ECV and buses

katsmom4

Mouseketeer
OK so i have my husband all set to rent one. Now my question is regarding getting on and off buses. I assume if there is a designated handicap spot he would line up there so the bus driver knows that he would need to assist him. My real question is... Do my DD and I wait there with him or do we get in the regular line. I would prefer to to wait with him rather than him being all by himself. I also don't want to rock the boat either. I do know that some people may be annoyed that we would get on first if they were waiting longer. We wouldn't have a problem getting split up because we would end up at the same point eventually.

thanks

If you are staying at one of the values resorts ( not sure if the others do this) and you are at the MK some times after Happily ever after you will line up with the other people but this will be very had to miss and there really will not be a way to get in the wheel chair line.

since there are only 2 of you, definitely wait with him. ( if you were traveling with a very large group they do request that only 1 attendant wait in the HA section with the rider)

since there are only 2 of you, definitely wait with him. ( if you were traveling with a very large group they do request that only 1 attendant wait in the HA section with the rider)
No 5 or 6 can wait in the handicap area and even with more then that the CM normily do not care

We were just there wit 5 people total.

All of us were loaded at the same time and I always remained on the scooter to not take up another seat.
be very care full when you stay on the scooter on a moving buss one fell over with someone on it. lets just say her vacation was over at this point ( or at lest for the day) and not much the bus drive can do when driving down world drive.

be very care full when you stay on the scooter on a moving buss one fell over with someone on it. lets just say her vacation was over at this point ( or at lest for the day) and not much the bus drive can do when driving down world drive.

I don't know how that happened. They strapped my scooter in as well as seat belted me in on the scooter.

I don't know how that happened. They strapped my scooter in as well as seat belted me in on the scooter.
so scooter are more top heavy with someone on them ( it really depends on the scooter and person) the buss turned a corner and she went falling, I would just be careful if you do decide to ride on a bus with your scooter. like get really to put your foot down if you feel a little tip or hold on to the set or something next to you. the person that fell was texting and it really happened fast, but just be alert a little more. ( this is really for anyone reading this not just you)

If the bus takes a sharp turn, it is possible for an ECV to tip, particularly with someone sitting on it (making it more top heavy). It's more likely to occur with a 3-wheel version than a 4-wheel, but possible with either. A wheelchair has a lower center of gravity and not likely to tip. It used to be encouraged that passengers transfer off their ECVs, there seems to be a bit of a trend lately for guests to remain on the ECV; I don't know if that's policy or just drivers don't press the issue.

No 5 or 6 can wait in the handicap area and even with more then that the CM normily do not care

I've seen bus drivers allow only the ECV and 1-2 members of big parties on the bus, but only when there are 2 or more ECVs waiting, plus a full queue in the regular line.

If the bus takes a sharp turn, it is possible for an ECV to tip, particularly with someone sitting on it (making it more top heavy). It's more likely to occur with a 3-wheel version than a 4-wheel, but possible with either. A wheelchair has a lower center of gravity and not likely to tip. It used to be encouraged that passengers transfer off their ECVs, there seems to be a bit of a trend lately for guests to remain on the ECV; I don't know if that's policy or just drivers don't press the issue.

If someone is sitting in a standard wheelchair, the center of gravity is pretty high, above the axles. An ECV has the battery under the seat, and the entire chassis is close to the ground. It depends on the height of the seat and the weight of the person sitting in the seat how much the center of gravity shifts. To be on the safe side, the seat should be lowered as much as possible if the person wants to stay on the ECV while strapped on the bus/ But it would have to be a heavy person on a pretty light ECV in order to tip, IMO.

During our most recent trip (last month) we saw several instances of Guests preferring to stay on their ECV, even when the bus wasn't full.

The bus driver would have to then (attempt to) strap the Guest in with a seatbelt. Two different occasions we saw the Guest refuse to use the seatbelt. The driver would then step away, and remind them to "hang on" to the folded seats next to them.

@TammieLandry was safely buckled in (Go Tammie! :) ) BUT those Guests who chose not could have endangered themselves, and if the bus was SRO, could have also endangered those standing next to them.

I understand not wanting to get off the ECV, but if you are going to sit on the ECV while on the bus, do like @TammieLandry does, and buckle up for safety!

As someone who was born with a physical disability who has been using wheelchairs on public transportation for awhile, here's my personal opinion. I think how Disney handles mobility devices on the buses is great. If there is one or two people in the group besides the person with the disability, please board with your family member or friend.

However, if it's a larger group, don't bring everyone and troop on after them. I come from a family of six so I don't say this lightly, but don't abuse the system people. The CM may not care, but many of us who are trying to educate the public about people with disabilities do care. The perception other people get about our community can have a major impact on our lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter