Everything I touch turns to broken. A fantastic Festival of the Arts Trip – January 2023 (Updated 6/22!!)

We got all strapped in and the ride started, but when we got to the part where you shoot off backwards it broke down!

Thanks for this tidbit that the ride goes backwards. I have been on the fence about this ride. I am not a huge roller coaster person and I heard it was intense so I was thinking it best to skip. I don't do well going backwards (I hate Everest because of this, otherwise it is a great ride) so I know for sure it is best for me to skip.

The beef wellington was amazing. I loved this dish!
I had the beef Wellington when we were there in 2021 and it was fabulous. :)
Then, without warning, after a few minutes of sitting in the dark, we shoot off! It was so startling, yet SO FUN!
That was lucky to get there so fast when it reopened. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I won't go on it because of motion sickness but I do enjoy the preshow. :)

What a fun afternoon, despite a few malfunctions. We broke down on Guardians in what sounds like the same spot during previews and they turned the lights on. Let's just say it is very underwhelming in that room. Basically an empty room with the track going through it! But it makes sense in that most will never see it. I think I Ran and Everybody Wants to Rule the World are my favorite songs. I didn't love the holiday song. Need to try that beef wellington if I'm able to go again before the festival ends!
It was a really fun afternoon! It seems the ride breaks down in that spot a lot, it ended up breaking down there a few more times this trip! (Seriously, everything was breaking down on me!)

I actually like September as a song, thankfully since I get it all the time, but I really want all six songs so I cannot wait to finally get Disco Inferno!

The beef wellington was really good, I definitely recommend!

Thanks for this tidbit that the ride goes backwards. I have been on the fence about this ride. I am not a huge roller coaster person and I heard it was intense so I was thinking it best to skip. I don't do well going backwards (I hate Everest because of this, otherwise it is a great ride) so I know for sure it is best for me to skip.
Of course! I would say the backwards portion does feel as fast as the one on Everest, but I can see how people wouldn't like it.

I had the beef Wellington when we were there in 2021 and it was fabulous. :)
It was so good, I was pretty impressed with the food at this festival, a lot more hits than misses!
That was lucky to get there so fast when it reopened. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I won't go on it because of motion sickness but I do enjoy the preshow. :)
Oh yeah, super lucky. I was there later in the week again after it broke down and got there much later after reopening and the LL was 40 minutes to get to the preshow!

Day 1, Part 5: An Evening in Epcot!

After a nice break in the room, I headed back over to Epcot around 6:50.

I decided to head straight to the front of the park for photopass pictures.

I stopped at the wide angle one first since there was no line.

I then asked the photographer if he could point me in the direction of the photopass with the FARTs paintbrush, so he showed me where to go.

There was a line at this one, and the photographer was doing a ton of pictures with each group, so it was a fairly long wait, but so worth it. I love these pictures!

While I waited I got to watch two of the shows on SE, the Rainbow Connection and the 50th show.

After the pictures I found a place to sit and watch/film the other shows.

After watching three more shows I started to get really cold so started to make my way back to the IG. (btw, I just have to say, I loved being able to wear comfy sweatshirts in Disney. Being down there in the winter is awesome!)

On the way I saw there was a photopass photographer by the Figment ride with no line, so got some pictures there!

I then continued my way to the IG.

As I was passing Canada I decided to stop and get one last food booth item before calling it a night.

Here I got the wild mushroom risotto and the merlot.

The CM pouring the wine was great. When the pour stop stopped the flow of wine, he looked around to make sure no one was watching before he slammed the bottle on the counter to “override” the pour stop and fill up the glass! I appreciated that CM ::yes::

Food and wine in hand I made my way over to a table by the lagoon to enjoy.

This was delicious! This ended up being my other #1 dish at the festival. The risotto was cooked perfectly, and I loved the mushroom flavor. This is another one I’m sad I didn’t get for a second time.

Once done eating I started to make my way out of Epcot, but saw a new photopass picture I hadn't gotten before, so stopped to get it!

Photoshoot done, I made my way out of Epcot and back to the YC. I enjoyed some wine in bed while watching a movie before calling it a night.

Unfortunately, it was not a great night. It turns out that my room was directly below the club level lounge, and starting at around 10:30 to like 11:30/12 they started slamming around up there and rolling carts back and forth I guess cleaning up from the day.

Then at about 5:50 in the morning they started again, I guess setting up for the day. So I only ended up sleeping like 3 hours that night, which was not exactly ideal!

I know I could have gone to the front desk to ask to be moved, but I already felt like a total problem child since I was there that week on a free trip due to my complaining before, and I hate being that person that complains all the time. Plus they already told me the YC was fully booked, so I figured it wouldn’t work out anyways. Oh well, sleeping at Disney is rare anyways!

Next up: Animal Kingdom Here I Come!

Day 1 Stats:

Steps: 25,153

Miles: 10.85

Broken Things: The Plane, SE, Guardians, My Room Lock, and throwing in the Skyliner for good measure as well!

Last edited:

Once done eating I started to make my way out of Epcot, but saw a new photopass picture I hadn't gotten before, so stopped to get it!
That is a really cute picture. :)
It turns out that my room was directly below the club level lounge,
We didn't ask to be moved when we discovered that our room was under the dining room section of the lounge. It was a nice corner room and we were only there for four nights. Plus, we were all unpacked.

On the way back to the YC I was shocked to see the beach in front of the BC completely packed with people sunbathing! In all the years staying at these resorts I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone sunbathing on the beach, but every chair was full when I walked by and plenty more people were out on towels on the sand! Even odder, the pool was completely empty besides two or three families. I've never seen anything like it!
I have never seen that either! And no one by the pool/ So weird!
I spent a few minutes unpacking before heading downstairs again to the front desk to get the magicband/door lock worked out. The woman at the front desk basically chastised me for not coming to the front desk after getting my room number alert, it was a bit odd. She said that once you get the room alert you need to come to the front desk to get your bands to work, I wanted to tell her this was wrong, but it wasn’t really worth arguing about. I just wanted to take a nap!
Oh my gosh, CMs with wrong info are so annoying!
Once off the ride it was getting close to my return time for Guardians. I had booked an ILL for it right when my plane landed that morning, fortunately there were still plenty of return times to pick from at that time! My goal was to ride Guardians every day of my trip!
Love, love, love GotG!
We ended up chatting for a little while before I noticed a photopass photographer in front of the ride with no line, so hung up with my mom and headed that way for a picture.
Great pics especially the magic shot with Groot!
While getting my last picture, a guy rushes by yelling “IT JUST OPENED!!!!!” and sure enough I look over and a small crowd had grown at the entrance to Guardians and they were letting people in!
Yay!
I love this ride, it is so much fun! This time my song was I Ran.
Awesome! I've had Conga twice and One Way or the other once. I did ride in December and thought the holiday remix was ok but not my favourite.
While I waited I got to watch two of the shows on SE, the Rainbow Connection and the 50th show.
Love these shows!
Love this one so much!

Great magic PhotoPass shots! I never think to investigate those. I also, when using the IG entry, rarely make it to the front of the park b/c I'm lazy. The light show on Spaceship Earth is fantastic!

That is a really cute picture. :)
I love this one! Really any of the pictures at night with props I'm a big fan of. They're just so cool!
We didn't ask to be moved when we discovered that our room was under the dining room section of the lounge. It was a nice corner room and we were only there for four nights. Plus, we were all unpacked.
Yeah, my room wasn't a corner room, but I was unpacked, and similar to you it was only a 4 night trip. Although from now on if I see that's the room I'm assigned I'm going to request a different room. I actually went and upgraded our view for our upcoming September trip from standard to garden just to avoid being in that room again when I got back! (plus I'm sick of looking out over the porte cochere)

I have never seen that either! And no one by the pool/ So weird!
It was so odd, I've never seen the beach used as much as I did that week. There were always people out there sunbathing and playing games.
Oh my gosh, CMs with wrong info are so annoying!
Right?!? I really wanted to tell her she was wrong, but I realized it would probably just be a waste of time.
Love, love, love GotG!
Isn't it amazing? I could ride this over and over, I love it so much!
Great pics especially the magic shot with Groot!
Thanks!
Seriously, I didn't want to miss the ride that day!
Awesome! I've had Conga twice and One Way or the other once. I did ride in December and thought the holiday remix was ok but not my favourite.
I've had all songs but Disco Inferno. One of these days hopefully I'll finally get that one! I've seen a lot of people mention they weren't fans of the holiday remix. I wonder if they will change it for next year?
Love these shows!
I think these shows are my favorite addition for the 50th, they are so cool and so pretty!
Love this one so much!
Me too! I've never seen it before, but it's so cool! I really love the night shots with the lit up props!

Great magic PhotoPass shots! I never think to investigate those. I also, when using the IG entry, rarely make it to the front of the park b/c I'm lazy. The light show on Spaceship Earth is fantastic!
Thanks! I kind of stalk photopass photographers when I'm there, so it's always fun when I see one I've never seen before!

Funny you say that about making it to the front of the park when you're using the IG, we are totally the same way. It always seems like such an effort to make it up there, especially just for pictures! Especially now with all the construction walls.

Nice score on the wine! That stinks about the sleep, you still need some decent sleep at Disney to get through all the chaos.😴

Nice score on the wine! That stinks about the sleep, you still need some decent sleep at Disney to get through all the chaos.😴
Haha, so true on both points. At least this was a short trip so it wasn't too long with the interrupted sleep!

Day 2, Part 1: Animal Kingdom Here I Come!

After a mostly sleepless night I was super slow getting ready this morning.

At about 6:50 I went to book Genie+ for the day, but the app was saying I wasn’t eligible. So I used the chat feature in the app to see if a CM could help me.

The CM told me the reason it was showing me as not eligible was because the system was using my leftover tickets from the hurricane in September which already had Genie+ added to them.

Uh oh.

We had planned on using those leftover tickets for our upcoming September trip, I had bought separate tickets for this week, so I of course didn’t want the system to use our leftover tickets, I wanted it to use the tickets connected to this week!

I tell the CM this, and she needs to talk to someone higher than her to get this worked out. Fortunately she does, and get’s it all fixed for this day, and because by the time it gets worked out it was after 7, she booked me an anytime LL for any ride of my choosing at my first park of the day. So I had her book me for the Safari. I could have booked another LL at that point as well since the one she gave me was an anytime one, but I wanted to book it for my second park of the day and at that point the return times were still too early in the day.

Once that was all taken care of, I finished getting ready.

I kept checking the bus arrival time in the app, but nothing showed up for the AK.

Finally at 7:35ish I headed downstairs to catch a bus to AK. I figured being at the bus stop about an hour before early entry would be good timing. Well, I was wrong. The first bus didn’t arrive until 8:15! Early entry was supposed to start at 8:30. :sad:

The bus that picked us up was one of those tour buses too with the cloth seats, so I don’t know if they were having issues with number of buses that morning or something. :confused3 There were even people waiting for the MK that got to the bus stop at 7:20 (watched them arrive from my balcony) and no bus came for them the entire time I was waiting for the AK bus! So I feel something was going on with the buses that morning.

After loading on the bus we swung by the BC. Here we waited for what seemed like an hour, but was only about 8 minutes. I don’t know why we waited so long, but I was getting a bit perturbed since early entry was about to start and we were still at the resort!

We finally left, and fortunately it’s a quick drive over to the AK and we were pulling in a few minutes before 8:40.

I made my way over to security and once again was pulled aside for the additional screening. This ended up taking a while since there was a line and security was doing a very thorough search of peoples bags.

I have no idea what set it off this day, my phone was in my hand and the only things in my bag were my ID, credit card, chapstick, and a gift card. I swear it’s totally random!

Security ended up taking about 10 minutes, so there was only about 10 minutes left of the early entry. UGH.

I made my way to the tapstiles and finally made my way into the park!

I had booked an ILL for FoP for later that day while the CM on the app was trying to get my tickets fixed, and I had the anytime LL for the safari, so when I entered I headed to EE since I knew that line is usually nonexistent in the morning.

Sure enough, the ride was a walk on, so I ended up riding it four times in a row!

(sadly only two of the pictures showed up and I’m too lazy to try to get the others from them)

After ride number 4 I was ready for something new, so decided to go use my anytime LL for the safari.

There was a super short line here with the LL, and while in line I booked a LL for Remy for later that afternoon.

The safari today was one of the better ones I’ve ever been on! There were so many animals out and they were all very active! Even the lions were playing around!

After the safari I decided to get some Photopass pictures.

While I was up at the front of the park getting pictures I saw the CMs for the parrot show were getting set up, so headed over that way to watch.

This is such a cute show, although I always feel like the birds are going to fly into my head when the leave!

Next up: A Perfect Nomad Lunch!

Last edited:
I'll have to come back to catch up, but I'm already laughing at FARTs, my kids called it that all week long and giggled every time! :rotfl2:

I could have booked another LL at that point as well since the one she gave me was an anytime one, but I wanted to book it for my second park of the day and at that point the return times were still too early in the day.
I’m pretty sure that if you try to book a G+LL in a park other than the one you have a reservation for, it automatically gives you a return time of 2:00 (or later if return times are already pushed out beyond that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter