Electric cooler

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
Ok , so does anyone have one? Was thinking about the amazon 54 ct. One that they sell under like 20 names. Lol. I figure i always bring a cooler with me for drinks. And it usally stays cold cold for 3 days then just cool for the next 2. At disney , and other trips , the long duration, and the inability to re ice up to good standards means like a bag of ice a day. More so at disney with there wet ice. So, what do you guys have or not have. I know, use the fridge, lol. But that will be packed with food.

We have a dorm/mini frig. You can pick a small one up for $100.

I do have a dorm fridge sitting in the basement. And i really dont need this cooler for many trips. So thats a good option. I do have a tendency to buy stuff that is cool and i think are must have things, only to not use them as much as i thought i would. The cooler can be powered by the tv, and plugged into the cab or in the bed of the truck. And can doubble as a freezer. But while it would be nice to have, for the one long disney trip im taking, i could just bring the dorm fridge and set it up outside. I usally freeze a case of water bottles for the normal cooler, and that will keep my stuff cold for the trip down.

Spencer, I bought this Igloo model earlier this year while my Aliner fridge is still on the fritz and can't get parts yet:

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Iceless-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Silver/dp/B00DVRKH4I/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2QPSGCW3Q7XU4&dchild=1&keywords=igloo+electric+cooler&qid=1633353710&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=igloo+electri,sporting,205&sr=1-6

713PwWRnf3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's 40 quart so not as big as the one you are looking at (nor as expensive). It comes with just the 12V plug so I had to order the 110AC adapter plug as well. I have a 12V plug in 3 different places in the YukonXL so it rides in the car and available whenever I want a cold drink. I also like bringing basics from home like condiments, lunch meat, cheeses, etc. so I don't end up with an extra mayo jar after every trip. At the campground I I use the AC plug (although I do have a 12V inside the Aliner but it is in an inconvenient place).

I'm glad that I got it. It worked great on the trip to Colorado.

Ed

BTW, my Igloo model does not a freezer setting like the one you're looking at. It's only a cooler that drops the interior temp by a delta temp versus the outside air. So besides being bigger, the model you're considering also gives you additional features/capabilities that the Igloo doesn't have.

I learned the hard way, though, on my January trips to the Fort with the old electric cooler to unplug the fridge at night before I went to bed (night temps were in the 40s). And then plug it back in in the morning. My cans of diet coke would start to freeze/get icy slush in them (which is not good for a bubbly soda) if I left it plugged in overnight.

Just depends on how you plan to use it.

PS - that one you're looking at says it is 40 pounds (makes sense since it has its own compressor). Empty. My Igloo is 18 by comparison.

PPS - I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Yea, lots to think on. I may just take the dorm fridge. Or just the cooler. Its nice to have, but I have been spending way too much for this trip allreay. I think i need to sleep on it . Lol. It i still want it tomorrow then ill get it. It seems like a good idea, will save on ice during the year. Plus, as you stated, good to have a back up.

Lol, i dont think i need it. I definitely want it. But with how often i may use it , it may not be worth it. Who knows ed. Sometimes if im up late and have a few adult beverages, packages show up unexpectedly on my doorstep. I have no idea why :confused3 i dont question the will of amazon:worship:

We bought an ICECO JP50 Portable Freezer 53QT 12V Car Cooler Fridge Refrigerator (icecofreezer.com) . We love it. We take it when we go camping to keep frozen food froze and cold stuff cold until the camper fridge cools down. After that it works great to keep ice cream froze solid and drinks cold to the point of becoming slushy when you pop the top. You can just imagine what it does to an adult drink. We also use this when we go to Sam's Club which is about 20 minutes or so away from home. It keeps our frozen / cold foods fresh until we get home. We will be using it on our upcoming trip to the Fort. We will have it in the back seat of the truck with drinks and sandwiches for the trip down and back home.

These are very popular among the overlanding community due to their ability to keep food fresh longer than a cooler and without the need for constant ice refreshing and soggy food. They also sip energy. They have automatic shutoff to ensure that they don't discharge the vehicle battery.

Steve

We bought an ICECO JP50 Portable Freezer 53QT 12V Car Cooler Fridge Refrigerator (icecofreezer.com) . We love it. We take it when we go camping to keep frozen food froze and cold stuff cold until the camper fridge cools down. After that it works great to keep ice cream froze solid and drinks cold to the point of becoming slushy when you pop the top. You can just imagine what it does to an adult drink. We also use this when we go to Sam's Club which is about 20 minutes or so away from home. It keeps our frozen / cold foods fresh until we get home. We will be using it on our upcoming trip to the Fort. We will have it in the back seat of the truck with drinks and sandwiches for the trip down and back home.

These are very popular among the overlanding community due to their ability to keep food fresh longer than a cooler and without the need for constant ice refreshing and soggy food. They also sip energy. They have automatic shutoff to ensure that they don't discharge the vehicle battery.

Steve
While we have never camped at WDW (So Cal DVC members), we DO do a ton of overlanding all over the southwest and up through the Sierras. Here is our Alpicool CF45 Portable Fridge we bought off Amazon in January of 2020. Will keep things frozen even on a trip to Death Valley. $300. Never let us down.

Ok, bit the bullet. And ordered one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L3FLBQ4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

It was 20 bucks off, and i had a gift card and some reward points. So it wasnt yoo much out of pocket. I figure it will be good for the camping trips anyway, and i will not have to buy ice on the go. So it will not save a ton of money, but maybe some time. And if it works well it can add to my food stocks if i need to freeze stuff. I may do that for this disney trip. An extra freezer during week one may work well. Then again, it just may hold beer wine and soda. Eaither way its a win.

Ok, bit the bullet. And ordered one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L3FLBQ4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

It was 20 bucks off, and i had a gift card and some reward points. So it wasnt yoo much out of pocket. I figure it will be good for the camping trips anyway, and i will not have to buy ice on the go. So it will not save a ton of money, but maybe some time. And if it works well it can add to my food stocks if i need to freeze stuff. I may do that for this disney trip. An extra freezer during week one may work well. Then again, it just may hold beer wine and soda. Eaither way its a win.

I'm telling you, we use the hell out of ours. One nice thing is it cools down quickly. Unlike the non-compressor models you have to pre-cool for hours, we just plug it in in the house for maybe 30 minutes before we load it and it's down to the programmed temperature. I will say this: get yourself a little clip-on thermometer to hang inside. While you can calibrate the thermostat, it may not be dead-on and you may need to set the temperature lower or higher to hit your actual target. Once you know what the "offset" is, you're good to go.

Fridge Thermometer

Ok, so its here, ill plug it in tomorrow so it can settle. Its a lot lighter then i expected. So thats good. And has enough room to be super useful. I will set it for freezer on the way down to disney, the smaller top compratment will hold snaks and stuff for the ride, we will just take them out and defrost them. There is only 2 of us on the way down, and 3 coming back. So far im happy i got the bigger one. 20211015_160112.jpg20211015_160106.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter