Extra Magical Ideas?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Erin M, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

We're headed down in November with our five year old daughter. It will be our last trip for a few years so we're taking a full week to really soak it all in and do it up big. We typically do WoC Dessert Party as a special evening treat but it's become pretty clear that's not going to be an option this trip. We used to love the princess meal at Ariel's Grotto but that's gone now sooooooo we're looking for something we haven't done that is a little extra magic. We'll have a Fantasmic dining package for sure, and probably a trip to Bibbiddi Bobbiddi, we've done the Plaza Inn for breakfast and I don't think we'd repeat it this trip.

What am I missing? My five year old isn't all that impressed with fancy meals so the other dining packages seem like a bit much. We've never done Frozen at the Hyperion, maybe that's a good start?

Maybe I'm just whiny and inconsolable because I'm going to miss WoC so much... Maybe I just want to whine about it with other people who know the sadness is real, because my husband doesn't seem to understand it.

2. greewe

greewe Mouseketeer

The sadness is definitely real! Maybe a PTN package?

Erin M likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. azdisneylover

azdisneylover DIS Veteran

Plan to learn to draw characters in the Animation Building.

Erin M and rentayenta like this.
  5. rentayenta

rentayenta DIS Veteran

Where are you staying? Maybe stay on property with concierge? My kids loved staying concierge! The DLH rooms are pretty magical too.

azdisneylover and Erin M like this.
  6. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

I wish we were this trip but alas we’ll be at BWPPI. I’m saving up for DLH for two years from now so we can experience that level of magic.

azdisneylover and rentayenta like this.
  7. ExcitedMama

ExcitedMama DIS Veteran

My DD who is 5 went crazy for the parades. She really loved the Pixar one and PTN so I’d recommend checking out any parades. She is a huge BBB fan so she’d definitely recommend that. She really loved Fantasmic but told me she missed BB when I opted for the Hungry Bear Pacakge instead. If you do the first show stay for the fireworks. For some reason my Frozen lover has never asked to go back the show. It was good but didn’t wow her. She loves the little plays more if you wanted to watch the Rapunzel or Beauty and the Beast one. Does she have a favorite princess? The Royal Hall always had Snow White, Cinderella and Ariel when we went in August. I had to watch the app to make sure she got to meet the other ones she wanted to see. We always do Goofy’s on travel day which is a great way to start the trip and the only character meal for dinner. I’ve heard the food is great at Storytellers but we have never been. Mine go crazy for the light up drink cubes which they think makes any meal amazing.

azdisneylover and Erin M like this.
  8. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

Face painting is a major score with my daughter (age 5), as is getting to buy a light-up balloon (balloons are a giant pain, so I’m rarely willing).

But yes, the WOC struggle is real.

azdisneylover, Erin M and rentayenta like this.
  9. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

How about PTN with sundaes from Ghirardelli's or Clarabelle's? Think of it as a sort of make-your-own dessert party! Just about any kid we've brought to DCA has loved the sundaes from either location or ice cream bars from Clarabelle's. Will your trip dates be after the start of Holiday Time? If you'll be around for a candy cane date at either park, get one (or two!). Eat one that day (definitely big enough for a family to share) and take one home to make the magic last. (They also make great gifts!) Buy a bag full of DLR specific holiday treats, e.g. Mickey gingerbread men, holiday themed cake pops, holiday themed rice krispy treats, etc., to take home. Many of these treats freeze very well. Bringing them out for dessert or tea parties at surprise moments can really keep the magic going. (We still mail the themed rice krispy treats in college care packages -- never fails to send the magic exactly where it needs to be! And to make the lucky recipient the most popular person on the dorm floor!) Does she like Legos? A Disney Lego set from DTD can keep the magic and the memories going for quite a while until your next visit. Buying the set in DTD just makes the toy more special. Our friends' kids, even the ones from overseas, love their DLR Lego sets and play with them often while reminiscing about their favorite memories of the parks. The international kids love telling their friends about the things in "Disneyland America" while playing with the Legos. :)

viaggiamo and Erin M like this.
  10. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

I love these ideas! Thanks so much! I hadn't even thought about sundaes from Ghiradelli's which was one of my favorite things to do as a kid at the real Ghiradelli in SF. So we just might have to do that before a parade. Thanks all! We will still miss WoC but at least we have some fun new things I hadn't considered.

11. NAP14

NAP14 Earning My Ears

Lots of great ideas! Love the ice cream sundaes idea!
    I went to Party City/ Target before our trip and bought a ton of mickey and friends stuff ( posters, table and wall decorations). Before the trip I told my kiddos that I spoke to Mickey to let him know we were coming and our hotel.
    I managed to decorate the room ( and leave a note from Mickey) while dad and kids were busy. When we got back to the hotel, I told the kids Mickey must have come by our room. Pure magic!
    Just remember to bring masking tape if you do this!
    Enjoy your trip:).

viaggiamo likes this.