think this picture is out of order because I think we went out after the appetizer buffet). There are quite a few more pictures, but you'll have to stay tuned to my TR to see those!
    IMG_2185.JPG

This was my attempt for an artsy California Grill mimosa picture.

IMG_2200.JPG

Next I abandoned Josh at the table to go to the appetizer buffet first :laughing: I got a cheddar biscuit (this was dry and I'd skip it along with the pastries and bagels that you can get anywhere),

House-made Charcuterie
    Orange-Honey Ham, Bison and Sweetbread Terrine, Pork Belly Rillettes, Whole-Grain Mustard, Zellwood Pickles, Pickled Pero Farms Peppers, Sweet Onion Jam

I don't think I got any of those meats above. I think there was a salami and/or prosciutto and that's what I got along with the pickles and peppers. I also grabbed one of each cheese which I wrote was a bleu cheese, and a a tillamok cheddar cheese.

Deviled Lake Meadow Farm Eggs
    crispy Lardons, Spiced Aïoli

Baby Iceberg Wedge Salad
    with Marinated Tomatoes, Cherrywood Bacon, Avocado-Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

IMG_2192.JPG

The winners of this dish were the cheddar cheese, wedge salad, and the deviled eggs. I wasn't sure I'd like the hot sauce aioli, but it was definitely my favorite thing on the plate.

I don't have a picture of Josh's appetizer plate (but it is in the vlog). He got a GF scone,

House-made Charcuterie
    Orange-Honey Ham, Bison and Sweetbread Terrine, Pork Belly Rillettes, Whole-Grain Mustard, Zellwood Pickles, Pickled Pero Farms Peppers, Sweet Onion Jam

Baby Iceberg Wedge Salad
    with Marinated Tomatoes, Cherrywood Bacon, Avocado-Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Hardwood-smoked Salmon
    with Capers, Egg, and Red Onion

California Rolls with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat

He could not eat all the things on the charcuterie board (and he didn't want to), but he did try a few things. His favorite was the hardwood-smoked salmon. He also tried sushi for the first time (I think it was a California roll) since he was inspired by a Jimmy Fallon sketch we had seen the day before where Blake Shelton tried sushi. You'll have to watch the vlog to find out if he liked it or not!

Now onto the entrees! I knew ahead of time I wanted to order 2, and frankly I think the ability to order more than one entree makes this meal worth the high price tag. However when I said I wanted 2 the waiter didn't sound completely thrilled to bring me 2, and it seemed like he was hoping I'd change my mind by telling me they were both full sized entrees.

giphy (1).gif

I was just watching White Chicks last night :rotfl:

Anyway onto our entrees for real this time! My first entree was:

Blueberry Pancakes
    Buttermilk Pancakes, Florida Blueberries, Vanilla Custard, Blueberry Compote, Powdered Sugar, warm Canadian Maple Syrup

IMG_2225.JPG

These were good, but honestly pancakes are pancakes and I don't often taste a big difference between any pancakes I have. (I should mention while I like pancakes I'm not a huge fan of them. I prefer savory things for breakfast and if I want sweet I prefer french toast). The blueberry being on top and within them was A LOT of blueberry. If you only wanted one entree I would skip these.

My dad loves to make all different kinds of pancakes (we had carrot cake ones the other day!), but when I showed him these he said "why is there bird poop on your pancakes" :laughing: Very funny, dad.

My second entree was one I had heard was surprisingly one of the best.

Pan-fried Buttermilk Organic Chicken Cutlet
    Haricot Verts, Toasted Almonds, Frisée, Beurre Noisette

IMG_2226.JPG

This was incredible! You would think a chicken cutlet would be boring (which is why all the reviews seemed surprised this was so good) but it was really really good. I devoured one of the cutlets before I even ate more than a bite of the pancakes. However I did think the second cutlet on my plate was more breading than chicken, but since I needed to save room for dessert anyway I figured I should quit while I was ahead.

Josh got:

Grilled Hanger Steak
    Two Eggs-Any Style, Chimichurri, Marble Potato Hash, Charred Red Onion

I tried some of this too, and it was pretty good. Josh was not a fan of the eggs because he didn't think they were cooked enough, but he absolutely overcooks his eggs until they're disgusting so he doesn't know good scrambled eggs :laughing:

IMG_2227.JPG

Once the waiter came to take the plates, I informed him I wanted to keep Josh's plate a little longer so I could have some more :rotfl:

7056d00f290773edf3838062061160a9.gif

He probably backed away in fear as I was eating 3 entrees at this point.

So now onto dessert!

In the vlog you'll get to see me try each dessert and how I feel about it. My plate had a passionfruit macaron, a rosemary honey truffle, (sorry there's no online menu for these) but I think it was a butter cookie with a possible chocolate center, an almond toffee salted chocolate bark, and a raspberry pastry type thing.

IMG_2236.JPG

The macaron and the truffle were the winners of this dish. A surprise to me because I'm not a huge fan of honey. The bark looked good, but was incredibly salty (something I didn't notice during my first bite). The others were just very average tasting.

I somehow took a much better picture of Josh's flourless chocolate cake with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. He liked this, but isn't a huge chocolate fan (I know he's crazy!) so he only had a few bites, and yes I ate some of this too...for research purposes.

IMG_3703.JPG

Overall this meal is totally worth the price, and it's a great experience. We got really good service here (despite the waiter questioning the amount of entrees I could eat), we loved the view, loved being able to come back later to see the fireworks (but that's a story for another time), and I do think the food was delicious and the ability to order multiple entrees means you get your money's worth. :thumbsup2

Last edited:

JessRose

Mouseketeer
    So, I'm very late to this party, mostly because I've been a horrible Trip Reporter/Dining Reviewer myself.

I'm all caught up now! So first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I can't think of a better way to spend it!

My Cali Grill brunch review is up next on my list. I'm sad to hear your waiter poo-pooed you getting a 2nd entrée. When I was there, I was having a really hard time deciding between the regular eggs benedict and the lobster. My waiter encouraged me to order two and was quite persistent - but I knew there was no way I could consume that much food - literally no way, so I went with just the lobster one.

I agree - the cheddar biscuit was a total let down.

If its any consolation, your dessert plate looks way more exciting than mine was!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.