DVC Rental Travel Insurance?

DVCMonorailBlue

Please stand clear of the doors.
So I own DVC - and we're taking our son for his first Disney trip this coming September! My parents want to join and want to rent DVC. They own two large dogs and are going to be having my grandparents watch the dogs. They want to get travel insurance on the rented points in case something happens. I have never looked into travel insurance at all and know nothing about it! I saw the company David's recommends, but has anyone here used it? Does anyone here have a company that they like and I should look at?

What kind of “something” are they worried about? Most travel insurance will only cover certain specific events; hospitalized illness or major weather event.

What kind of “something” are they worried about? Most travel insurance will only cover certain specific events; hospitalized illness or major weather event.

My grandparents (their parents) are 80 - they're worried if in 11 months, they're health may decline rapidly and they wouldn't be able to watch the dogs. The insurance that David's recommends has a "cancel for any reason" thing for like $200

Cancel for any reason tends to add another $100 to the premium and only refunds half of your non-refundable expenses. I find it to be pretty strict and uncommon due to the potential of fraud, and only expect it to be available on reservations secured through a broker. If you’re looking for a private rental, I wouldn’t expect to find many, if any options.

I have been looking into this. Look into Travel Guard. From what I understand they cover you through your trip. Unlike the others that pay nothing 3 days before vacation. Basically the room you were going to rent will be vacant if you have to cancel. The person you rented points will still keep your money because they still used their points. The insurance company reimburses you. I am no expert, but I think that' the way it goes. The only think I worry about is if the owner defaults before your trip. I need to look in to that more.
I want to rent points for next November. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!