Exclusive Entertainment on Member's Cruise?

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
What exactly does that mean? Will there be TV or movie stars? We've never been on a Disney cruise & we don't know if the Member Cruise is worth the extra points & $'s. The Sept 16th cruise is good timing for us, since we're already planning a WDW trip during that time frame. However, I wish the Sept cruise was the 3 night one. That would give us a chance to try DCL using less points. But, if the entertainment & other perks is worth it, we just might try it.

For those that have been on a member cruise before, please let me know what the exclusive entertainment consists of. Thanks!

I could list some names from prior cruises. They've had people like Roy Disney, Richard Sherman (composer), Marty Sklar and Jodi Benson (Ariel.)

The biggest name on the 2011 cruise was Joey Fatone and most of the feedback coming out of that cruise was not particularly encouraging. People who had been on multiple member cruises were pretty disappointed in the quality of the '11 voyage. Question is whether DVC will take steps to address those complaints or just continue along the same path. The member cruises historically sell out quickly so (unfortunately) there isn't much reason to improve.

As for celebrities, there should be some noteworthy folks on board but you won't know who they are until long after the booking dates have passed. If you decide to book the cruise, you'll be doing so blindly.

I took my sister on the 2011 DVC Member's Cruise. We had a great time. BUT, the DVC part was sorely lacking.

I guess I expected way more than was delivered. With DVCs 20th anniversary, the first on the Dream...I really thought it would be special. Not so much.

Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the Dream. I had a fabulous time with my sister and friends. But the DVC Member was not much more than a constant hard sell. Our *celebrity* is Joey Fatone ( still not sure who he even is ) His *show* was a lame sales pitch.

With the price hike this year.. ( last year I paid 190 points and $1200 for my sister- this year the same room is 207 points and $1500 ) they won't be wooing me back any time soon.

We did the 2009 and 2011 Member Cruises. I agree with Tammy, the cruise it self was terrific, but the member portion was a hugh let down.

One of the exclusive shows was an 'Evening with Kermit the Frog'. We actually skipped the show.

I did go up to the pool deck for a showing of the upcoming Prep & Landing special. They had gingerbread cookies, hot cocoa, all of the lights around the pool deck were red and green and they had fake snow. They also had a couple of the producers taking about the special and we got to see the entire special. This event I really enjoyed.

They also had Don 'Ducky' Williams who is most famous for his drawings of Donald. Can't really call him exclusive as he's been on over 70 DCL cruises doing his show. He presentation was enjoyable and they raffled off (for free) 20+ drawings he did before and during the presentation.

We've been on the 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Member Cruises. Over the years we've seen Art Linkletter, Roy Disney, Richard Sherman, Jodi Benson, Andrea McArdle, and many others.

The 2003-2007 cruises were fantastic from a DVC guest point of view. They started going downhill (IMHO) on the 2008 and even further on the 2009. Both of those cruises seemed like rewarmed leftovers from past cruises (same theme, some of the same gifts, some of the same guests).

I love Ducky Williams to death but he's more of a regular now than a special guest. I think they've had Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy) more than once as well.

We just felt that DVC wasn't making the cruises as special as they were in the past and therefore not of value to us anymore. Based on the reviews I've read from 2010 and 2011 my opinion on that hasn't changed.

DCL cruises are fantastic! Getting to know your fellow cruisers on a meets thread on the cruise board is fantastic (and we've met many friends through the meets threads of the DVC cruises)! To me DVC has just dropped the ball and really just think of the cruise as a way to have a captive audience to sell more points.

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping the entertainment would have more of a WOW factor. We will probably end up passing on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter