ECV just for fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckstobeme

Earning My Ears
I have listened to a lot of WDW podcasts and have never heard anyone talk about using ECVs just for fun or just to avoid walking.

of course using ECVs to take advantage of the system to get to the front of the line is wrong, and I don’t agree with that. However, what would you say about someone renting one just to avoid walking?

If someone was careful to not be in anyone’s way, drives responsibly, and in general doesn't take away from anyone else’s enjoyment of the park would you have a moral (or any other) objection with someone renting an ECV just for fun?

I have a bad back but I am usually ok to walk. The only time I will be renting an ecv is for animal kingdom. Everything there is not where it's suppose to be and there are a lot of walking back and forth. I know if I don't rent an ecv for that day I will be sorry at the end of the day. So I guess I am renting the ecv just to avoid walking lol. I however would not rent 1 at thd other parks they are too over populated and crowded and I think the ex would slow us down.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone renting from an outside vendor for fun but I don't think it would be right to rent from Disney they do run out sometimes once I ended up having to sit for 2 hours to get one. There is no front of the line pass most rides you ride the scooter through the regular line. Also it isn't a mater of driving respectfully people walk into you stop in front of you and scooters don't have brakes they stop when you let off the throttle but not on a dime. You need to watch everyone around you in order not to hit them

I have listened to a lot of WDW podcasts and have never heard anyone talk about using ECVs just for fun or just to avoid walking.

of course using ECVs to take advantage of the system to get to the front of the line is wrong, and I don’t agree with that. However, what would you say about someone renting one just to avoid walking?

If someone was careful to not be in anyone’s way, drives responsibly, and in general doesn't take away from anyone else’s enjoyment of the park would you have a moral (or any other) objection with someone renting an ECV just for fun?

Since most of the rides are streamlined for wheelchairs/ECVs, you aren't getting front of the line anymore. If you want to spend the money for it, knock yourself out, BUT remember, its not easy to get around in an ECV. You have to watch out where you are driving because people will walk out in front of you without looking, fall over you without looking, stop quickly in front of you and you are pretty much invisible to everyone until they fall and then its all your fault. You miss so much when driving an ECV because driving takes all of your concentration and you can't take the time to just sight see.

The parks are exhausting so even though someone might not "need" one I can definitely see where someone might want one. I always lose weight at DW even though I eat way more than usual. I wouldn't give up that extra walking for anything but if someone else wants to then more power to them.

I was admittedly sometimes jealous at the end of a long park day with aching feet of Mum's ECV, but I wouldn't want to actually drive one around. People were always walking in front or diving across at the last moment- made it dangerous.

And having to load and unload it from the car was a massive pain.

I think the fact that it takes so much more awareness to do the parks in an ECV takes away the fun that you may have by just scooting around. Also, you will be at butt level with all of the other people in the park. Not the best view and not what I want to see while I'm at WDW.

I use an ECV due to bad hip. It requires constant
vigilance to drive safely, especially at night. I' d give
anything for the good old days of being on my feet.
Then there is the 5th scooter in line waiting through
two buses to get back to the resort scenario....

I've toured the parks both in and out of an EVC. Anyone who thinks it's more fun IN one is welcome to it, because I didn't.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone renting from an outside vendor for fun but I don't think it would be right to rent from Disney they do run out sometimes once I ended up having to sit for 2 hours to get one...

On the other hand the buses often get backed up with ECV/wheelchair users so renting offsite adds to that problem.

The best thing is rent offsite and transport it in your own car. :)

My dd has to rent one. Due to several heart and blood pressure issues she can't do all the walking. But when she's feeling ok, she wants to walk. And then I get to drive the ECV and I love it. I have feet issues and will take it as much as she's willing to part with it (ie not nearly enough). She has rented the last 3 trips. She has a trip with a friend in Nov and our family trip in April. The rental costs were adding up so she's buying one so she'll have it at other times as well.

if you do not use one regularly at home you cannot imagine the difficulty involved in using it ESPECIALLY somewhere like WDW. you'd end up breaking something or someone.

everyone wants to avoid walking.

My husband has to use one...it slows us down considerably, is difficult to maneuver in crowds, is not easy to get on and off buses. I would only ever get one if I absolutely needed it. You have to be hyper-vigilant because the mobile guests usually aren't.

We have taken my mum with us and she needs

Oops

We have taken my mum with us every trip but our one last yr and she has an Ecv it slows us down dramatically!
We have to wait for buses that we could get on due to only 2 Ecvs being able to load,

People are always stopping in her way, if you could walk and just stop to rest when needed it would be way better for you!

Where doing our very first summer trip during July 4th wk and I'm dreading it! With it being so busy and her on a scooter, and can see her having a meltdown!

I would not do it if I had any other way.

ECVs just for fun at DisneyWorld? You came to the wrong place for answers. The people here, like me, need one for themselves for medical problems or are traveling with a loved one who needs it for medical problems. Some of our medical problems are pretty sad, chronic, maybe life-ending. Operating an ECV at WDW isn't particularly fun for the many reasons already posted. I'll throw in some additional ones. When I'm on my personal ECV and I'm with my walking loved ones, I can't hear what they're talking about, so it's as if I'm isolated and traveling alone. That's not enjoyable. Also, it's not fun getting off most rides when the seats are lower than the floor. Disney CMs won't help you up, yet there's no assistance rail to hold on to, like there is when you get out of a pool. Maybe your traveling mates can help you up, but you have to plan it so they get out of the ride vehicle first. You have to have a strategic plan for everything, even what line you get in for a hamburger. It's exhausting. The fun ebbs away.

I cannot imagine anyone using an ECV just for "fun" - you are in the WRONG place for that!

Thank you for understanding. :goodvibes

"Just for fun'??? :eek: You must have a dull life to look on riding a ECV as 'fun'!!!! :rolleyes1

Putting this on a 'disability' thread of all places!

Don't forget the fun of getting yelled at when you hit someone- even though you weren't moving or they walked into you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter