E-Pass toll sticker in a rental

lilmc

DIS Veteran
I was all prepped and researched on the Visitor Toll Pass pilot program at MCO and was ready to go....then COVID happened and messed that up like with everything else. Now as I go to order a transponder for a potential upcoming trip, I’m not sure the removable one for $14.95 makes sense. Why not just get a new free sticker each time we come to the Orlando area and put a new rental car on the account each time? As long as I remember to remove each one from each rental car so I don’t incur someone else’s charges, is there a reason I can’t do this? Am I missing something?

I just got a regular transponder and enter my rental car info each time. I keep a balance of about $15/20 on there. I have used it for several years, for 2 trips a year to FL. (we live in NJ)

I just got a regular transponder and enter my rental car info each time. I keep a balance of about $15/20 on there. I have used it for several years, for 2 trips a year to FL. (we live in NJ)

The sticker one (free) or the suction cup one ($14.95)?

Ok, I called E-Pass and have answered my own questions, but want to put this here for reference for others in the future.

With the temporary suspension of the Visitor Pass program, you can create an account online ahead of time, order the free toll sticker, it needs a license plate number, so enter your current car, when the pass comes in the mail, do not open it, the packaging keeps it from incurring tolls, travel with it, when the rental car is obtained, then can call, use website, or the app to edit and change the license plate and vehicle information, apply to the rental car’s windshield and voila! Just remember to remove when you return the car. Repeat for your next trip in the future with ordering a new sticker.

He did say there are discussions of reinstating the Visitor Pass, but with flights to Orlando down 90%, the demand is not there yet, hopefully again some day.

Ok, I called E-Pass and have answered my own questions, but want to put this here for reference for others in the future.

With the temporary suspension of the Visitor Pass program, you can create an account online ahead of time, order the free toll sticker, it needs a license plate number, so enter your current car, when the pass comes in the mail, do not open it, the packaging keeps it from incurring tolls, travel with it, when the rental car is obtained, then can call, use website, or the app to edit and change the license plate and vehicle information, apply to the rental car’s windshield and voila! Just remember to remove when you return the car. Repeat for your next trip in the future with ordering a new sticker.

He did say there are discussions of reinstating the Visitor Pass, but with flights to Orlando down 90%, the demand is not there yet, hopefully again some day.

And I'll add that we ordered the free Sicker version and made it removable/reusable by taping it to a re-stickable window decal. Worked great and should work fine on multiple trips.

I have done this for several years now. It isn't a money saver by any stretch, but I decided the convenience factor was worth it. I understand that certain transponders may be a better deal in that they include Florida as well as all the "EZ Pass" states. If you do any amount of tolled driving in multiple states, it might be worthwhile to figure out which state offers the best transponder deal.

I understand that certain transponders may be a better deal in that they include Florida as well as all the "EZ Pass" states.
At this time, E-PASS UNI is the only transponder that works in E-ZPass states as well as all FL tollroads. It can be ordered online for $15.

FL DOT says that SunPass interoperability with E-ZPass will be implemented by the end of this year -- but they said the same thing a few years ago and nothing came of it. If they ever really do get interoperability in place, they'll probably offer a new E-ZPass compatible transponder, at which point it, UNI, or any E-ZPass will work on all 3 systems.

Last edited:

I have done this for several years now. It isn't a money saver by any stretch, but I decided the convenience factor was worth it. I understand that certain transponders may be a better deal in that they include Florida as well as all the "EZ Pass" states. If you do any amount of tolled driving in multiple states, it might be worthwhile to figure out which state offers the best transponder deal.
I've done the same with EZ Pass from Pennsylvania. But I agree, the financial savings doesn't seem to be a money saver.

Have PA EZpass too but ordered the FL transponder years ago...well worth the $

Only problem i have with FL’s system is now & again when i remove the rental car plate from the system when in the garage...

I wind up getting a violation from rental car company for the last toll or two on the greenway. Spoke to them & told the state’s system can lag to post the tolls after the car is returned.

Not a huge issue, need to prove the transponder was used previously during the trip and Alamo waived fees while the FL system processed our payment using our account.

At this time, E-PASS UNI is the only transponder that works in E-ZPass states as well as all FL tollroads. It can be ordered online for $15.

FL DOT says that SunPass interoperability with E-ZPass will be implemented by the end of this year -- but they said the same thing a few years ago and nothing came of it. If they ever really do get interoperability in place, they'll probably offer a new E-ZPass compatible transponder, at which point it, UNI, or any E-ZPass will work on all 3 systems.
Yes, I completely forgot about this. Still, the UNI seems like a pretty good deal considering how many states it works in. I suppose full interoperability will get a bigger push to the finish line once cashless tolling takes over and people start noticing the incompatibilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter