Exercise!

BoardwalkBabe

DIS Veteran
At the very least, I'd like to walk around the ship in the morning in an attempt to get some exercise. Is there a group walk or do I just do this on my own?

Which deck is best to power walk and how many laps = what kind of distance?

Also, do you need to sign up for exercise classes in advance or can you just show up for them?

Many thanks!

There is deck walking on Deck 4. You can walk all the way around the ship...this is also the deck where everybody boasts about the comfortable blue chairs...so don't be surprised if you're walking and the rest of your cruise companions are sleeping! :D

There are walks led as a group every morning if I remember. I think they were at 9AM. The distance is four laps = 1 mile.

I've never been in any of the exercise classes but I think you just show up for them.

In any event, getting exercise on the cruise kept me sane.. With the amount of food you (could) eat exercise is a must!

I was just looking through our old navigators and the ones on Barb's site and you need to sign up for the cardio classes (Step, kickboxing, hi/lo) in advance. I had taken the kickboxing on the Wonder and there was a cancellation list for our class. Just an FYI, the room where the classes are held is very, very SMALL, so get at Vista Spa early on your sail day to get signed up!

I know it's not really active. but I highly recommend the beach yoga on Castaway Cay.
Also, if deck 4 is crowded (or I have seen it closed when they were doing work or lifeboat drills or something), go up to deck 10. It's a great place to walk and to people watch.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Ahh! How far is it really around deck 4! DCL and every other source advertised 4 laps = 1 mile. But somehow it always seemed more than a quarter mile. On my last cruise I noticed they finally put up a sign "1 lap = .333 miles" So, as suspected, 3 laps = 1 mile!! May not sound important - until you are on deck 4 on about the 6th lap!!!

I walked around decks 9 & 10 every morning on my own... I saw the same two joggers every morning on deck 10 and a lot of other people walking around there too... We only took a tour around deck 4 once after dinner... I liked being up on deck 10 watching the sunrise and the ocean and feeling the warmth!!

We also have sen the sign 3 laps one mile and my wife was making me do the 4 with here ..... lol Deck 4 is the place to be ....

Another idea -- take the stairs everywhere. It's faster than the elevators. The elevators are so quite small!

can someone tell me if they have used the fitness rooms or what they liked best about them and what type of exercise you liked best!

I think that there is a plaque on the wall on deck 4 that says 4 laps = 1 mile and somewhere else it is painted on the wall that 3 laps = 1 mile. I believe that the 4 laps = 1 NAUTICAL mile which is longer than a US land mile. But that still is not correct because 1 Nautical mile = about 1.15 US miles (if 3 laps=1mile then 4 laps = 1.33 miles)

Don't worry about the distance. Walk for a given amount of time to give you the work out you want.

Deck 4 you have runners, walkers, shuffle board players and people standing at the rail looking at the ocean. Part of it is inside - you get to see some of the mechanics of the rope ties and the anchor chains.

Deck 10 you have chairs, loungers, wind break walls but the path is much wider and it's all outside.

I used the treadmills on the Wonder and loved it. You have this great view of the water in front of you, plus you can look down and see part of the bridge. It was such a neat view that it made it easy to get up and walk in the mornings.

However, I wouldn't recommend using the treadmills on board unless you are used to using one on land. When you first start working out on a treadmill, you can get kind of dizzy afterwards. Add that to using one while the ship is actually rocking side to side (gently, but there nonetheless) and that could be a bad combination for a newbie.

I run a minimum of four miles every day. I regularly run 4 miles in between 27 and 28 minutes. I can run 16 laps around deck 4 in just under 30 minutes, so I'd say that 1 lap is 1/4 a mile. Also on Castaway Cay day if you're lucky they'll offer a run with a castmember. We ran from the ship to just past the massage cabanas and back in a little under 30 minutes. It was pretty cool as it was just me and him. I had an opportunity to ask him a lot of questions about life on the Wonder. Hope they offer the same deal on the 10-2 Magic this year!

Also the fitness center has a couple of eylliptical trainers and several high end treadmills. Get there early as they fill up pretty quick between the time they open and about 10 AM.

If interested in an exercise route off the ship...

I just returned from the March 13-20 western Caribbean cruise. On Castaway Cay, using my Timex Speed+Distance GPS unit, I measured the distance from the dock, past the beach area, down the airstrip, and to the end of the bike path. It is exactly 2 miles to the bike path turnaround (4 miles round-trip). You can get water along the way if needed (especially if you are running in the heat of the afternoon, after playing on the beach all morning).

I used the fitness center every day on our last cruise (even weighed every day!). I also ran 4 miles every day (the Castaway Cay run with a cast member was exactly the one the Skip-n referred to). I actually didn't gain or loose any weight on the last cruise. The first cruise two years ago I gained about ten pounds! That's what convinced me to go on a diet. Between our first cruise in 10-01 and our second cruise in 10-03 I lost 97 pounds.

has anyone exercised every day of the cruise?
YES if you count the many, many repetitions of arm curls at dinner every night (you know lifting the fork from your plate to your mouth:teeth: )

I consider taking the stairs exercise and going from deck 2 to deck 9 several times a day IS exercise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter