Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I suggest you get on the app and play around with the "tip board" and "my day" to get a feel for how information is presented. (Select the + in the bottom middle of the screen and then select the last option " my genie day and tip board.")

As for ILL times not messing up your day- when looking at ILL rides on the tip board, the next available time slot is shown. But, when you select the ride, the next screen shows you other available times and you choose. As you go through the purchase screens, the time can shift on you. This is less likely to happen if you don't pick one of the earliest available windows.

Thank you, appreciate all the tips! :disrocks::flower1:

Been several years since we have visited, first time using Genie+. I have been doing a bunch of research but I am confused. So, if I get a LL for a ride at MK @ 7:00 and the park opens at 9, can I get another LL as soon I ride or do I have to wait til 11? TIA

Your eligibility to book your next LL is based on the last one you booked.

If you book a LL at 7a.m. on a 9a.m. park open day and you tap into that LL BEFORE 11a.m. (120 minutes after park open), you are eligible when you tap in (there usually is a second tapstile).

If the LL that you booked is later than 11a.m. (or you choose to tap in later than 11a.m.) you book your second LL at 11a.m. and now that LL determines your eligibility. As in, you won't become eligible by tapping in to the one you booked at 7a.m. You will book your third when you tap into the second or at 1p.m. (120 minutes after you booked it), whichever comes first.

You can be at a bit of an advantage if you can tap into your first (or even second!) LL before 120 minutes after park open hits because a lot of folks will become eligible then - this is especially the case in MK and HS.

Been several years since we have visited, first time using Genie+. I have been doing a bunch of research but I am confused. So, if I get a LL for a ride at MK @ 7:00 and the park opens at 9, can I get another LL as soon I ride or do I have to wait til 11? TIA
Post 2 of this thread explains booking but the the first 7 posts answer many questions about Genie+ and ILL$.

Just a repeat post because I didn't quote you in my first response and your thread was moved....

Your eligibility to book your next LL is based on the last one you booked.

If you book a LL at 7a.m. on a 9a.m. park open day and you tap into that LL BEFORE 11a.m. (120 minutes after park open), you are eligible when you tap in (there usually is a second tapstile).

If the LL that you booked is later than 11a.m. (or you choose to tap in later than 11a.m.) you book your second LL at 11a.m. and now that LL determines your eligibility. As in, you won't become eligible by tapping in to the one you booked at 7a.m. You will book your third when you tap into the second or at 1p.m. (120 minutes after you booked it), whichever comes first.

You can be at a bit of an advantage if you can tap into your first (or even second!) LL before 120 minutes after park open hits because a lot of folks will become eligible then - this is especially the case in MK and HS.

Just got back from a 1 week stay... ended up using Genie + at all parks, but only $LL for FOP and Rise.

We did not pre-purchase Genie, but then had a glitch in my app all week where I could not purchase Genie+ prior to 7 am. The "purchase genie" button would not work. However, once it turned 7am and I could make LL selections, it would let me purchase genie + through those screens. So an FYI if people are having issues.

The first day I didn't know that would work so I tried chat which made me call and then it was a 20 minute wait to talk to someone... but about 10 minutes in I tried to book and LL since I was sick of sitting on hold and it worked. I never got the issue fixed (I had reinstalled the app and downloaded it onto a different device with the same problem across the board) My app was glitchy all week- stupid stuff like the tip board would only say epcot and then halfway through the week it would default to MK instead, so I had to change park every time I pulled up the tip board.

We did get a lot of use out of G+, though didn't try for slinky dog, and didn't need any super early times for anything.

No issues with $LL jumping times for FOP or Rise.
'

I had the same issue, the button would show on dd's phone. It was so very frustrating! When I tried to buy in advance on her phone, I would get an error that she wasn't logged on (she was) and I couldn't buy on my phone until 7 am.

I only purchased G+ two days of our 7 day trip. One day for HS and one for MK, and both days it worked really well. I still disagree with paying for "fast passes" and would continue to use it only if it made sense - I did not purchase for your 2nd MK day as it was only open until 4:30 and our 2nd HS day, which was our departure day and we had to leave at 1.

MK, I was able to get LL for Jungle Cruise (1st pick, 3:30), Buzz, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, BTMRR, Peter Pan. That day we rode: Seven Dwarfs, Speedway, Buzz (LL), Laugh Floor, lunch, BTMRR, and then Haunted Maison (LL). We then left to take a mid-afternoon break to the Rivera to explore and for a coffee break. When we got back to the park we did Jungle Cruise (LL), Pirates (LL), Tea Party, Dinner at Skippers Canteen, BTMRR (LL), Peter Pan (LL) and IASW.

I don't remember how our HS day went exactly, but I was able to get LL for Slinky, RnRC, TSM, and Smuggler's Run. We also rode: TOT, Runaway Railroad, RnRC (standby), and Star Tours. We also saw Beauty and Beast, Muppets, and Indiana Jones. Lunch was at Andy's and dinner at 50's Prime Time. It seems like we did something else too.......

I opted to not purchase for AK and Epcot and we were able to do everything we wanted, although we did have to wait in line for an hour or so for Frozen. I also did not buy any ILL, it seemed too high of a cost for one ride as there were 5 of us. We did Remy's and FOP with early entry as soon as the park opened with 30-45 minute waits.

These can be booked at the same time, right? The 2 hour wait doesn't apply to ILL$? So if I book Avatar with ILL$ at 7am, I can still book EE at 7:01 with Genie+?

These can be booked at the same time, right? The 2 hour wait doesn't apply to ILL$? So if I book Avatar with ILL$ at 7am, I can still book EE at 7:01 with Genie+?
Yes, both can be booked at 7AM if you are staying onsite.

Please see the posts on pg 1 for tons on information that has been gathered about G+ and ILL$

In August we plan to go to DHS in the am and hop to Epcot around 2-3p (on a day with extra evening hours) and on another day go to AK in the am and hop to MK around 2-3p (on a day with extra evening hours). This is assuming they keep the Epcot and MK EEHs the same as they are now.

I plan to buy ILL for the one available ride in each park. For the Genie+ options, is it best to just book them for the afternoon in park #2? If I book Genie+ for rides in the am parks, is it presumed nothing will be available by the time we get to park #2?

Maybe I am better off just trying to book as many as possible in Park #1 starting early in the morning and hoping some are still available once we hop?

Also, can I book Genie+ for both of our planned park days in August now or you can't do that anymore for any reservations past June 8th?

Also, can I book Genie+ for both of our planned park days in August now or you can't do that anymore for any reservations past June 8th?
Yes, you can add G+ now. The current rules for purchasing G+ will remain until 6/7. On 6/8 is when the new purchasing changes go into effect.

Last edited:
In August we plan to go to DHS in the am and hop to Epcot around 2-3p (on a day with extra evening hours) and on another day go to AK in the am and hop to MK around 2-3p (on a day with extra evening hours). This is assuming they keep the Epcot and MK EEHs the same as they are now.

I plan to buy ILL for the one available ride in each park. For the Genie+ options, is it best to just book them for the afternoon in park #2? If I book Genie+ for rides in the am parks, is it presumed nothing will be available by the time we get to park #2?

Maybe I am better off just trying to book as many as possible in Park #1 starting early in the morning and hoping some are still available once we hop?
When we were there in April, we hopped to Epcot a few times and to AK once. Our strategy was to get as many desirable LLs as we could in our first park before booking LLs for our second park. We actually managed to get TT and FEA LLs late in the day... but because we were refreshing a lot hoping they would pop up.

You may want to plan what LLs you want for AK (as in, figure out what attractions really don't require skipping the line) ...get only the LLs you really need and then start stacking for your MK hop as soon as you can.

Yes you can. Not sure this has been covered but you can add it online through MDE. Under the My Plans page, scan down to My Plans, Reservations and Tickets. Daily Itinerary is auto selected, toggle to Tickets & Memory Maker. Under your tickets for your trip is a blue 'change' option. Click that and you can add Genie + there. You will have to add it for every day of tickets just like if you added it in advance previously.

I was told you can do this until June 7th. It will no longer be available on the 8th. Glad I checked because I would have guessed we had until EOB June 8th.

When we were there in April, we hopped to Epcot a few times and to AK once. Our strategy was to get as many desirable LLs as we could in our first park before booking LLs for our second park. We actually managed to get TT and FEA LLs late in the day... but because we were refreshing a lot hoping they would pop up.

You may want to plan what LLs you want for AK (as in, figure out what attractions really don't require skipping the line) ...get only the LLs you really need and then start stacking for your MK hop as soon as you can.
This is great to know, thank you. Is Soarin tough to get, I never see it mentioned?

I called WDW to prioritize our tickets and add Genie+. The gentleman I spoke with said just to add Genie+ when there in August for each day. He was pretty adamant I couldn't do it now because we are using non-expiring tickets (except my son who has a new 2 day park hopper I purchased direct from Disney). Anyone know if this is true, I am having difficulty in MDE trying to see if I can add it. The only ticket that shows the blue change button in MDE is my son's new PH but none of existing NE tickets have that option.

Last edited:
I called WDW to prioritize our tickets and add Genie+. The gentleman I spoke with said just to add Genie+ when there in August for each day. He was pretty adamant I couldn't do it now because we are using non-expiring tickets (except my son who has a new 2 day park hopper I purchased direct from Disney). Anyone know if this is true, I am having difficulty in MDE trying to see if I can add it. The only ticket that shows the blue change button in MDE is my son's new PH but none of existing NE tickets have that option.
I'm pretty sure that he is right. "Upgrading" a ticket to add Genie+ means replacing the existing ticket with a new ticket that has all of the current features, plus Genie+. Since Disney never offered a ticket that had the non-expiration feature and Genie+, there is no ticket with those features to upgrade to. I think you're out of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter