Exploring shoes for Youth Boys?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
What shoes do you recommend for a 12 year old boy to wear for summer touring?
He is from up north and won't be quite used to this hot humidity and I'm concerned tennis shoes and socks might be hot.

My son is 14 and would just wear his good sweat-wicking socks (no cotton!) and normal Nikes. He wears Nike Frees so they have breathable mesh around his feet.

Keens or Tevas. I suggest, too, that he bring two different pairs of shoes to rotate throughout the trip-- maybe his athletic shoes with wick-away socks and then either the Keens or sandals (i.e. Tevas, etc.) Be sure, though, that he wears in any new shoes before your trip.

The adults in our family wear tervas but our almost 11 year old prefers his tennis shoes and socks year round.

I truly don't understand the concerns about socks and sneakers being worn year round. Is this a specific regional problem that I can't envision properly?
I wish someone would enlighten me.

So much of this depends on his feet, what is comfortable for one might not be comfortable for another. You should go with whatever he's used to. Finding out on vacation that shoes hurt your feet is terrible.

No joke! I'm guessing you don't have tween or teen boys. I have 2 teen boys and sticky feet with or without socks is a big thing. I'm with Thing 1 on this one!

Not anymore I don't; paid my debt to society a few decades back :lmao:
One was born in......'74 and the other in '80.

The older attended secondary school in the Caribbean and wore leather shoes (part of his school uniform) and sneakers everyday after school. Since the island is closer to the Equator than Florida I just wondered what about the weather on this landmass might differ causing stinky feet. Back then his footwear was washed with baking soda (deodorizer) and a few drops of ammonia or vinegar (fungicide) and although I recall many "unusual" things about my sons (I grew up in a household of girls) stinky feet wasn't a problem I encountered. Shoe inner soles were also changed on a regular basis. I will say that after leaving my home he wound up at my mother's for a time. She called me and told me his feet and shoes had an "unholy smell" (her words). She required him to put his sneakers on the terrace overnight and had him soak his feet in some back in the day concoction she made up. Interestingly enough a lot of them work. Then she bought him new sneakers and socks because grandmothers are good like that. Retaught him how to care for his feet and that's the last I heard of the great cheese caper.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'd stick with sneakers and socks if that's what he is used to wearing. WDW is not the time to try a different kind of shoe.

What shoes do you recommend for a 12 year old boy to wear for summer touring?
He is from up north and won't be quite used to this hot humidity and I'm concerned tennis shoes and socks might be hot.

I live in Texas.

If I have to walk long distances, I always wears socks and sneakers (athletic shoes, tennis shoes, etc). Wearing sandals/flip flops or the like chafes my feet. I'm guessing there are some people who have found the perfect sandals to walk long distances in. I personally haven't found those perfect sandals (and honestly haven't purposely tested many).

I also have 2 sons. If we plan on walking long distances, I make them wear socks and shoes. Just too many problems arise with sandals. Either chafing or mulch (from playgrounds) get stuck in their toes, or risk getting your toes stepped on.

Once the temps get above 90, you're gonna sweat. You're gonna sweat in sandals. You're gonna sweat in socks and shoes.

So, the question you really gotta ask yourself is would you rather sweat in your socks or would you rather risk chafing your feet? The answer is easy to me. I can walk and walk and walk with sweaty feet (and shower later). Walking with blisters/chafed feet sucks.

This summer, I am buying my kids and my husband new sneakers for WDW. They will wear them sometimes to "wear them in." I will take sandals with us for the wet rides/rain. That way their socks don't get absolutely drenched (which can also cause chafing and discomfort).

If you decide on getting new shoes or sandals for your son, I suggest buying them a couple of months in advance so he can "wear them in" and you can see if they chafe him.

Plae.... I have 2 sensory special needs kids and they love these shoes! Not cheap by any stretch, but they are durable, breathable and easy on their feet.

Personally I've never understood how 'not having socks' is in anyway shape or form cooler or more comfortable! lol I've lived in some hot climates all around the world, and some ankle socks and lightweight comfortable 'sneakers' are the way to go for me.... My wife? Well shes Birkenstocks all day everyday lol... My kids love the Plae shoes or light weight sneakers.

I find a good quality cotton sock helps wick away the sweat and creates a nice breathability of the shoes and feet, I'd hate to have the feeling of my skin on the bare inside shoe! lol

My son wears a pair of Lands End water sandals all summer, and attends a day camp for 6-8 weeks. I like that they are closed toe. He loves them and wears them out completely by the time September rolls around.

We all wear some kind of water friendly shoe when at WDW in the summertime. I prefer them to soggy socks and sneakers when the daily monsoon hits at 3pm. We bring our sneakers during the cooler months, but leave them home in the summertime.

for those that like the sneakers or tennis shoe feel, you can use reshoevn8r repellent on your shoes that makes them rather waterproof but breathable! I use this on my Nike Air Pegasus (5 pairs) and despite the usual monsoon, feet are dry and mark free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!