DVC UY , which do you prefer to have ?

kphamousbr

Mouseketeer
We have August UY when we signed up to become DVC owner , and our home resort is Boardwalk . We did not pay much attention about UY but it has been working out good for us . We want to know if we can choose UY when you join DVC . Thank you .:cheer2:

We have August UY when we signed up to become DVC owner , and our home resort is Boardwalk . We did not pay much attention about UY but it has been working out good for us . We want to know if we can choose UY when you join DVC . Thank you .:cheer2:

When purchasing from Disney at a resort that is not sold out (such as AKV), Disney is usually selling a particular use year month at a given time and that use year month changes as the year progresses, e.g., it might be offering a September use year when you purchase in January (and thus you get points issued the prior September) but instead October if you purchase in Feb. However, despite what Disney is selling at any given time, you can ask for a different use year and Disney will sell it to you if it is available.

If you are a new purchaser from Disney for an already sold out resort, Disney will usually be selling whatever use year is available as a result of getting points back due to foreclosures or exercise of right of first refussal in resales. In that case whatever they offer to you at the time might be the only use year they have but you can still ask for another and if points from another one are available they will sell that other use year to you.

If you are already an owner and then purchase from Disney a new contract, called an add-on, then the only use year Disney will sell you is one you already have unless you are willing to purchase the required number of points that a new purchaser has to buy in which case it may sell you another use year.

If you purchase in the resale market, you always have the option to buy something from and of several use years but the main issue you often face there is finding exactly what you want in a particular use year (points, resort, status of points, such as many current use year and banked points as opposed to all current use year points being already used)

We purchased our DVC direct from Disney in early 2004. We were very specific about our UY at that time.

If they give you some song and dance about not having the UY that you want, just tell them that you are going to buy resale. Magically, they will find the UY that you want. We have done this a couple of times and our longest wait was a week.

Disney gets back all types of contracts with different UYs due to take backs, loan defaults, and foreclosures.

Buy what's good for you, not what they say they have available.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes, when I bought BLT in 2009, they were selling Feb UY and told them that I wanted a June UY because it worked out better for me in terms of flexibility and my travel times.

I had no problem getting them to sell me that UY. Lately, it seems that Disney offers a UY to new buyers that is close to its end so that the buyer thinks Disney is throwing in extra points.

Friends of mine bought 2 years ago and were offered a March UY on their Feb vacation because they would be getting 2009 points and then a few days later, get their 2010 points.

I tried to share with them that traveling the 3rd week in February every year (they teach and that is our Winter break) with a March UY is risky and they should consider a different one. But, they went with what Disney offered. Hopefully, it will never be a problem for them.

We have an Oct UY, which I specifically chose. It works out great for us since I refuse to do the parks in the summer, so we usually go in late fall or the winter.

The one problem we are running into now is that we are considering buying a contract for HHR to use in the summer. Well, unless you pick the same UY you will have a seperate account. Oct is not a very good UY for summer.

We have an Oct UY, which I specifically chose. It works out great for us since I refuse to do the parks in the summer, so we usually go in late fall or the winter.

The one problem we are running into now is that we are considering buying a contract for HHR to use in the summer. Well, unless you pick the same UY you will have a seperate account. Oct is not a very good UY for summer.
We are similar but on the opposite coast. Our OCT UY @ SSR is a perfect fit for our WDW travel ... but not so perfect for DLR or Hawaii. At times, this cross-wire in the DVC system really bugs us. It certainly helps keep our admonition in "check!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter