e-pass toll in a rental car

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I've just read that rental cars (in the Orlando area) can go through the tolls without a transponder and the toll will be placed on the rental bill. Has anyone done this yet? What is the 'service charge' that the car company applies?

It sounds great since the toll boths are getting backed up when we go down there and they have express lanes for the e-pass.

I just got my own sunpass instead. Works great!

Never had more than four or five car wait when using tolls booths in the Orlando area.

I just looked on the Alamo website and it just stated a "per-day fee" + tolls. If I remember correctly it is around $2 per day when this program started.

A couple of years ago I got my own Sunpass, since when I go to WDW I venture off property and visit both coasts.

I have used it with Hertz. Seems like it was $2.50 plus the toll charge. You are only charged on the days you use it. The first time I used it there was some HUGE backup at the toll and I was trying to get to the airport! Well worth it LOL!

Budget adds on a charge on top of the toll which is more than the toll itself.

Oh my admin charge of $2.50 was greater then the two toll fees of 75 cents. But the cost of missing my plane would have been much higher!

Check your rental agreement VERY CAREFULLY to avoid surprises. We accidentally went through a toll both in a Dollar rental car last March. There was construction, and DH didn't realize that he was in a Sunpass (or whatever it is called) lane until it was too late. We got a bill from Dollar six weeks later for the 75 cent toll plus a $25 admin fee. :eek:

Check your rental agreement VERY CAREFULLY to avoid surprises. We accidentally went through a toll both in a Dollar rental car last March. There was construction, and DH didn't realize that he was in a Sunpass (or whatever it is called) lane until it was too late. We got a bill from Dollar six weeks later for the 75 cent toll plus a $25 admin fee. :eek:

That's actually the advantage of "plate pass" Your Admin fee is LOWER. It looks like what happened to you is that the toll authority contacted Dollar who paid the 75 cents and then hit you will the admin fee. (which is allowed)

The second time I used plate pass it was because I got to one of those "Exact change" only booths..... without change. So I was charged the 50 cents plus the $2.50 for my stupidity!

Sunpass also works on a toll with the E-pass,if you take the 528 by the airport you'll see like 3 tolls one or two say Sunpass and the other says E-pass,when Sunpass first came out I wasn't sure if I should go through the E-pass one with my Sunpass transponder,but I did and it beeped like the regular Sunpass toll,I'm still not sure what the difference is,maybe someone can explain but Sunpass works on both.

On Avis, the fee is $2.50 per day plus the cost of the toll. But you get charged the $2.50 for each day of the rental, even if you didn't go through a toll that day. That's right, use the toll feature just once and you'll be charged for all days of the trip. To be fair, there is a $10 maximum to this charge.

Personally, I'd rather just have a couple of dollars handy. We never found the wait at the tolls to be that bad.

On Avis, the fee is $2.50 per day plus the cost of the toll. But you get charged the $2.50 for each day of the rental, even if you didn't go through a toll that day. That's right, use the toll feature just once and you'll be charged for all days of the trip. To be fair, there is a $10 maximum to this charge.

Personally, I'd rather just have a couple of dollars handy. We never found the wait at the tolls to be that bad.

WOW! Hertz is more resonable. You only get charged the days you use!

One note on the "sunpass" As I understand it you are "suppose" to call and tell them EVERY time you move this to a different car. Not sure what happens if you don't, but it does seem to be a hassle to me!:confused3

WOW! Hertz is more resonable. You only get charged the days you use!

One note on the "sunpass" As I understand it you are "suppose" to call and tell them EVERY time you move this to a different car. Not sure what happens if you don't, but it does seem to be a hassle to me!:confused3

I can tell you what happens if you don't- absolutely nothing. I've never ever called to change the car on record and I've had the sunpass for several years and multiple trips to WDW. It's very convenient and I love flying past the cash toll booths when others have to stop. :cool1:

I can tell you what happens if you don't- absolutely nothing. I've never ever called to change the car on record and I've had the sunpass for several years and multiple trips to WDW. It's very convenient and I love flying past the cash toll booths when others have to stop. :cool1:

I think the reason you are suppose to is the pass malfunctions (or the reader does) then they can match you up. (Otherwise they charge the rental car company who charges you etc..)

Found this on one of the news stations....

• null
In the event that the transponder batteries go dead, or you simply forget to put the transponder in your car, the correct license plate information will help us identify you as a valued SunPass or E-PASS customer.

• This is important because the name of a SunPass or E-PASS account holder may not be the same name listed by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles as the owner of one or more of the vehicles authorized to use the transponder.

• Why is it so important to notify SunPass or E-PASS when your vehicle license plate changes? If the signal from your transponder cannot be read and your license plates have not been registered with us, we will not be able to match the vehicle to your account and you may receive an unpaid toll notice in the mail.

• If you receive an Unpaid Toll Notice, a Violation Warning or a Uniform Traffic Citation in the mail, please call SunPass or E-PASS immediately.

• If you fail to contact us by the date on the Unpaid Toll Notice or Toll Warning Notice and do not bring your account current, you will receive by mail a Uniform Traffic Citation at the address on file with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, in compliance with Florida statute.

• You have 30 days to repond to to a Uniform Traffic Citation. If you have not contacted SunPass or E-PASS, the citation will be filed with the Clerk of the Court.

The problem is that it generally takes the rental car companies longer then 30 days to notify you that your "pass" didn't read. (Plus you still have to pay them the admin fee!)

After reading the article I referenced below I do have one piece of advice for you SunPass users. Log on periodically and check that accout!:scared1:

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=59806

Sunpass also works on a toll with the E-pass,if you take the 528 by the airport you'll see like 3 tolls one or two say Sunpass and the other says E-pass,when Sunpass first came out I wasn't sure if I should go through the E-pass one with my Sunpass transponder,but I did and it beeped like the regular Sunpass toll,I'm still not sure what the difference is,maybe someone can explain but Sunpass works on both.

SunPass is the statewide toll transponder system operated by the State of Florida. Throughout the state you'll find that toll roads and toll bridges carry the SunPass logo. Thus, from Pensacola to the Keys, SunPass is all over the place. Exceptions to this are for toll roads operated by the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority. Their system is called E-PASS. Most (but not all) toll roads in Orange County are operated by OOCEA and you'll see the E-PASS logo at tolls. (The other exception are toll bridges in Lee County/Fort Myers which carry the LEEWay logo.) No matter which transponder you carry in your car from any of these 3 systems, the transponder is interoperable and valid at the toll plazas even though the sign may not mention it.

It's important to note that E-ZPass from the northeastern states and the midwest is NOT interoperable with any of the Florida systems and you cannot use it here. (nor vice versa)

BobK/Orlando

It's important to note that E-ZPass from the northeastern states and the midwest is NOT interoperable with any of the Florida systems and you cannot use it here. (nor vice versa)BobK/Orlando

This was the answer I was looking for. I will have to get one for Florida. Thanks for the info.:surfweb:

My BIL was telling me they were going to come out with a prepaid sticker for your windshield in Florida. It is going to be something you can buy at someplace like Walgreens. I do not know if it is available yet or how it will work. Maybe someone here knows more about it. I was going to ask about it in the airport gift shops when we arrived.

My BIL was telling me they were going to come out with a prepaid sticker for your windshield in Florida. It is going to be something you can buy at someplace like Walgreens. I do not know if it is available yet or how it will work. Maybe someone here knows more about it. I was going to ask about it in the airport gift shops when we arrived.

Yes there's a new Sunpass mini sticker that's selling at Publix and CVS pharmacies and Turnpike plazas for $4.99,I think right now at least when you buy one it gives you $4.99 in credit for use in toll plazas so it's essentially free.It however doesn't beep like the regular transponders that go for $25.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter