eBay - WWYD?

spoon2003

DIS Veteran
About 6 weeks ago, I sold a new Gianni Versace handbag for $40. It was about 15 years old but never use with tag. I recall paying about $160 for it at Loehman's. The buyer emailed saying the bag is fake and wants a refund, I said no problem, mail it back and I'll refund. She claimed the bag was sent priority (but no tracking) 4 weeks ago but I still haven't receive it. She wants a refund but I still don't have the bag. How often does USPS lose a package? In a way, I do believe she mailed the bag back (don't know why, but I'm a trusting person) would it be fair to offer her 1/2 of the money back since I didn't get the bag back? or by agreeing to refund 1/2, it seems like I got the bag and trying to rip her off? She's new to ebay with 4 positive FBs.

Just to be clear, I don't believe the bag is fake and did not knowingly advertise a fake as real.

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

I am not as trusting as you are. I think she kept the bag and wants the money too. I would tell her that you will gladly refund as soon as you receive the bag, and you are not responsible for lost mail.

I think the mindset of someone accusing you is negative and possibly willing to cheat you.

If I thought a bag was fake, I would not take a negative approach, but would probably email you and say that it was not what I was looking for and I want a refund. It sets things up to be a negative experience to tell you I think you sold me a fake. Now the package has mysteriously disappeared? They are taking you for a ride!

I agree. It smells fishy to me, too. It is just too convenient that she didn't purchase delivery confirmation and now it is "lost." :rolleyes1 Stick to your guns, and don't give her a refund until you get the purse.

I also want to add that while eBay is a great place to make a few extra bucks and snag awesome bargains; it is also a hotbed for scammers. I've learned to always be on guard. It only took once for me to be scammed as a seller, and once to be scammed as a buyer to learn this. Good luck to you! :thumbsup2

I hate to be negative, but I would agree with pp; I think you're being scammed. I'm not sure, but I do think with priority that she would have had some type of tracking number. Even if not, I know we have had to pay extra to send things priority and received a receipt. You also don't mail a package like this by using stamps and your mailbox. So, she should have a receipt she could copy to prove it. If she can't produce either, I would explain that there is nothing you can do. That's a chance she took when she chose not to have any proof that she mailed it, if she really mailed it, which I don't think she did.
So sorry you had a negative experience :guilty:

Also, if it ever comes back make sure the tags are still attached. But unless it was sent with delivery confirmation or some other tracking I would go under the assumption that it was not returned.

Also I would suggest looking carefully at her feedback, the actual comments and not just the summary and ratings.

Yeah what they said. You're being scammed. Tell her when you get the bag you will be happy to refund her money.

I have to think it's a scam as well. The fact that they have very low feedback doesn't make it any better. It's their fault if they sent it uninsured without tracking not yours. I would not refund any of the money. I have had three people tell me they did not receive their item. When we checked the tracking and I emailed them, I did not hear back from two. One guy said his wife opened the package and didn't tell him.

Even if there's no tracking, she should have a receipt from the post office showing when she shipped it and to your zip code. If she can't produce that, then I would doubt she sent it.

She's scamming you. Do not give her a penny unless you receive the bag. The worst that will happen is you'll get a negative feedback (and honestly one bad feedback from a scammer means nothing). She might file a PayPal grievance, but unless she can provide tracking information they will not side with her.

formernyer said:
She's scamming you. Do not give her a penny unless you receive the bag. The worst that will happen is you'll get a negative feedback (and honestly one bad feedback from a scammer means nothing). She might file a PayPal grievance, but unless she can provide tracking information they will not side with her.

Neg FB's from scam artists are easy to spot.

I agree - I wouldn't give her any money back. I sold a couple of things on Ebay a year or so ago and had some issues. For some reason both items took way too long to get there. One never made it and I did give the lady her money back minus shipping. The second arrived 6 weeks after I mailed it. That's when I switched to UPS and have never had anything get lost. If she mailed it UPS she would have a tracking number. If she mailed it back regular mail and didn't get insurance on it - too bad for her. That's not your fault and even if she leaves bad feedback for your account you can add your side of the story and most people will see it your way.

Did you have a picture on eBay showing the tags still attached? Have you checked her history to see if she's changed user ID's? I've been scammed as a buyer so I really feel for you. I agree and wouldn't give her any money. I would ask her to produce a receipt. It's happened with us before and the USPS did try to do something to track it even though there wasn't delivery confirmation.

I wish you luck and update us if you find anything out.

Rachel

To answer your one question, I would assume that the post office loses quite a few packages. I am guessing that 1 out of every 100 I send disappears. I ship alot and it is always a bunch at one time, almost like the whole days shipment disappeared. Never really one here and there, always in bunches. I am guessing at the 1 in 100 part.

But my post office when I go in sets stuff on trashcans after it is stamped and it just irks me to no end, what if the packages fall. After then are done with all the packages then they move them to their bins. I ship alot of tiny packages so this concerns me.

I ship alot through paypal shipping and I'll have a confirmation delivery # BUT it tends to not say anything until the package is delivered. I have more then once (probably 5 times that I can think of off hand) had them just say label printed forever. When I shipped the item.

I also give alot of my packages to my mail carrier so wonder if they get stolen or taken off the truck.

BUT this sounds like a classic ebay scam too. I am not very trusting anymore so I would not just refund the money. She should have a receipt if she sent it. I do every once in a while ship something with stamps but this is such a rare case that I don't actually see this lady doing that. And if she was returning it for a refund, you bet I would have made sure I had something that showed I sent it.

I've been selling, on ebay, for over six years. I have well over 3000 FB with a few negatives from wackos. There is always someone out to get something for nothing. DO NOT refund money without the bag in your hand. This is a typical scammer and someone else mentioned checking to see if she has changed her ID. That would give you a little more insight. If it's been more than 14 days, you can assume one thing....it's not coming. Don't be afraid of a negative feedback. You can respond to it and also leave her negative feedback, AFTER she leaves yours. Don't let this put you off from selling on ebay. It's a great way to make extra money and the good far outways the bad. Good luck and keep smiling......

I had a similar suitation about 4 weeks ago. I sold a camera on ebay for 75.00 and the camera was working fine but when the buyer received it he said that the auto focus was not working. I told him that I would be more than happy to refund his money as long as he returned the camera to me first and then I would send him a refund. Needless to say I never heard from him again. You have to be careful when selling items on ebay, most people are honest but you do have some that are not. Good luck I hope you resolve your problem and remember never send a refund without getting your item back.

BWV Studio Sister's only trip 9-27 to 10-6 :maleficen MNSSHP 10-2 and :drinking1 F&W
BWV 1-Bedroom Family trip 12-1 to 12-11 :santa: MVMCP 12-2 and Candlelight Processional
BCV 1-Bedroom :cheer2: Cheerleading trip 1-16 to 1-23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter