Esta question - transiting USA

mackay_j

DIS Veteran
Hi sorry I know this isn't Disney related but I thought someone on here may know or at least know where to direct me to get an answer.

I am thinking about changing my plans and instead of traveling
1 Man to Cayman via Miami 2. return Cayman to Havana (still to buy) 3. Cayman to Man via Miami

to

1.Man to Cayman via Miami . 2 Cayman to Havana 3. Havana direct to Man . This would cut out a few flights and give me more time in Havana and Cayman and cost me less (even including change fees).

My question is will this be allowed under the esta as I know the travel to cayman doesn't count as leaving USA but will they recognise the onward ticket from Cuba to Man?

Thanks for any help.

You will just need to declare that you are transiting. You will still need the ESTA to enter USA. If you are applying for a new one, there is a question about transiting.

all that matters is that you're transiting the US on the way to cayman...
on the way back you're going cayman-cuba-man, so you aren't touching US soil on the way back....so that's fine.

but you need the esta for your transit on the way to cayman...

as an aside, i always find it annoying that you have to have an esta or visa even if you're just transiting through on the way to somewhere else..
most other countries allow you to transit without crossing passport control...makes it so much easier..
but if you transit via the USA, you must either have the esta or a visa...

by the way, i think your new plan is a better one - where you just go straight from cayman to havana and then straight to man without transiting the US

Yes better all bar one thing - I might be so sad leaving my niece and nephews in Cayman knowing I won't see them again for probably years:sad: that I might not be able to enjoy Havana. lol

My reason for the question was that USA do not count going to the Caribbean (mex or Canada) as "leaving USA" so you must be able to provide onward travel from there , but I got mixed information regarding wither they would acknowledge going to Cuba then on to Man as proof of onward travel so my ESTA would be valid. (because they may not acknowledge the travel to Cuba). I have tried emailing and phoning the US embassy for clarification. No joy there.

i still don't understand...
on the ESTA don't you just write "in transit" where it asks for the address of where you're staying in the US..

For the esta to be valid you must leave the usa with in 90 days . However, going to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada do not count as leaving the usa using a ESTA (I dont have a clue why not LOL). So if you are transiting through the USA to any of those places then you must also have a valid return ticket/ exit ticket. My problem is my ticket to leave Cayman will be to travel on to Cuba then Manchester and I am not sure if this ticket will count as its to Cuba as a way of leaving USA ESTA "owned " place

I know of this because my MIL last went through MIA to go to cayman and had to produce a valid ticket showing her leaving cayman within the 90 days to be allowed in (it was a long storey she was meant to be flying direct but plane was canceled and they could not let her board the alternative plane via mia until the esta and the valid return ticket had been purchased she got stuck down in london for 2 days and just managed to get to cayman on xmas eve to spend it with her grandchildren (she had an open return and it all had to be changed before she could go). We then studied the Esta rules in more detail and that's how I know the transit rules re caribbean, mex and canada.

the esta isn't really anything except it's what authorizes you to get on a plane in a visa waiver country...
you're getting into the US because you have a british passport for which no visa is necessary..
you don't even need an esta if you enter by land (you just need your british passport)...
so i'm still a bit confused...
are you already holding an ESTA or are you applying for a new one?

do you mean that when you arrive at the airport in the US, they're going to ask you how long you're staying in the US? where you're going? etc etc
so you tell them you're just in transit...
that you're on your way to the caymans (for however long you're going there), and then heading back home to the UK.
and you'll have an airline ticket to prove it if they ask..
so again, i'm just not sure what you're so worried about...

BA would not let my MIL board until she met the conditions of the ESTA ie she had to have a return ticket that the usa would accept - as it was BA's fault that she could not fly direct to cayman they were very helpful sorting this for her but it still took 2 days.

below is a extract from us gov site

In order to enter or pass through the USA you must satisfy the following conditions:

• You are a citizen or national of one of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries
  • You hold a valid passport – in the case of German citizens/national, the following applies: the passport must be valid for the duration of the stay at least
  • You are travelling as a tourist or on business
  • You are planning to stay for 90 days or less
  • You possess a return or onward ticket (your journey may not end in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean)
  • You are travelling with a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier. If this is not the case, you will have to apply for a visa (even if you are arriving by private aircraft, military aircraft or by private boat)

My worry is will the recognize leaving cayman to travel to cuba as a valid exit strategy. Below is from our foreign office advise re cuba travel and going to usa. I know it doesn't address leaving usa/ caribbean via cuba but its enough to worry me and that's why I am looking for clarification before I change my planned route.

Travelling to the US from Cuba
It’s possible to travel to the United States after you’ve been to Cuba. However, you may wish to take supporting documents about the purpose of your trip to Cuba in case you’re questioned by US immigration officials at the port of entry on arrival in the US. If you have any further questions or concerns, contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Print entire guide

but won't you have a ticket ending in the UK?
that's the end of your trip, not the caribbean...
your trip ends in the UK
your onward ticket ultimately gets you back to the UK...

as for cuba, you're only going there AFTER you travel to the US, not before...

if your answer to the above is no, i'd get myself a visa....
or better yet, travel to the caymans some other way than transiting the USA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter