DVC Rental Market Dried Up?

irazabul

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I signed up with one of the popular rental brokers. In the past, I would be able to rent out my points fairly quickly, but it has been over 2 months since signing up and no requests whatsoever. Has the market dried up, or is there something going on? I know that one of the brokers had to deal with a lot of re-booking due to the pandemic - maybe that has impacted things?

Lots of extra points, lots of renters who don’t want to go, lots of cash guests not looking for rentals.

Many of the brokers have points from owners to rent again because of the closure, so those are going to be used first as those owners have already been partially paid.

Disney has also put out some really good discounts...now through July...and for many, it makes renting not as great of a deal as before...especially with what brokers charge them.

Hi,

I signed up with one of the popular rental brokers. In the past, I would be able to rent out my points fairly quickly, but it has been over 2 months since signing up and no requests whatsoever. Has the market dried up, or is there something going on? I know that one of the brokers had to deal with a lot of re-booking due to the pandemic - maybe that has impacted things?
COVID. There’s just no demand and there’s a ton of points expiring that are flooding the market. You’ll need to get lucky, mark them down, or as @CarolMN suggested rent them out here.

Owners offering points on the DIS R/T Board do not seem to be having much (if any) trouble renting their points.

It does seem prices have shifted down somewhat which is why renting this way may be easier because brokers have to charge more.

Owners here can charge similar to what they’d get through a broker, but the renter saves a lot going through a board like ours!

It does seem prices have shifted down somewhat which is why renting this way may be easier because brokers have to charge more.

Owners here can charge similar to what they’d get through a broker, but the renter saves a lot going through a board like ours!
Thanks. I have been on this board a very long time, but don't post much. I will look into the rental board here.

I'm renting points from a private owner that I used before for the first five/six days at WDW in the fall. I'm holding off on the second five/six days right now...

There is currently plenty of demand, just not through brokers.
Do you think it is because a loss of trust with brokers as I know there were many issues caused by covid - or is it just because it's cheaper to go direct?

There is plenty supply and demand on FB groups. Im going to check out the prices on dis and see how they compare.

Do you think it is because a loss of trust with brokers as I know there were many issues caused by covid - or is it just because it's cheaper to go direct?

I think both are playing a role, A 100 point trip could cost $300 more vs going with an owner privately..$16 vs $19..when you compare the brokers price to Disney, it may not be worth the risk of being non refundable.

And, as I mentioned, lots of brokers trying to use points they already paid owners for during the shut down.

Other than perceived convenience, there is 0 benefit to paying significantly more to go with a broker.

Other than perceived convenience, there is 0 benefit to paying significantly more to go with a broker.
That makes sense to me but a long time ago before the rental board requirements, I posted points available for much less than David's Rentals - a couple months of nothing and I point in points at David's and it rented almost immediately. After that, I stuck with Davids with similar success. I think at that time the security of going thru a broker was worth the extra cost - maybe not so much anymore it seems.

We have /had 126 points that were expiring 7/31 and knew we weren't going before that date. About 2 months ago we offered our points to 1 of the brokers. 2 weeks ago I heard from them needing 11 of those points.
Conversely I posted them on the rent board here and they were gone the same day. My thought is people don't trust the brokers or they don't want to pay their fees.Just my 2 cents.

We have /had 126 points that were expiring 7/31 and knew we weren't going before that date. About 2 months ago we offered our points to 1 of the brokers. 2 weeks ago I heard from them needing 11 of those points.
Conversely I posted them on the rent board here and they were gone the same day. My thought is people don't trust the brokers or they don't want to pay their fees.Just my 2 cents.
Sounds like the way to go then. Did you lost them for transfer or rent when they went so fast? Thanks.

I think they are flooded also. Mine were on the market for a while, but when it got closer to my use year, they started getting contracts for those points. So my speculation is they have a ton of rental points and are going in order of use year.

The benefit is that if you wind up scammed by a seller the broker eats it not you.

So if a broker closes down you are guaranteed to have your reservation? Weve already proven that you arent guaranteed to get your $ as a seller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter