EPCOT World Showcast - What should come next?

Trenacker

For Fortune and Glory!
A few times a year, a friend and I dust out an Excel spreadsheet to discuss a topic that never seems to get old: what pavilions would make sense for an expansion to the World Showcase?

I'll get the discussion rolling with three suggestions and an honorable mention. Let's assume that each pavilion needs a business rationale, an IP tie-in, a ride idea, an education idea, and a food service option.

• Brazil. Due to the increasing number of Brazilians vacationing in Orlando generally and Walt Disney World specifically, I think it is only a matter of time before the largest country in South America gets a spot on the Showcase. I've never seen either film, but a friend tells me that both Saludos, Amigos! and Three Caballeros could provide IP tie-ins. I suppose, if you want to do some storytelling gymnastics, you could also toss in a Wall-E conservation message, which is the direction in which I would expect an attraction to go. Perhaps a boat ride through some of Brazil's most scenic landscapes that also discusses the dangers of deforestation? I think a museum on Brazil's indigenous peoples or the history of Amazon exploration would both be very interesting. My only exposure to Brazilian cuisine has been churrascaria, but I'm happy to receive a broader education on the subject!

• Central Asia. Why not a Central Asia pavilion? You probably couldn't justify it on the number of visitors from the Near Abroad, but it would put the spotlight on a region of the world that few Westerners know much about. I can't think of a good IP tie-in. Aladdin is an obvious choice because the magic carpet ride taken during the song "A Whole New World" presumably covered some of the right ground, but it's hard to argue that Aladdin wasn't set in the Middle East proper. The Rescuers seem to have potential in light of their globe-trotting mission. Another option would be Disneynature, although I don't think any of their current filmography has taken them to the region. I'd absolutely go for a flight over cities like Samarkand and Bukhara as my ride concept, perhaps visiting them during multiple eras, including through the eyes of travelers moving west and east, during the Soviet era, and now today. I'd have to guess that an educational kiosk would give visitors some view on art and artifacts of the Silk Road. A restaurant might serve plov and various grilled meats.

• Korea. I've encountered a fair number of visitors from Korea during my trips to Walt Disney World, and seeing as how the United States has a strong relationship with the South, it makes sense to me that they might be added. I don't know of a Disney character hailing from or adventuring in Korea, but the country's enthusiasm for and dominance of e-Sports prompts me to think that Wreck-It Ralph, for all his obvious relationship to the 1980's arcade culture in the United States, would be a good host to help visitors understand the pastime. Try a VR experience involving the Sugar Rush Racers, then learn about ancient Korea or the Korean economic miracle. Korean BBQ makes an appearance at the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival, so I think it would be a welcome addition to the Showcase's permanent dining options.

• Yugoslavia gets honorable mention. As a student of that country's dissolution, I was always fascinated by how quickly it seemed to be moving toward the West culturally and economically in the last decade of the 20th century. A Yugoslavia pavilion would have worked well with Disney's hope of using his parks as a bridge between different cultures, as Yugoslavia itself was an amalgamation of different cultural and religious traditions. It would have been neat to ride a real or virtual cable car through the mountains of that country, observing castles and beaches alike. Presumably one could have learned about the country's different ethnic communities in an attached museum. I've never sampled Serbian, Croatian, or Bosniak cuisine, but here's hoping!

Ha ha! I have so many pictures on the speeder bike outside Star Tours at Hollywood Studios that I bet I'd enjoy an Endor-themed pavilion!

Brazil, yes, because South America is not represented at all. But not a boat ride, that would make three in WS alone.
Central Asia, no, because it's not a country.
Korea, no, because politics.
Yugoslavia, no. Why Yugoslavia and not any other Eastern European country?
Australia, yes. Except New Zealand would get jealous, and one third of World Showcase is already English speaking countries.

I like the idea of Brazil---I would do a Rodizio, Bralzillion style BBQ) restraurant.
I think a fun ride for that would be to use the tech in the Remy ride to have people in a football (soccer ball) that gets passed abut through people in various prts of the country---in a carnival parade for a bit, then kicked over to the beach, the forrest, bussiness districts, etc.

I think "Central Asia" is way too broad and perpetuates the idea that Americans do not see or care about specific cultures outside of the west. Same with "Yugoslavia" with the added insult of lumping together nations whoo did not want to be but were forced rto and fought wars for independence, I know many former refugees from those regions who would not be happy about that at all.

My new pavillion idea would be India---lots of tie in options with Jungle Book, great food options, Taj Mahal as the iconic structure to anchor the pavillion. Maybe a dark ride through the country where the ride vehickes look like auto rickshaws?

The other pavillin I would love to see is Botswana. I love the histroy of how they gained indiependence and would love to see that presnted in some way. Might be able to do some lose tie-ins with Wakanda/Black Panther if character tie ins have to happen.

Last edited:

I think a fun ride for that would be to use the tech in the Remy ride to have people in a football (soccer ball) that gets passed abut through people in various prts of the country---in a carnival parade for a bit, then kicked over to the beach, the forrest, bussiness districts, etc.

I love that idea!

I also like India, Australia, or Switzerland, which apparently almost happened:

1. Switzerland: Plans for the Switzerland pavilion were scrapped in 1987 when negotiations with the Swiss government fell through and there was no commercial partner willing to fund the project. The land would have been located between Italy and Germany, resembling a rural Swiss village with a huge mountain in the distance. The mountain was supposed to house an East-coast version of Disneyland’s Matterhorn bobsleds roller coaster. The Epcot attraction was designed as a cross between the Matterhorn and Space Mountain with a 230-seat restaurant above the ride’s queue. Plans for the village included a tourism center and VIP lounge and four shops: a clock and music shop, a wood carving and crafts shop, a candy and gourmet food store, and a clothing accessories boutique. (http://blog.tickets2you.com/lost-epcot-pavilions/)

Kaytieeldr, I think Brazil is the most likely future addition because of the number of Brazilian tourists that already visit the parks each year. I take your point about the other water rides on the Showcase, but I’m not sure there’s space for a ride that simulates overland expedition vehicles, and a hang-gliding or zip-lining attraction seems too similar to Soarin’.

Yugoslavia was an honorable mention. The country no longer exists as a unified whole.

The political viability of a Korea pavilion would depend on whether or not the South Korean government sponsors, and if so, insists on adding content about North Korea.

NHdisneylover, Botswana is a neat idea! Am I correct to think a safari attraction would be the most likely?

PollyannaMom, considering that only Morocco has a sponsor these days, you have to wonder why Disney never went ahead with the Switzerland plan!

The strong rumors often suggest Brazil, and more recently India. I think either would be great, but India would get my vote. If I could have any South American country, I'd probably go with Peru, but I think they are less likely to sponsor a pavilion. The rumors state as well that India might get a Jungle Book themed ride - again this is all rumor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter