Eclipse during my trip!

mkh531

Mouseketeer
So the eclipse will happen mid afternoon during our trip. I already bougt special eclipse viewing glasses, but does anyone know if Disney has any eclipse viewing areas or plans?

Orlando isn't really in the path for the full eclipse, so I don't know if Disney is going to do anything special. :confused3 ETA: The cities I've seen doing special things are the ones directly on the path, if that makes sense.

GreatAmericanEclipse_2560x1600_1.jpg

Huh, I'm so out of touch, I didn't realize there was a "path" for it, I thought everyone would see it. Well, I'm just outside of Atlanta, so I guess I'll have a decent view from here.

I live and work in direct path of total eclipse. Some schools have dismissed classes, and the place I work is having a viewing party type thing.

We're at Universal that day. I'm hoping to leave my camera / tripod in the car then go to the top level of the parking structure near totality (even the 88% for Orlando will be impressive i hope!).

Yep, our schools are dismissing for it too. We are 7 miles from 100% so we are driving 7 miles. Though mostly because we live in the woods and couldn't see it without driving out of the woods anyway
According to this site, Even 99% is not good enough. Sort of an interesting POV
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/close_enough.htm

Last edited:
Yep, out schools are dismissing for it too. We are 7 miles from 100% so we are driving 7 miles. Though mostly because we live in the woods and couldn't see it without driving out of the woods anyway
According to this site, Even 99% is not good enough. Sort of an interesting POV
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/close_enough.htm

Neat article!
I live in a 99.9% area and am driving 30 min to get into totality!

I think Orlando has an 88%. We will be there that day too and I also bought my glasses. The Orlando science museum is doing something and they will have also have some pop up spots in Orlando as well. I haven't seen anything for disney though. I keep checking. I think 80%ish will still be cool to see.

I feel like an idiot, but since Orlando isn't in the direct path, I was ignoring this. I'm actually at Universal Studios this day and it looks like the timing is 1:20 - 4:14pm. Soo...do we need the special glasses?

I feel like an idiot, but since Orlando isn't in the direct path, I was ignoring this. I'm actually at Universal Studios this day and it looks like the timing is 1:20 - 4:14pm. Soo...do we need the special glasses?
To look directly at the sun, yes you do. The NASA website has a ton of info.

Last edited:
They probably won't do anything special, but definitely check it out! Just make sure you have the glasses and @123SA make sure they're legit. Most websites are sold out now and the ones that you can buy are fakes. You don't want to hurt your eyes looking at the sun! You can always make a pinhole camera (google it, they're fairly easy) or you might be able to buy the filter plastic stuff yourself and just sort of hold it up, haha. Same goes for your camera - if you point it at the sun without the proper filters it'll burn up your camera (and your eye if you're looking through it). So please be careful! If you'll be in Orlando, you won't get the super cool effect of totality, but the moon will cover a lot of the sun which will still be neat to see. Also, that "Close enough" article made me even more excited to see it!!! We'll be in Clayton GA for the eclipse and I've already told my husband that we're sleeping at the top of the mountain, lol, because I'm not missing this!

If you plan to stare at the sun, then yes, you need special glasses. Otherwise, no.

You *can* still buy verified glasses at places like Bi-Mart, Fred Meyer, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot etc. for roughly $2. I bought a few extra glasses just in case someone nearby that day might need a pair!

Where we live we'd see 99.5% totality, and planned to make the short drive to be in the 100% path, buuuuut as luck would have it I need to be in GA that week. So I'll be around Blue Ridge/Blairsville/Hiawassee to see it instead, clear skies willing :yay:

Love the Vox link. I think it'll be a great sight to see (with protective eyewear, of course ;) ) regardless of your area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter