Express Pass Needed on a Tuesday in January?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip to Disney next January 12-19, 2019. We are staying at Disney at the Polynesian and want to plan 1-2 days at Universal (park hopper ticket). We are a party of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids, age 9). We don’t love the idea of packing and relocating, but...should we? We would then be paying for two rooms for one night of our trip, as we don’t plan to check out of our Poly room. We also plan to do the dining plan at Disney. Are two days needed to see all that we would want to see? Is the hotel room at Universal & Express Pass even needed? We are also considering just planning one day and having a down day at Disney set aside that we could use as s second Universal day if needed. TIA

I don’t have a calendar in front of me to see if you would be at uo during MLK date

3 day weekends can add crowds to the park

Rpr -hrh-Pbh include free unlimited ep for check in and check out day for the rides and shows in the parks

I don’t have a calendar in front of me to see if you would be at uo during MLK date

3 day weekends can add crowds to the park

Rpr -hrh-Pbh include free unlimited ep for check in and check out day for the rides and shows in the parks

Thank you! MLK Day is the following Monday, January 21st. We would go to Universal on either the Monday or Tuesday the week before.

When I return home, I’ll take a look and see if there will be an specific activity in the parks for those dates

There are time periods where you don’t find the parks busy or packed

When I return home, I’ll take a look and see if there will be an specific activity in the parks for those dates

There are time periods where you don’t find the parks busy or packed

Thank you! I realize I’m asking early. We just want to firm up hotel reservations if one is needed.

I'm curious if you decided to use the EP (either purchased or by booking a night on property) - as my family (2 adults, 2 teens) are planning to be there that same Tuesday! :)

I'm curious if you decided to use the EP (either purchased or by booking a night on property) - as my family (2 adults, 2 teens) are planning to be there that same Tuesday! :)

We decided to book a room on property in the least expensive resort of the three that offer the Express Pass. It was much more expensive for our family of five to buy the Express Passed as an add-on—something crazy like $500 - $600. Our room with tax at Royal Pacific is $319.50 and that gives the Express Pass for 2 days and early entry for 2 days. It made sense to us to go this route, and we are now actually excited to check out what Universal has to offer.

We have changed our plans since this post and rare now planning a split stat with Beach Club and Poly and 1 night at Universal in the middle. A little crazy, but we are excited to do it.

We decided to book a room on property in the least expensive resort of the three that offer the Express Pass. It was much more expensive for our family of five to buy the Express Passed as an add-on—something crazy like $500 - $600. Our room with tax at Royal Pacific is $319.50 and that gives the Express Pass for 2 days and early entry for 2 days. It made sense to us to go this route, and we are now actually excited to check out what Universal has to offer.

Thanks for responding (as I know this was an older thread)! We've never stayed at Royal Pacific, but have stayed at HRH several times (for the very same reason). If we were to decide we needed the EP, we'd likely do the same (just makes sense $$ wise). I need to decide what we're going to do - we're only doing 1 day and I'm not sure that we 'need' the EP for that day - but, I just keep second guessing myself! If we did we'd be 'throwing away' a night at WL (as it is on rented DVC points), which I hate to do ... So many things to consider.

Thanks again for responding!!

Thanks for responding (as I know this was an older thread)! We've never stayed at Royal Pacific, but have stayed at HRH several times (for the very same reason). If we were to decide we needed the EP, we'd likely do the same (just makes sense $$ wise). I need to decide what we're going to do - we're only doing 1 day and I'm not sure that we 'need' the EP for that day - but, I just keep second guessing myself! If we did we'd be 'throwing away' a night at WL (as it is on rented DVC points), which I hate to do ... So many things to consider.

Thanks again for responding!!

No problem, FWIW, we were more than prepared to throw away a room for convenience. That said, once we changed to a split stay to try the Beach Club, it didn’t make sense not to stay at the Universal resort. We are still unsure if we need Express Pass, but I just decided I would rather just plan for it so I’m not regretting not having it later. We also aren’t sure if we will need 2 park days at Universal, but...my boys really like Harry Potter and I honestly see us wanting the 2 days.

No problem, FWIW, we were more than prepared to throw away a room for convenience. That said, once we changed to a split stay to try the Beach Club, it didn’t make sense not to stay at the Universal resort. We are still unsure if we need Express Pass, but I just decided I would rather just plan for it so I’m not regretting not having it later. We also aren’t sure if we will need 2 park days at Universal, but...my boys really like Harry Potter and I honestly see us wanting the 2 days.

We have, before, as well - I just don't want to lose a night at Wilderness Lodge (just b/c I'm so excited to stay there for that trip... lol). I agree - if you were doing a split stay - easy decision!! I would have TOTALLY done the same! We used to do 2 days at Universal (and spend a night at Hard Rock), but have since started (though it has been a couple years since we've been back) just doing one day. Quite honestly, we do what we want there and are ready to get back to the Disney 'bubble' lol. Plus, we used to do 9 day trips, but have started doing 7 day trips during that timeframe and don't want to drop Disney down to only 5 days. If it's your first time going I would totally do the 2 days!! I swear I could spend my whole time at universal at Diagon Alley! I do enjoy the Harry Potter stuff - but, all in all, tend to prefer Disney (hence the desire to get back to Disney and dropping down to only 1 day for Universal).

I hope you guys have an amazing time! I'm guessing you have triplet boys (based on the fact that you listed them all at age 9), so if I see a family of triplet boys when we're there (and it is you) don't be surprised if some random person says 'hello!' LOL.

We have, before, as well - I just don't want to lose a night at Wilderness Lodge (just b/c I'm so excited to stay there for that trip... lol). I agree - if you were doing a split stay - easy decision!! I would have TOTALLY done the same! We used to do 2 days at Universal (and spend a night at Hard Rock), but have since started (though it has been a couple years since we've been back) just doing one day. Quite honestly, we do what we want there and are ready to get back to the Disney 'bubble' lol. Plus, we used to do 9 day trips, but have started doing 7 day trips during that timeframe and don't want to drop Disney down to only 5 days. If it's your first time going I would totally do the 2 days!! I swear I could spend my whole time at universal at Diagon Alley! I do enjoy the Harry Potter stuff - but, all in all, tend to prefer Disney (hence the desire to get back to Disney and dropping down to only 1 day for Universal).

I hope you guys have an amazing time! I'm guessing you have triplet boys (based on the fact that you listed them all at age 9), so if I see a family of triplet boys when we're there (and it is you) don't be surprised if some random person says 'hello!' LOL.

Yes, we do have triplets—2 identical and one fraternal. It would be need to run into someone from these boards. I have bed. To Universal, but it was back in 2000. At that time, I preferred Disney. I think my boys will like Universal, but they are still honestly still into the Disney Magic, so I suspect by day 2 they will be ready to go back as well, which is why I didn’t want to end at Universal.

Enjoy your trip as well! The WL is my husband’s absolute favorite resort. We wanted to stay there for at least part of this trip, and considered a studio, but we really want the boys to each have an actual bed, and 2 rooms just wasn’t in our budget. We are looking forward to trying the new Geyser Point once during our trip.

Yes, we do have triplets—2 identical and one fraternal. It would be need to run into someone from these boards. I have bed. To Universal, but it was back in 2000. At that time, I preferred Disney. I think my boys will like Universal, but they are still honestly still into the Disney Magic, so I suspect by day 2 they will be ready to go back as well, which is why I didn’t want to end at Universal.

Enjoy your trip as well! The WL is my husband’s absolute favorite resort. We wanted to stay there for at least part of this trip, and considered a studio, but we really want the boys to each have an actual bed, and 2 rooms just wasn’t in our budget. We are looking forward to trying the new Geyser Point once during our trip.

My girls (both teenagers - 17 and 15, my eldest will be 18 next month) do enjoy the 'thrill rides' at Universal that Disney just doesn't have - but, they enjoy the 'magic' at Disney. With the exception of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, the rest of Universal (while fun!!) feels just like any old amusement park to us. So, we enjoy it - but, aren't sad to leave to go back to Disney (we, too, have always made it a point to not end at Universal!).

Our last 'big' family trip, we stayed at GF (that was my eldest daughter's choice, as we were celebrating her graduation from HS), which we really did enjoy! For our big trip in Jan, my youngest has chosen WL (which I've always wanted to stay at too). With the changes there, I'm really excited to stay there! I understand about the bed situation - certainly, you guys (with 3 kiddos) have a lot more to think about in terms of lodging than my family does.

Enjoy the remainder of your planning! And, certainly, enjoy your trip!

My girls (both teenagers - 17 and 15, my eldest will be 18 next month) do enjoy the 'thrill rides' at Universal that Disney just doesn't have - but, they enjoy the 'magic' at Disney. With the exception of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, the rest of Universal (while fun!!) feels just like any old amusement park to us. So, we enjoy it - but, aren't sad to leave to go back to Disney (we, too, have always made it a point to not end at Universal!).

Our last 'big' family trip, we stayed at GF (that was my eldest daughter's choice, as we were celebrating her graduation from HS), which we really did enjoy! For our big trip in Jan, my youngest has chosen WL (which I've always wanted to stay at too). With the changes there, I'm really excited to stay there! I understand about the bed situation - certainly, you guys (with 3 kiddos) have a lot more to think about in terms of lodging than my family does.

Enjoy the remainder of your planning! And, certainly, enjoy your trip!

Wow! 18 is a big one! We have an older son who is 16, and sadly, he isn’t interested in going to either Disney or Universal anymore. I was really sad he didn’t want to go with us this trip, but there is a big age gap between him and his brothers and he plays in a band, and, well...is 16 I guess. *sigh* I think he will decide to make a return trip with us when his brothers are a little older—I hope so anyway!

Thanks so much and enjoy yours as well!

We normally spend 3 days at Universal, 7 at Disney and 1 at SeaWorld. We enjoy US as much as Disney. We love the Harry Potter lands, but our favorite is probably Spider-Man. My kids are 18 and 15 but have always loved the thrill rides at US as soon as they were able to ride them. I think you need at least 2 days, especially if you get the interactive wands and want to do the spells.

We are looking forward to Kong and Fast and Furious as we have never ridden them. While Transformers is similar to Spider-Man, their meet an greet is the best. You get very wet on their water rides in Too. lagoon so be prepared and have extra clothes or go back to the hotel for a break (I mean soaked and underwear wet, not like Splash Mountain or Jurassic Park).

Have a great trip!

Wow! 18 is a big one! We have an older son who is 16, and sadly, he isn’t interested in going to either Disney or Universal anymore. I was really sad he didn’t want to go with us this trip, but there is a big age gap between him and his brothers and he plays in a band, and, well...is 16 I guess. *sigh* I think he will decide to make a return trip with us when his brothers are a little older—I hope so anyway!

Thanks so much and enjoy yours as well!

Yes, it is - she and I are doing a 'just us two' trip 8/31-9/3 to celebrate her turning 18 (and, also, she's having a bit of anxiety about starting college, so I thought a trip would be something 'good' to look forward to, so I scheduled us a little mini trip)! I can hardly believe she is almost 18. Seems no time ago that she was just 18 months old! I'm fortunate that they (especially the oldest one) love Disney as much as I do! I dread the day that they decide that they don't want to vacation with us anymore.

I hope your teen decides to return with you guys soon!!

We're also doing a Poly/Beach Club split around the same time because we're coming for the Disney marathon (half marathon Jan 12). I would definitely suggest two days for Universal and getting park to park tickets so you can ride the Hogwarts Express. I agree with the other poster who said their kids love the thrills at Universal but the magic at Disney. That is true for our kids as well who are now 16 and 14. The Harry Potter stuff at Universal really is well done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter