DVC @ DI themeing?

akghutton

DIS Veteran
We just received our DVC magazine yesterday. In it, they discuss the plans for the DVC resort to be built at the DI site. It said that they would be staying close to the DI resort themeing. Does anyone know what the themeing is like at the DI? I have never been there, but am curious about what the new DVC resort will look like.

That's kind of funny. I never associated a "theme" with DI.

I stayed there on a "boys" golf trip about 20 years ago (pre-DI). As I remember, they had townhouses and "treehouse villas". These could be described as "home away from home", but not in the same class as DVC. Of course, DVC wasn't around then either.

Not that I'm trashing the place; these buildings have to be close to 30 years old and are just not up to par with current DVC offerings. Actually, I'm looking forward to what they do with the new DVC there, I'm just wrestling with the "theme" thing.

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I was talking to my guide yesterday & she said that all the guides were asked a few weeks ago what they thought would make for a good theme at DI!!! She laughed because she says they are rarely asked for their opinions.... So we aren't the only ones wondering what the theme is going to be, apparently nobody knows right now :D I think they should go with some sort of low rise resort with a Port Orleans French quarter type of theme... that would be kind of nice ;)

IMHO, the theme should capitalize on the proximity to DD/PI and also the Spa services. I know many posters don't think much of the location, but I think it would be nice to be within walking distance of DD/PI, and I'm hoping DVC members will get a good discount on the Spa services. The parks are very nice, but since DVC, I no longer feel the need to spend every waking minute inside of one! LOL! Isn't there some European/Asian city famous for nightlife, shopping and pampering?

On a mostly unrelated note, a CM told my SIL that we have termites to thank for the propsed DI DVC. Apparently the section being replaced with DVC buildings was badly infested with termites. Instead of extermination and rehab, someone decided to turn it into a DVC resort. DI is one of the older resorts and probably did need substantial rehab work to be viable, so I guess the rumor could be true.

If so, I sure hope they totally exterminate/relocate those termites! Maybe newer construction methods/materials are more critter resistant. I know it's Florida, but I like to find my "bugs" in AK! :D

The theme at Disney Institute is sort of small town, America. The classroom buildings, theater and spa facilities all reflect this idea. It is consistent with the Chatuaqua concept, around which DI was built.

The original resort rooms didn't really have any theme and were not updated to embrace the DI idea.

I'm sure the new DVC buildings will blend nicely with the DI theme. There are certainly lots of possibilities for decor and style.

I expect that we'll see some concept drawings before too long!

I'm kind of surprised that more people aren't excited about the location of the DI villas. To me, it seems like a big advantage to be able to walk to DD/PI, especially for all those of us who go in the off season when the parks aren't open late.

Another benefit of this location is the fact that you will essentially have direct bus service to every resort in WDW. The DD bus stop behind the Rainforest Cafe should be an easy walk from the new villas.

A few more questions to add....

What is the fate of the Treehouse Villas? I've always wanted to stay in one of these...the concept is just so cool!

And is anyone else excited about the prospect of wheeling around the resort on a golf cart? I know its cheesy, but I think it would be great fun to drive a golf cart to dinner.

I'm wondering what the points scale will look like too....I don't know if the location has enough draw to warrant BWV/VWL/BCV points levels....but probably higher than OKW. Hmmm...maybe they'll make them OKW sized villas and use that same point structure?

Thanks for all of the replies. I too am excited about the location of this new resort, as my husband and I love DD, PI and the marketplace. Of course, if we stay there, I will most likely never see me husband, as he will be camped out in the retro-video gameroom at DisneyQuest!
Anyway, I look forward to staying there and at the other DVC resorts.

148 days until our first trip "home":D

I do hope the Treehouses stay in some aspect. And while I am sure this will never be the theme, whenever I see Treehouses, I keep thinking Peter Pan and Neverland.:) I think it would be interesting to see what they finally do come up with.

You know, I still like the idea of a Celebration style resort, I think it would be awesome & I think they could get the higher points per night that they are looking for... That design would also fit right in with the design of the existing facilities.... There's no chance they'll do that though, because they've already stated it's going to be a set of three story buildings (or something to that effect)

Great minds think alike, Chris ;)

One of the other discussions about DI got me thinking that something along the lines of Celebration would fit in very nicely.

I think the points will be the same or higher than the new resorts. I imagine they would raise the OKW points except that contractually they can't. I don't see any reason to make them lower.

I think they said there will be 4 buildings and 192 units. (Somebody have the numbers?)
I would guess that makes for a 3 or 4 story structure. I would have liked to see the theme tied to Downtown Disney rather than DI...Maybe a South Beach/ Art Deco kind of thing...still with DI being small town america I guess they could make the villas the Downtown America or Big Town America theme (maybe like the New York Resort at Disneyland Paris)...I don't know how you build big enough buildings to hold 192 units and keep a "small town America " theme...we shall see....

Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter