Everything PhotoPass & Memory Maker

Check the site, under My Disney Experience, My Reservations and Tickets. Scroll down toward the bottom. If you don't see it there, there is a button you can use to Link Memory Maker. That should get you up and running. If you can't get it to show up that way, then you may have to call to get it sorted out.

Are you looking in the app, or have you checked via the website as well?
On the web page I can see my confirmation number for The Memory Maker and that it's assigned to me. Do I have to do anything else like link other people's Magic bands I already have my friend set to view my pictures but I just I'm a little worried that I don't see anything in the app which is what I want to be using in the Parks

I love PhotoPass, and Memory Maker. For certain, over the years I have gotten some great pictures using them, but it is never a replacement for my own camera. Some of the most amazing pictures I have from Disney World are pictures I have taken myself. Always have that camera with you, or at least the smart phone ready to go. Last summer, the absolute ONLY picture I got with my then 13 year old son smiling was one I took at 1900 Park Fare, with him and the Mad Hatter. The Mad Hatter, by the way, has been amazing every time we have gone to 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, really, every time!

I would agree with the notion that Photopass should NOT be a replacement for your own camera. While we did have some great shots, there were some less than great shots, which is to be expected. I don't assume every Photopass photographer is a professionally trained artist (and I suspect they are not), but there were a fair number of bad shots in our inventory. I know every shot isn’t going to be perfect, but if they are only snapping 3-4 pics at each stop and 1 or 2 of them are bad? Not a great percentage. I'm not talking about people blinking, red eyes, or accidental photobombs from passerby, but other fundamental mistakes - bad framing, out of focus shots (on still subjects, not fast moving subjects), poor lighting, crooked shots, etc. I mean, if the sun is behind you and the photographer doesn't compensate with a flash, then obviously you are going to be backlit and in shadow. And if you wait for a spot in front of the Walt and Mickey statue assuming that the photographer is going to frame your party with either the statue, the castle, or hopefully both, and none of those happen? Disappointing. What exactly is the point of being in that coveted spot of real estate if you aren’t taking advantage of the special visual content inherent in that space??

That being said, I loved having the entire family in the shots, the magic shots are fun, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Just saying, if there are certain shots that you really want, be sure to check your photos in MDE in the app or website, and if you don't like them, go back and have them either retaken by the same photographer or look for a different one. Or take backup pics with your own camera.

I would agree with the notion that Photopass should NOT be a replacement for your own camera. While we did have some great shots, there were some less than great shots, which is to be expected. I don't assume every Photopass photographer is a professionally trained artist (and I suspect they are not), but there were a fair number of bad shots in our inventory. I know every shot isn’t going to be perfect, but if they are only snapping 3-4 pics at each stop and 1 or 2 of them are bad? Not a great percentage. I'm not talking about people blinking, red eyes, or accidental photobombs from passerby, but other fundamental mistakes - bad framing, out of focus shots (on still subjects, not fast moving subjects), poor lighting, crooked shots, etc. I mean, if the sun is behind you and the photographer doesn't compensate with a flash, then obviously you are going to be backlit and in shadow. And if you wait for a spot in front of the Walt and Mickey statue assuming that the photographer is going to frame your party with either the statue, the castle, or hopefully both, and none of those happen? Disappointing. What exactly is the point of being in that coveted spot of real estate if you aren’t taking advantage of the special visual content inherent in that space??

That being said, I loved having the entire family in the shots, the magic shots are fun, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Just saying, if there are certain shots that you really want, be sure to check your photos in MDE in the app or website, and if you don't like them, go back and have them either retaken by the same photographer or look for a different one. Or take backup pics with your own camera.

Many of the PhotoPass photographers are fairly young. I think well trained photographers are the exception, not the rule. Photos can, and do come out badly. Checking them, and retaking as necessary isn't a bad strategy. Bringing your own camera isn't either. If I am going to have a PhotoPass photographer take a shot for me, I will set my camera up the way I want it before it is our turn. In that way, I am pretty sure that at least the photo taken by my camera comes out well.

On the web page I can see my confirmation number for The Memory Maker and that it's assigned to me. Do I have to do anything else like link other people's Magic bands I already have my friend set to view my pictures but I just I'm a little worried that I don't see anything in the app which is what I want to be using in the Parks
If you see that you have Memory Maker, and it is assigned to you, then you are good for that aspect.

Anyone who is going to have their picture taken should be connected to you through Friends and Family. You should each go into your friends and family list, and click on the word Update next to each other's names. In the dialogue that pops up, be certain that the box next to My Disney PhotoPass Photos is filled in solid green, and save. Finally, on the Disney World website, under MyDisneyExperience, under Photography, click on My Photos. If it prompts for where your photos were taken, click Disney World, sign in again if it requires, then on the new page that opens, be sure you are on the Photos & Videos tab, and under "Want to share photos with others?" make sure you have a check mark next to "include photos shared by Family & Friends." That should be all you need to do to see your friends photos.

You won't actually see anything relating to Memory Maker until you are ready to download photos. When you are ready to download, that is when you "activate" your Memory Maker Entitlement. On the Photos & Videos tab of the PhotoPass site, select a photo to bring up it's options. Select the green "Download" button. Select the next green Download button as well. You will then see a new button pop up on the "Photos and Videos" tab page called "Download Photos." Now you can download your photos using the Memory Maker entitlement.

Many of the PhotoPass photographers are fairly young. I think well trained photographers are the exception, not the rule. Photos can, and do come out badly. Checking them, and retaking as necessary isn't a bad strategy. Bringing your own camera isn't either. If I am going to have a PhotoPass photographer take a shot for me, I will set my camera up the way I want it before it is our turn. In that way, I am pretty sure that at least the photo taken by my camera comes out well.

You would think, since MM isn't cheap by any means, that every Photopass photographer would have some form of training, or at least interest, in photography. Not Disney just handing out a camera and tripod to any number of their new CMs...

You would think, since MM isn't cheap by any means, that every Photopass photographer would have some form of training, or at least interest, in photography. Not Disney just handing out a camera and tripod to any number of their new CMs...
I think the cost of the product is exactly in line with what it costs them to provide the service, and their ability to make a profit on it. I'm pretty certain that the price would have to be significantly higher if there were more comprehensive training.

Okay. Thanks. I figured that's how it should work, I just didn't find anything that explicitly states that. Ermm.. It didn't occur to me that there was a chance those character dining may not have photos. I guess I will have to still be prepared to use our own camera. Thanks for the info.

Also know that the PhotoPass photographers at places like Chef Mickey’s are just taking a family/group photo at the front of the restaurant. They aren’t taking photos of the character interactions while you are eating.

Are there any PhotoPass photographers at Garden Grill or Liberty Tree Tavern character meals?

Are there any PhotoPass photographers at Garden Grill or Liberty Tree Tavern character meals?
No photographers at either location, and as hiro pointed out, Liberty Tree Tavern doesn't have characters. I've done a bit of searching, and can not find a comprehensive list of what dining locations do still have photographers.

If anyone knows for sure of a dining location that still has the photos, post here, and I will add that info to the first post, and endeavor to keep that as up to date as possible.

The last I knew, Chef Mickey's still had a photographer, at least for breakfast, not sure about any other times.

No photographers at either location, and as hiro pointed out, Liberty Tree Tavern doesn't have characters. I've done a bit of searching, and can not find a comprehensive list of what dining locations do still have photographers.

If anyone knows for sure of a dining location that still has the photos, post here, and I will add that info to the first post, and endeavor to keep that as up to date as possible.

The last I knew, Chef Mickey's still had a photographer, at least for breakfast, not sure about any other times.
In mid January, Ohana had a photographer outside for the one character photo opportunity, but there weren't any photographers inside the restaurant.

In mid January, Ohana had a photographer outside for the one character photo opportunity, but there weren't any photographers inside the restaurant.
What meal was this for?

I have never seen a photographer really in any restaurant. It is always something that is done on your way into the restaurant. Over the years, we have had this at 'Ohana, Cinderella's Royal Table, Chef Mickey's, and 1900 Park Fare. However, in the past few years, we have not seen any photographers at 1900 Park Fare, or 'Ohana when we've been there. We are always in Disney in August, and our 'Ohana visits are always for supper.

What meal was this for?

I have never seen a photographer really in any restaurant. It is always something that is done on your way into the restaurant. Over the years, we have had this at 'Ohana, Cinderella's Royal Table, Chef Mickey's, and 1900 Park Fare. However, in the past few years, we have not seen any photographers at 1900 Park Fare, or 'Ohana when we've been there. We are always in Disney in August, and our 'Ohana visits are always for supper.
Ohana breakfast. AFAIK, that's the only mealtime at Ohana that features characters, right?

Ohana breakfast. AFAIK, that's the only mealtime at Ohana that features characters, right?
OK . . . we've always done dinner there, so that would explain why we haven't experienced photographers there. We DID get a photo there at dinner many years ago, perhaps around 2012 or so.

I will start working on an update to the first post with meal photo opportunities.

So, I bought memory maker in advance for our most recent trip, but so far we've been underwhelmed by the photos we've gotten, and the parks have been such a zoo we haven't gotten as many as I expected.

If I don't activate the memory maker package for this trip, how long is it valid for? (I'm sure this is somewhere on the Disney website, I will try to search there more too!) We currently plan to come back in roughly a year...could I just wait and use the package for that trip instead?

And if we have one or two photos we want to pay for this time, could I just pay for them separately, or will it automatically use our memory maker package since it's sitting there in my account?

With one day left, I figure if I need to use the package this trip we should seek out some photo ops tomorrow. Maybe I'll make a little list of magic shots to take with us...but as rushed as this trip has been I might prefer to not worry about it this time.

As far as I know, when you have a Memory Maker on your account, once you get your first PhotoPass photo taken, the Memory Maker is automatically activated.

As far as I know, when you have a Memory Maker on your account, once you get your first PhotoPass photo taken, the Memory Maker is automatically activated.
But if @WaterLinds chooses not to download any photos, she can save MM for her next trip.

I’m not sure if she can purchase an individual photo via her MDX. I’m linked to a friend with an AP. I can view all his photos but if I choose to buy a photo, the only option I’m given, on the app, is purchase 1 Day of Photos, or, Memory Maker @ $199. It doesn’t offer a single photo purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!