Ebay Question - Can I Sell These??

DNBois

DIS Veterans & CBR Lovers!!!
I have been selling/buying on ebay for over a year; every time I find something that I am ready to throw out, I think that perhaps someone may actually have an interest in buying it - the whole 'someone's trash may be someone else's treasure' theory has proven true in many cases.
However, today, after returning from an optometrist appt., I learned that my prescription has changed. When I got home, I found 4 old green tinted disposable contacts and was ready to throw them out when I thought that perhaps I could sell them on ebay (they are worth about 30 dollars and it seems a waste to throw them out). I also found two blue colored contacts (no prescription) that I could place with the others as a bonus. My husband just worries about liability and now I also think that may be an issue.
Has everyone ever had this dilemma? I have just been trying to fund our upcoming Disney trip with anything that I can find to sell but are contact lenses going too far? And if not, is there some sort of waiver I should place in my ad in case anything may go wrong? For example, what if someone comes down with an eye infection or worse and blames it on the contacts? Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Are they unopened? If not, who would buy open/used contact lenses. If they are unopened, I would imagine someone with more money than brains would buy them. They really should be fitted by a professional.

Anybody can sue for anything..but that aside..here is the list of items you can't sell on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/prohibited-items.html

If these are prescription devices, then I would say no. Oops..I just read the list..here is yoru answer:

eBay does not permit the listing of any controlled drug or item that requires a prescription from a licensed practitioner (such as a doctor, dentist, or optometrist) to dispense. Certain drugs, such as insulin, come in prescription and non-prescription forms. Such drugs may also be prohibited. If you are uncertain as to the permissibility of your item, please contact eBay prior to listing. Examples of prescription items not permitted on eBay include, but are not limited to:

Contact lenses
Prescription eyewear (vintage eyeglasses sold for collectible purposes are permitted)
Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) units
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators (TENS) machines
Defibrillators
(Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) CPAP machines
All forms of insulin (including non-prescription forms

Hi

I might be wrong but I thought you had to get your eyes measured for those contacts??... I dont think it would be wise to try and sell those. I would be concerned about infection and liability- also, even if you put some kind of statement in your ad, there are ways around it.

I am also an Ebayer and I am also trying to sell whatever I can for my Disney trip- so far I have purchased 3 of the 4 park passes and am working on some meal vouchers.

Best of luck to you!!

Lisa

I decided that I shouldn't sell them - the only reason I even thought I might try, is that other ebayers are selling prescriptions contact lenses on ebay so I guess their policies are not being enforced.
And yes - they are unopened as well as some other unopened lenses I found with another prescription (apparently, my eyes have got progessively worse within the past couple of years). Of well! I may just check with friends on their type of contact and their prescription and give them away - all together, it ends up being almost $70 worth of lenses.
Anyway, thanks for the advice!!!

If they are unopened you may be able to "give them back" to the optomitrist. My eyecare professional lets me switch them for any change in prescription--so long as they are not passed the expiration date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter