Epcot's French Pavilion - Chefs de France Recent Exceptional Experience

JRWJR

Earning My Ears
January 4, 2021, 1:30 PM
Chefs de France Restaurant
Epcot Center, France Pavilion
Walt Disney World
Lake Buena Vista, Florida

Disappointingly closed during our last trip to Disney World in November 2020, I noticed Chefs de France popped up on the dining reservation system on “My Disney Experience” while I was planning an early January visit. We love France, French food, and the Epcot French Pavilion. I immediately booked a reservation and wondered if the quality would be good, given the inconsistent history of the establishment and the possible staffing issues that could be caused by the Covid-19 shutdown.

Upon arrival in early January, we both chose the Prix Fix meal for $49.50, which included a glass of wine, an appetizer, a main entrée, and dessert. The same selections off the menu priced out to $73.98, highlighting that this Prix Fix offer is one of the best dining values in all of Walt Disney World. To start, we selected the Casserole of Burgundian Escargots baked in parsley and garlic butter, followed by the Grilled Tenderloin of Beef Filet in green peppercorn sauce with mashed potatoes and green beans, Vanillé Crème Brulée with café au lait for my wife and espresso for me. We accompanied the meal with a carafe each of the house cabernet, which was Chateau Haut Mondain followed by a dessert wine substitute suggested by the bar tender when I asked for two Sauternes, a 2016 Fleur de Cazeau, a white Bordeaux Moelleux, which was nice, but not a true dessert wine to accompany the exceptional Crème Brulée. This French bistro restaurant must up its game in this area and offer a quality, affordable Sauterne, an iconic dessert wine of France.

I had not seen the Chateau Haut Mondain Cabernet for many years in bottle. It would not surprise me, if Disney had grabbed their production three or four years ago to use as a house wine. It was priced at $12.00 per glass, which seemed a bit high to me for a nice wine that I would rate around an 85-86. It was good enough to not detract from the meal. According to the menu, the house wine was listed as a Georges Duboeuf Selection Cabernet Sauvignon. When I inquired what wine was served as part of the Prix Fix menu, I was told Haut Mondain, and that is what appeared on my bill.

Our service, led by our waitress, Collee, was perfect. Everything was done exactly as you would expect in the best establishments. The food was excellent; served at the perfect temperature! My wife and I agreed that the medium rare beef filet was cooked “to die for.” The escargot was flavorful, cooked perfectly and seasoned to perfection. The Creme Brulee was as good as it gets.

About the French bread served at table; Chef de France’s kitchen staff makes its own mini baguettes every morning. About half the size of a regular baguette, they are a Parisian wonder and served hot to the touch with natural butter, well, I can say no more.

I mentioned how pleased we were with the whole affair to our waitress, Collee. About five minutes later, Chef Laurent Carillon, arrived at our table to thank us for our comments and to let us know how proud he was of his kitchen “team.” His appearance just added to an already wonderful overall experience.

A word about the floor orchestrator of this gastronomic event: Maître’ D, Jean Luc! I was in the deluxe travel business for five years. I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world. I always watch the Maître’ D! Chef’s de France is blessed with one of the best. Deftly moving from the reception desk to personally seat every customer throughout the restaurant, Jean Luc was perfection in motion. He was attentive, stopping by every table often, without being intrusive or asking the usual mundane questions. With a purpose, as each course was being served, he assisted the servers and, by so doing, enhanced the performance of all. Then, without hesitation, moving to the reception desk to assist the receptionist, welcome new guests and personally seat them. I noted that without exception, he personally pulled out the chair of every madame or mademoiselle. How was it possible for someone to perform all this while keeping an enthusiasm, professional demeaner and almost military bearing. I wish I had taken a video to bear witness to my assertions and to also attest that he was put in place by Hollywood casting. He looks the ideal. On the day of our visit, he did not miss a beat and amazingly, it all seemed very heartfelt, genuine, and sincere.

This was one of the best dining experiences that my wife and I have had over our many years of coming to the parks and eating in every restaurant. For the $150.00 price plus tax and tip, over a two-hour experience, you could not ask for anything more except a Sauterne with dessert. I just hope that our experience was not a one-time miracle with all the unique pieces in place for only that one, brief, moment in time. Though, if that was the case, my wife and I will be eternally grateful for having been there for it! We remain incredibly grateful to everyone on the Chefs de France staff, er. Excuse me! “Team!” that created this perfect experience for us. Thank you!

Did I mention that the weather that day was also perfect, I over-tipped gratefully, and my wife spent a fortune in the newly opened France Pavilion retail stores?

Please note, Chefs de France does not accept “Tables in Wonderland” or other Disney discounts. We loved it anyway!

My kids ate dinner there in October and they also really enjoyed it. The prix fixe is a great value.

Have you tried Monsieur Paul? I know it isn't open right now, but I just have to say that I found that to be one of the best meals I even had inside one of the parks.

Have you tried Monsieur Paul? I know it isn't open right now, but I just have to say that I found that to be one of the best meals I even had inside one of the parks.
Agree, one of our favorites in EPCOT. Unfortunately still not open, so we are going back to Chef de France. Have always had a good experience there as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter