DVC purchase dilemma...

Royal Consort

DIS Veteran
We have been considering DVC for about 5 years and always said that it wasn't a good fit for us as I was hesitant about being locked into a long contract. We are an Australian couple and the flight to Florida is 24 hours. We initially believed this was an impediment.

In saying this, we have realised that in the last 10 years we have been to WDW at least every 2 years and sometimes annual visits (We visited in Feb this year and will be back in Nov). We don't foresee that changing as we will be back in Florida for the launch of the new DCL ships too. We split this time up by visiting our closer Asian Disney resorts annually or every 2 years. We are looking at 150-175 point range.

Our situation is a bit different as flying all this way means we want to stay more than a week at WDW. Our typical stay is 9 nights. We also want to use our points at Aulani as Hawaii is closer to us and we may stay a couple of nights to break up the trip on the way home. Therefore we need to maximise our points. As much as I would love to buy in to Poly, VGF etc. the point charts are too high and we would have to buy more points than we would like. We won't buy at Aulani as we want the 11 month WDW window.

I was considering BLT resale but the availability of the standard studios looks tough and the studios are small (I do like the contemporary though). We dont want any of the 2042 resorts as we want the flexibility to sell if we really need to in the future.

The point charts for OKW and AKL look great and we could certainly make them work for us (OKW would be direct with Disney for the extended contract and AKL resale). At the same time we don't 'love' those resorts. It is a compromise between maximising points for a longer stay vs a shorter stay at a more desirable resort.

I need your help! What are your thoughts to our conundrum?

We own at BRV & AKL. I always recommend purchasing at the resort you like the most, and what will fit your family best.

You didn't mention how many people we includes. There are four of us in our traveling family (including two young daughters). We love the studios, but know that down the road we may need to fit into the next 1BR or larger. We planned for that future need, and have the points to manage it.

Just my 2 cents.

The thing about DVC is that it is a flexible point system which will be beneficial since you're looking at going every 1-2 years. With banking and borrowing if you went every 2 years then you'd have 300-350 points at your availability or else the 150-175 points annually. What you might think of doing is using both the DVC and supplementing with cash stays when/if necessary. It doesn't have to always be DVC nor to be DVC booked on points for the entire stay. You might use your points and rent any other nights or transfer in points some years if necessary.

It's a long ways to travel to not stay in locations you'd most prefer. Have you stayed at any of the DVC resorts yet? And are studios what you are looking for? At BLT the lakeview studios are pretty easy to get for most times of the year at 11 months although yes, they take more points than standard views. It could be an option though if you can't get a standard view. CR hotel rooms are different as they are some of the largest on property vs the small studios at BLT.

I don't think you said what times of year you'd be visiting WDW -- which will definitely change my suggestions. If you are looking at September through January marathon weekend, then you really want to buy where you want to stay. If you're looking at other times, SSR is not a bad option to use in order to get the best bang for your buck.

Check out skier_pete's charts at the link below to get a decent idea of availability at the various resorts. Keep in mind, just b/c something is marked as "none" doesn't mean it is impossible to get a few consecutive days -- the charts are really just good to see general travel patterns (heat maps) for the various resorts at various times of the year.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...rooms-june-2018-update.3689931/#post-59393366

I don't think you said what times of year you'd be visiting WDW -- which will definitely change my suggestions. If you are looking at September through January marathon weekend, then you really want to buy where you want to stay.

We usually travel during Sept-mid Nov.

We own at BRV & AKL. I always recommend purchasing at the resort you like the most, and what will fit your family best.

You didn't mention how many people we includes. There are four of us in our traveling family (including two young daughters).

It's just the 2 of us. A childless couple so we will only ever need studios.

The thing about DVC is that it is a flexible point system which will be beneficial since you're looking at going every 1-2 years. With banking and borrowing if you went every 2 years then you'd have 300-350 points at your availability or else the 150-175 points annually. What you might think of doing is using both the DVC and supplementing with cash stays when/if necessary. It doesn't have to always be DVC nor to be DVC booked on points for the entire stay. You might use your points and rent any other nights or transfer in points some years if necessary.

It's a long ways to travel to not stay in locations you'd most prefer. Have you stayed at any of the DVC resorts yet? And are studios what you are looking for? At BLT the lakeview studios are pretty easy to get for most times of the year at 11 months although yes, they take more points than standard views. It could be an option though if you can't get a standard view. CR hotel rooms are different as they are some of the largest on property vs the small studios at BLT.

We have rented points before and have been comfortable with them. For the foreseeable few years we would plan on using our DVC each year without banking or borrowing as this way we wouldn't have to keep coming up with more vacation funds. DVC would cover it. We would add a cruise most likely though.

We are another believer in buy where you want to stay.
We have points in BWV for F&W and AKL for F&G, so we go twice a year.
We have enough points to get a 1 br for each trip. Sometimes our adult kids join us, sometimes, its just the 2 of us.
We have found that when only its the 2 of us, the studio works, we really love the 1 br for the room.

We usually travel during Sept-mid Nov.

It's just the 2 of us. A childless couple so we will only ever need studios.........
Studios. September - mid-November. This is why you are advised to "buy where you want to stay" or at least where you "wouldn't mind staying if your preferred choice(s) aren't available at 7 months".

Studios during the fall (September through Marathon weekend) are often sold out before the 7 month window even opens for the near park resorts - BLT, BCV, BWV, VGF, Poly, BRV/CC. Any that may remain at 7 months disappear within minutes - you will be competing with thousands of others for that limited availability.

Can you get lucky? Of course. But it won't be every time and when you are, you'll most likely have had to waitlist and "stalk" the booking website (constantly check for a cancellation). That's stressful. Don't spend thousands of dollars on vacations that don't make you happy. Not worth it. JMHO. YMMV.

If you're willing to have the points to book 1BR you will have an easier time booking but that's a big step up from studios. I subscribe to the buy where you're ok staying guidance because price is just a big factor. The other option is always looking to do a split stay which some people like because they get to do different resorts/areas during a trip but others find it to be a hassle.

If you really want BLT then buy there with enough to book a lake view. Generally more expensive categories are easier to book (theme park is a bit different since it's unique and less inventory) but if you're committed to just going once every 2 years then you could buy something like 100 points and bank/borrow to make it work. If you go with the 180 point contract you make it so you can stay in a lake in your time frame and if you bank the points it gives you the option for a 1 bedroom.

The other option is you keep renting. You're paying a premium but you're gaining flexibility to book any resort at 11 months (assuming available rentable points) and not making a huge upfront payment.

I've just bought AKV at 120 points. While I'd love to go in September or October and take advantage of the lower point charts I know that for those times we will most likely be staying at AKV (Which we like) but for other times when we go in Feb or May we will probably look to switch at the 7 mo mark to another resort to have some variety. Based on what I can gather from your post I think your best options are 160+ points at BLT or just keep renting.

It's just the 2 of us. A childless couple so we will only ever need studios.

I think AKL would be a good option then. I believe they have the lowest points/night for studios. It's also a really nice place to relax by a pool if you happen to enjoy that. Getting a studio at 11 months isn't that hard there (in my experience), even during holidays.

Best of luck in your decision.

I think the BLT studios are very comfortable for 2 people. I like the setup of the kitchenette there. It feels more like a kitchen. So, if you like the location, the lake view studios are pretty easy to get at 11 months. We stayed in one last new years.

You need to talk to ColinA! He's a fellow Australian. Can I tag people on here!? Search for him! He's a great guy and would probably be happy to chat with you. @ColinA

24 hours flight time? Holy crap. I don't think I could do that even for Disney. I'm impressed.

Its gotta be Animal Kingdom if you are at all trying to save money a bit and want a later contract year.

9 nights at in a Savanna View Studio in "Choice Season" is 162 points currently. Aulani is a little more but since that's closer to Australia maybe you would stay less than 9 nights? I'd get right at 170-175 points at AKV. And I'd buy resale but that's just me. That should be around 18-20k resale.

Flights to WDW are easy, we fly overnight Sydney to Dallas, 3-4 hour wait and then down to Orlando.

All our DVC points are Boardwalk and all the same use year. We started in 1999 direct from Disney and then bought a lot of points when the US economy was down and the Aus dollar was above the US. Since then the resale prices have near doubled and our dollar has dropped to approx 70 cents.

If you did buy and did not want to use for your own vacations you would have no problems renting them out. You would need to do the maths as to the purchase price to the return. Points are generally rented in US dollars. Now our dollar is down we get a good return.

Buy where you want to stay and have the 11 month booking window. The problem might be at newer resorts like BLT is the points used are higher. If you take the dates 7-14 September staying 7 nights in a studio standard 102 points, Boardwalk standard is 76 points. AKL value 60 points and standard 81 points.

Again you need to do the maths to see if it is good value. Also look at the life of the contract.

Also look at the maintenance fees for the resorts. These are ongoing every year.

I would suggest Saratoga Springs, probably good value.

If you go to WDW I would maybe look at renting DVC points for the stays.

We stop at Aulani on the way home each year and for other 6 night stays during the year. We get 1 bedrooms which are always easy to book at 7 month window. Studio availablity could be risky.

Last edited:
Hello @Royal Consort. I’m an Aussie owner, we frequent WDW or Aulani every year from Sydney. Firstly, you are on the right track with Aulani, no need to buy there traveling sept - Nov. 7 months booking at Aulani always works.
We bought our first contract direct for the 50 years and annual pass discounts. We make the annual pass work by traveling new year period for a minimum 14 days then the following sept-oct.
We have since bought resale contracts so we could use a minimum 14 days in a one bedroom. The full kitchen and in room washing are a life saver when traveling from our distance.
If you love BLT, I would buy there. Based on remaining years and current costs of dues it’s one of the most economical resorts. Another option is to consider split stays. Buy some points at BLT then the remaining at a cheaper resort like AKL. Just make sure you pick the busiest season to base your points requirements off when budgeting. DVC can always change the charts.

Last edited:
Don't spend thousands of dollars on vacations that don't make you happy. Not worth it. JMHO. YMMV.

This is the main reason why we rejected VGF which is my dream buy because studios are so difficult!

24 hours flight time? Holy crap. I don't think I could do that even for Disney. I'm impressed.

We do this each year. It has been either the US or Europe and both are 24 hrs away from us. Once you get used to it, it's okay.

I'd get right at 170-175 points at AKV. And I'd buy resale but that's just me. That should be around 18-20k resale.

I agree, I think 175 is a good number.

Flights to WDW are easy, we fly overnight Sydney to Dallas, 3-4 hour wait and then down to Orlando.

Buy where you want to stay and have the 11 month booking window. The problem might be at newer resorts like BLT is the points used are higher. If you take the dates 7-14 September staying 7 nights in a studio standard 102 points, Boardwalk standard is 76 points. AKL value 60 points and standard 81 points.

Again you need to do the maths to see if it is good value. Also look at the life of the contract.

Also look at the maintenance fees for the resorts. These are ongoing every year.

I would suggest Saratoga Springs, probably good value.

If you go to WDW I would maybe look at renting DVC points for the stays.

We stop at Aulani on the way home each year and for other 6 night stays during the year. We get 1 bedrooms which are always easy to book at 7 month window. Studio availablity could be risky.

I think studio availability for Ocean View are okay at 7 months and that's what we'd want.

Since we're usually in the US annually anyway, the flight isn't ever too much of a problem.

We are still caught between ''Buy where you want to stay'' or buying where there's the most value and don't hate (which is OKW and AKL for us). My partner dislikes SSR passionately. I suppose we just need to figure out if we're okay staying at OKW or AKL knowing that we can stay longer (2 weeks) vs somewhere we are more passionate about (i.e. VGF, Poly, Riviera). If I bought at Poly, Riviera etc. I don't think I would want to trade at 7 months but I know I will be wanting to do that at OKW and AKL - which defeats the value of the low points chart doesn't it?

We are still caught between ''Buy where you want to stay'' or buying where there's the most value and don't hate (which is OKW and AKL for us). My partner dislikes SSR passionately. I suppose we just need to figure out if we're okay staying at OKW or AKL knowing that we can stay longer (2 weeks) vs somewhere we are more passionate about (i.e. VGF, Poly, Riviera). If I bought at Poly, Riviera etc. I don't think I would want to trade at 7 months but I know I will be wanting to do that at OKW and AKL - which defeats the value of the low points chart doesn't it?

The new resale restrictions would lock you out of Riviera unless you buy direct.

I was considering BLT resale but the availability of the standard studios looks tough and the studios are small (I do like the contemporary though).

Have you tried those studios yet? I'll be for the first time at BLT this September, so I cannot comment, however this is very much a case where you should rent once before committing to the purchase. It seems the Contemporary is your favorite resort and BLT is the second best WDW deal after SSR if you factor buy in, MF and lenght of contract. Its position also guarantees it should hold its value better than othe resorts.
How small are the BLT studios may be very subjective. I've read this report a lot, but mostly by people with children and at the same time a lot of people are saying they look forward booking the Riviera Tower Studios which are half the size. I think it's worth for you to test the studios yourself and see if you can make them work. For a couple, having a bed and a sofa is already a huge improvement over the standard two beds configuration in an hotel room.

Regarding the number of points to buy, I'll agree with others saying you should plan for the Lake view studios and take a standard studios as a nice bonus when you can get it. They're difficult to score especially during fall frenzy. Also having a few more points give you a bit more wiggle room to try other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter