epass for rental cars

kmermaid

DIS Veteran
I am from PA so I have ez pass. I see that central florida uses Epass. I saw on the website that there used to be a placard that could be issued for car rentals but it is not valid now with the onset of COVID. What is my best option in getting something for the tolls. I don't want to rely on trusting the rental company will charge me correctly.

Your PA E-ZPass will work on many (but not all) toll roads in the Central FL Area. The State of FL is in the process of joining the E-ZPass Group, so eventually E-ZPass will be accepted on all FL toll roads (and some toll bridges).

You can take the South Exit out of MCO and then head South on SR-417. Your PA E-ZPass will work on SR-417 and long as you DON'T go past Exit 6 (I Drive/World Center Dr). On the map linked to below, toll roads shown in Purple accept E-ZPass.

https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/u...Map-of-CFX-Roads-Accepting-E-ZPassFinal-1.pdf

I am from PA so I have ez pass. I see that central florida uses Epass. I saw on the website that there used to be a placard that could be issued for car rentals but it is not valid now with the onset of COVID. What is my best option in getting something for the tolls. I don't want to rely on trusting the rental company will charge me correctly.
  • E-Zpass can be used driving from the airport to WDW, if you use the south airport exit (FL-417) and exit at International Dr. If you don't plan to do any other driving in the area, you can just use your E-ZPass.
  • If your trip is a couple of months away, you can order a free E-PASS sticker. The sticker must be attached to the rental car's windshield, and scraped off before you return the car. Or you can order a portable suction-cup unit (UNI) for $15. You will also need to fund your account with a deposit.
  • You can use E-ZPass from the airport, as above, and avoid toll roads for the rest of your driving.

If I go with the UNI unit then I put in my current car and then I can go on a app and change the car information?

If I go with the UNI unit then I put in my current car and then I can go on a app and change the car information?

Yes, that’s what we did for our last trip. You can use the app or you can log on to their website to make the changes. I read on another thread that you shouldn’t change it too quickly after return, in case there’s a delay in systems syncing up. I changed the plate after we had checked in for our flight. The last tolls took several days to show up and I was worried I might be charged by the rental company.

NY and a few other states charge higher tolls for E-ZPass transponders from out of state, so check that PA doesn't do that before you switch to UNI for local use.

NY and a few other states charge higher tolls for E-ZPass transponders from out of state, so check that PA doesn't do that before you switch to UNI for local use.

But there shouldn't be anything to prevent you from having UNI and E-ZPass just not both on the car at the same time?

But there shouldn't be anything to prevent you from having UNI and E-ZPass just not both on the car at the same time?
Right. I have two Ipass transponders, one in each of our cars plus a Uni that we use when we travel in rental cars. That way, I don’t have to remove my Ipasses from our personal cars or worry about where the Ipass (which is an EZPass) can be used in FL. I recovered the cost of the Uni in a single trip, between toll discounts and avoiding rental car toll road add-ons. Part of that trip was in south FL/Miami area where everything is toll-by-plate only, so no way to avoid the rental toll premium there if I didn’t have a transponder.

I purchased this to use on rental cars, but when signing up it asks for a car so that is what I meant when I asked if it can be changed to the rental car plate.

I purchased this to use on rental cars, but when signing up it asks for a car so that is what I meant when I asked if it can be changed to the rental car plate.
OK. The post below yours answered the question.

I'm local, so I've only changed it when I bought a new car, which was last several years ago, before there was an app.

I registered my Uni with one of my personal cars, then use the app to change it to a rental plate before I take the rental car out of the garage at the airport (or wherever I pick up the rental if at WDW and use the Dolphin Alamo location). After I return the rental, I use the app to change the plate back to one of my personal cars so it doesn’t get charged for any tolls while I‘m not using it. For the Uni, CFX issues a monthly report of how much credit I have left in my account. I could also check my account balance online at any time to see if any incorrect charges are showing up. With the Uni (now), and previously with a Epass from CFX, I have not had any phantom charges appear on the account. You can also “suspend” a transponder if you want to.

I registered my Uni with one of my personal cars, then use the app to change it to a rental plate before I take the rental car out of the garage at the airport (or wherever I pick up the rental if at WDW and use the Dolphin Alamo location). After I return the rental, I use the app to change the plate back to one of my personal cars so it doesn’t get charged for any tolls while I‘m not using it. For the Uni, CFX issues a monthly report of how much credit I have left in my account. I could also check my account balance online at any time to see if any incorrect charges are showing up. With the Uni (now), and previously with a Epass from CFX, I have not had any phantom charges appear on the account. You can also “suspend” a transponder if you want to.
We switched from an OH EZPass to the CFX Uni and have had the same experience. All charges as expected and no anomalies. I do the same with registering and de-registering the rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!