DVC podcast

dec2901

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are considering buying DVC and need more information. When I visit the DVC site on wdwinfo.com it references a Dis podcast interview; however there is no date listed and I can't find it in my iTunes. Does anyone know how I can find the date of the show? Thanks for your help.

Charles - Truthfully I don't even know where to start. My husband and I are taking our 2-year old for the first time in Dec. 2013. Previously we were content to stay in a value because all we did was sleep and shower. However, with a little one we know we will be in the room mor,e so we booked WL. Well, tonight we started discussing if we should look into DVC because of the cost of a Deluxe resort. We plan on taking at minimum a one week trip to WDW every other year. So I guess I am trying to figure outthe basics. I think I understand the points chart and I have looked at the resale site. I guess here are a couple of my main questions?
- Is there a negative to buying resale?
- What are the annual fees/maintenance dues? Do you pay that each month or once a year?
- Is it worth it? We would probably be interested in purchasing enough points to stay in a studio for a week.
Thanks so much for your help.

- Is there a negative to buying resale?

it takes longer than buying direct.

there are also these "restrictions" at this time:

Disney Vacation Club has announced a policy that limits access to certain Member Getaways exchanges for Ownership Interests purchased on the secondary market (also known as the re-sale market).

Under the new policy, Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

The affected collections are special Member benefits programs offered by Disney Vacation Development, Inc., and are not part of Members' Ownership Interests. That said, Members who purchased on the secondary market prior to March 21, 2011, may use those Vacation Points for all Member Getaways.

basically, no trades for cruises or wdw hotels like the poly if you bought resale - those trades are very expensive anyway and are generally considered to be poor value for your money.

resale purchasers can still trade for any DVC resort (subject to availability at the 7 month window) and can trade out through RCI for other timeshares (not generally a great value either, though). lots of things can change over time, for both direct and resale purchasers...so take some time to understand what you are really purchasing.

- What are the annual fees/maintenance dues?

DVC resource center link - see post 2 for historical annual dues per pt at each resort.

OKW annual fees are $5.34 per pt for 2013 - so if you have 100 OKW pts, you would pay $534 in annual dues to DVC during 2013.

Do you pay that each month or once a year?

you can pay monthly in 12 equal installments (no penalty) by automatic draft of a U.S. checking account only, or pay the whole thing upfront in january - by credit card/whatever.

- Is it worth it?

this is where you'd have to take your time. poke around on the DVC boards - read threads that might be interesting - figure out what current owners like and are frustrated with (and whether those things might affect you). then come back and ask more questions.

for further reading, here are some good threads to start with:

a previous "is DVC worth it" thread is here.

here is a (dated but still useful) thread for more info about choosing a home resort.

a link to general/basic DVC information

and if you are ready for slightly more advanced information:

here is a thread for understanding use year.

for pricing/buying information:

here is (usually accurate) current pricing for contracts purchased directly.

there is a link to a resale broker who sponsors the DIS/DVC forums here.

Do your research and then go on a DVC "tour" on your next vacation. You can arrange that ahead of time by calling DVC from home, or stop by any of the (millions of) kiosks- they are in every resort lobby and in every park.

But be assured that there is NO PRESSURE from the DVC sales guide or anyone else in DVC for you to make a purchase! Go don't be afraid to go and talk to them- they will show you model units, go through payment options, etc.
And then you can still go home and discuss it more and make a decision to buy through DVC or through resale.

We bought in 2000 when our kids were 9 & 12- and we joined the chorus of those who say "I just wish we did it sooner!"

At that time, we vacationed about once every year or 2. Since then- we go at least once a year- some years more- even for long weekends. We have totally enjoyed staying in every DVC property in WDW and in every size unit (except the Grand Villa- but we are still hoping for that!!)
We initially bought just the minimum points, but have added twice since then.

So- WE think it's worth it. And we make great use of our points and have had fabulous family experiences and memories created- all because of DVC.
We're spoiled- and have trouble staying in a regular hotel room anymore! :)

I found a lot of information on the DVC forums here on the DIS. One thing that Disney doesn't always let you know, is that you can ask about buying at the "sold out" resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West, Vero, Hilton Head and maybe Saratoga Springs) direct from DVC instead of purchasing resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter