ECV vs Crutches concern

KevinB

Graduate of Mug Man University
I have some concerns and I am not sure really how to address them. So maybe if I explain you can give me some advice.

My DW and I have planned a WDW trip in Jun with one day at USO staying at RPR then 6 nights at CSR. I am 39 yrs old and an avid runner, until last week. I tore my MCL and possible a stress fracture of my right knee and leg. After physical therapy today I was told no weight what so ever on my leg. I am now on crutches and feel like I am useless. My DW has been awesome through this and has even talked about renting an ECV for the trip.

Last Feb, DW, and I had her parents and niece at WDW for 7 nights and we rented her father an ECV from an off site company due to his arthritis and recent knee surgery. To this day he raves about how great this trip was. We used a combination of WDW buses and the rental car. (He has a handicap permit / placard)

I really can not see myself spending 7 Days at WDW on crutches. I feel like a fool. I am afraid that everyone will stare at me and think horrid thoughts when they see a (sort of) healthy man in an ECV. The other small issue is that we don’t have a handicap permit and how far will my DW have to walk or ride the tram to meet with me after she drops me off if I am on the ECV and not on crutches. I know I could always use WDW busses instead of the rental car, but I do think about the stares.

I value your thoughts and comments as you are living what I am just learning about.

I only have a few seconds here and I am sure you will get more detailed responses from the great people here, but speaking as an ECV user at WDW with an "invisible" problem (extra bones in my feet), I say go and enjoy your trip using an EVC! That is what they are for: to allow everyone to get around and enjoy the parks. Just because you think someone's thinking something does NOT mean they are. And even if they were being insensitive, it is no reason to ruin your trip. Do what you need to do and have a great time.

:wave: Cupcake

Like the previous poster my disability is not always immediately obvious and the first time I used an ECV I felt guilty (although I desperately needed it!) You just have to ignore any strange looks and remember that you would much rather not have to use it and that you're only in it because you have no choice. On a good day I ca manage a park with a stick but at WDW it is very hard work - the distances are long, there are many slight hills and certainly some areas are not always completely level. Rent the ECV you will be glad that you did.

I want to welccome you and agree with what the other posters said.
There are people who will stare and maybe make comments, but we have heard people say DD "is cheating and doesn't need that wheelchair" when they see her sitting on a bench next to her wheelchair. She can't even stand by herself, but they don't know that from looking at her and they are making a judgement based on ignorance. You know what your need is and no one else has a right to judge. People with ecvs and wheelchairs don't get much (if any) special treatment or perks...the wheelchair or ecv is just a tool (like glasses) that allow you to do something that you could not do otherwise.
For parking, you might have enough time to get a handicapped parking permit from your state. Check on the Department of Transportation website for your state - you might even be able to download a form and get it signed by your doctor the same day. If you don't have one, the WDW bus system really is pretty good for people traveling with wheelchairs or ecvs. If you choose to drive, tell the parking CMs (each one you come to) that you have an ecv and don't have a handicapped parking permit. They normally save some spots toward the front of the parking lot for situations like that. The other thing to think about is whether your DW is going to be able to lift the pieces of the ecv out of your car. If you are not weightbearing on that leg, you really can't lift it in and out yourself.

Boy do I know how you feel! I was in Chicago on March 13th and slipped on "black ice" and broke my femur (thigh bone) right in the center (not near my hip). I still can't walk.

Get the handicapped parking permit. We did it all in one day. Got the form, got the dr. to sign it, got it notarized, then went to the dept of motor vehicles and got it that day. I got a temporary one for six months. It has saved my life!

Good luck on your trip!

May I add my 2 cents to the other posts..........Please go, enjoy and, by all means, get an ECV. I have travelled to WDW 3 times in the last 4 years with my Dear Hubby and rented an ECV for him each time........As for the transportation, we've stayed at the WL, BC and the BWI and have never had a problem with the buses. They were great....As for the "stares", ignore them........As others, I sure, have told you - "let them walk a mile in your shoes".......

I'dike to second (or third or whatever) what the others have said.

First of all, go to the MD DMV website. You should be able to print an application form for a handicap hang tag. Fill in part of it and take it to your doctor. I know in Virginia they will issue a temporary (red instead of blue) tag valid for up to six months; you doctor will have to recomment the length of time and certify the form. In Virginia, at least, I never had to spend more than 15 minutes in a DMV office to get the tag itself.

Second, RENT AN ECV!!!!! Unless you are used to it, no matter how athletic you will not be happy using a wheelchair. You are much better off using an off-site rental than Disney.

Some information for off-site rentals are:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Third -- Bring your crutches alng with you; they are useful for getting around in your room and also if it is necessary to transfer between the ECV and a ride. You might want to bring along some short bungee cords to help tie the crutches to the ECV.

Four -- Don't worry about what others may think. That is THEIR problem, not yours.

Kevin, don't hesitate to use an ECV & do not hesitate to use the WDW busses. I did both on our recent trip to WDW (last month).

I have been renting an ECV from Walker for the past few trips. I highly recommend them. I have had no problems with the people or the equipment from Walker. My "worst" :) problem was the front tire needed some air. We were at the Studios & I asked a CM, at the garage where they rent ECVs, wheelchairs, etc., about air. They allowed us to use their air pump - no big deal.

Do not be embarrassed or concerned about what others are thinking. They are not the ones with the medical concern & they probably have not experienced any kind of disability or medical concern. With crutches, I suspect you will get tired very quickly due to all the walking.

We usually drive from our resort to the parks with the ECV, but on this last trip we were three adults & a child & it was MUCH easier to take the WDW busses. I had read some not so positive comments on this bb in the past, but EVERY bus driver I encountered was so helpful & so friendly. They reminded me not to be concerned about the guests waiting to get on the bus, just take my time getting on.

On my first experience with the bus, the driver must have asked some guests to move from the seats that needed to be moved to accomodate the EVC. With these guests was a little girl about five years old. She watched very attentively as the bus driver & I got the ECV on the bus. I could tell she wasn't sure what was happening. I explained that I have bad knees & use the scooter to get around the park, etc. Her dad thanked me for my explaination.

You might want to carry your crutches with you fortimes you want to get out of the EVC - like in a restaurant or to the rest room.

As for a handicapped permit, contact your doctor. Maryland does issue a temporary handicapped hanging tag. The doctor has to fill out a portion of the form before you take it to MVA. Good chance the doctor would check off the one about not being able to walk far without resting. The MVA office in Annapolis off Rive Road is efficient. There is one station that handles only handicapped parking permits.

Send me a PM with your phone number, & I would be glad to talk to you on the phone.

It always amazes me that folks with real problems are worried about what other people will think. It seems to me that there are plenty of people in skin tight tank tops and biker shorts that should be so worried! LOL
Get the ECV and enjoy your trip.

Originally posted by Nanajo1
It always amazes me that folks with real problems are worried about what other people will think. It seems to me that there are plenty of people in skin tight tank tops and biker shorts that should be so worried! LOL
Get the ECV and enjoy your trip.

OMG! How funny & how true! On our recent trip my sister, my friend & I commented several times about the older women & the skin showing or the tight clothes that we didn't think appropriate for that mother, that grandmother, etc. :) :)

Get your doctor to sign off on the paperwork and you can go to one of the full service centers and they will give you the temp card for your window. I have seen them. I think the doctor says how long you need it for and you take the paper to the center with registration to your car and liscense(?) and they will give you one no charge right there.

Dan-tot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter