Embarassing question... (kind of restaurant related)

Tinker*Kelly

Earning My Ears
Okay, so this is indeed an embarassing question, but I have to ask...

what in God's name is a 'grit' ?

I was reading Vettechick99's first trip report (awesome report by the way!) And she wrote that they got grits' at Cape May...

Being from the semi-far North... I've heard of Grits, but have obviously never tried them... what are they?

Usually a breakfast item in the US Southern region. Made from the kernel of corn. When corn has been soaked in lye and the casing has been removed it becomes Hominy. The lye is rinsed out very well and the corn is left to harden. Then the swollen hominy is ground up to the texture of tiny pellets. When boiled with water, milk and butter it becomes a cereal similar to cream of wheat. It's used as a side dish for a good old fashioned Southern breakfast

Looks kind of like mashed potato's... but rougher texture...

It depends on the grits and how they're prepared. Often times they are served with breakfast, but not always. My family likes to load them up with butter and salt and have them with breakfast, I hate this. But I do like to have shrimp and grits as a dinner item. Like I said, it depends on how they are prepared and what they are served with.

If you haven't tried them before give it a shot. I wouldn't order them as a stand alone but if they are on a buffet spoon up a bit and give it a try.

I love grits. Think grainer than Cream of Wheat and you've got the picture. They are wonderful with cheese in them!

I'm from WV and hate grits :scared: (guess I'm not a true country girl), the rest of my family loves them. They do remind me of Cream of Wheat and I don't like it either, I guess it's the texture.

I was born and raised a northern girl but married a southern Virgina boy. I find I love grits. I like them salty and buttery. My DH puts SUGAR on them. Hmmmm ... sometimes I wonder about him.

They most likely are not the healthiest item for you but worth a try. Ask someone who eats them if they are good at the restaurant you try them at. :thumbsup2

If you've ever had polenta, it's very similar.

I'm not from the south, so I am able to enjoy grits with butter and sugar (blasphame I know!) but I also like them with shrimp.

Polenta, on the other hand, I LOVE with ragu or stew. yummy!

I grew up in the Northeast and we had grits all the time--I LOVE them with butter and sugar!! Best way to eat them!!

OT when I read the OP it reminded me of the movie "My Cousin Vinny" remember when he went into the restaurant and asked "What the heck is a grit?"----

Oh and I have to say if I had never had grits and I read the first answer I would NEVER want to eat a grit!! LOL! But seriously they are good! Try them with the butter and sugar!

I was born and raised and still live in South Mississippi and had no idea the process was so involved to get grits. They are worth it though. I only eat them with salt and butter. Cheese is good and so is some jalapeno chopped up in them. They are good at any meal but down here mostly a breakfast item. Now sugar on grits...can't even imagine what that would taste like. I may have to try that this weekend. But really nothing better than some well cooked grits with salt and butter.

I love grits. Think grainer than Cream of Wheat and you've got the picture. They are wonderful with cheese in them!

Good analogy. Or, if you're not familiar with Cream of Wheat, what about Farina? That's what I thought of when DH first introduced me to grits.

I'm from TN and think they are just about the nastiest things out there EEEWWW!!!!

Being from a very small town about like Mayberry. We were raised on GRITS. If you didn't like grits you didn't really eat and mama didn't cook just for you either, everyone ate what was placed on the table. We ate our grifts with red-eye gravy and cured ham. (Yes, we grew the ham too.) You should give them a try but then again not everyone can fix good grits.

Being from up North originally myself, I learned that I loved cheese grits after marrying my DH who is from the south. Plain grits did remind me of cream of wheat.:thumbsup2

I'm not a huge fan, but cheese grits are pretty tasty. :)

:laughing: Oh my gosh, this is so funny! I love this question!!

I grew up in the south, and I love them. But I do believe they have to be made right or they are naaaassstttyyy. I love them with salt, pepper, and butter. Also like cheese grits. If you are ever driving past a Cracker Barrel, you can always try them there inexpensively, but I would definitely add something to it. I order it with cheese. Otherwise they start very plain. I also think they are much like polenta.

As you can tell from these posts, the best way to eat grits is a very personal thing! It's like asking someone the best way to fix a steak or a hamburger. My advice would be to try different things, but stay away from eating it plain. Good luck!

Being born and raised in South Carolina, I am always personally appalled when folks compare Cream of Wheat to grits...no offense to ya'll that do the comparisons...its a "Southern grit pride" issue. One tastes like creamy corn kernels and the other like, well, creamy wheat. I think the problem lies in the fact that some folks, usually those not brought up as grits being a staple, put sugar on them. Can't imagine eating them that way but....if it floats your boat....chow down. The most important thing to know about grits is that they must be cooked at least 20 minutes or they will be grainy and N_A_S_T_Y! If cooked properly, they are smooth and DE-LISH :love: My favorite is the stick to your arteries version with butter, salt, cheese, and bacon...all mixed together...MMMmmmmm.

My favorite is the stick to your arteries version with butter, salt, cheese, and bacon...all mixed together...MMMmmmmm.

Hehehe....I prefer the stick to your arteries versin too, but leave out the cheese and add in scrambled eggs. Looks SOOOO gross! But it's SOOOO GOOD!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter