DVC AP or bridge tickets to DVC AP

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by luvthatdisney, Sep 29, 2018.

1. luvthatdisney

luvthatdisney DIS Veteran

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip for next September (2019). We are new direct DVC owners and I have been reading a lot about bridging park tickets to AP's. I am trying to figure out if we need to go ahead and buy regular tickets before the price structure change or just buy the Gold AP's.

Has anyone looked into this and found that it saves money to bridge the tickets to AP's during first visit vs buying the DVC AP's upfront? There will be 3 adults on this trip - no children - our adult child lives with us and has id that shows that. We will be taking 2 trips totaling 10-11 days during the AP year. We have never purchased AP's before.

2. wdw4rfam

wdw4rfam Disney obsessed DVC Member/AP holder

Buy the gold AP now. It will show in your MDE for discounts on the parks app even though it’s not “activated”. It won’t start the year until you use it the first time, but you will lock in the price by buying it now if there’s a price increase.

jerseygal and AdamsMum like this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. FFMickey

FFMickey DVC Mouseketeer

We looked into this and will be traveling the same time as you. We decided to buy the DVC gold pass now and to not worry about any price increases. If you got regular tickets, you'd upgrade to the AP at the current selling price at the time of the upgrade. The last price increase was early this year.

5. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to ticket bridging with this change.

6. Tigger2ntinkerbell

Tigger2ntinkerbell DIS Veteran

I thought you only a 1 year from the date of purchase?. What is the expiration date?.
    My husband wants to know if we bought now , is it possible to activate it 2 years from now?

7. Madame

Madame DIS Veteran

APs have an expiry date of 2030 if not activated. I read in another thread that the date is just a placeholder & APs don’t expire.

8. wdw4rfam

wdw4rfam Disney obsessed DVC Member/AP holder

Can’t remeber for sure the length, but it was a long time. They sat in MDE for 8 months before we activated them. So we got the discount online in the parks app and could see all the AP discounts for rooms way before our year even started. Call and ask. My thought is 2 years is fine.

9. KCMA

KCMA Earning My Ears

Wow for some reason I did not know about the activation part.. we have plans to go in June 2019 and again December 2019 so we want to get APs as it would be cheaper (even with the Canadian resident discount) ... is there an official date for price increase?

10. kmc8826

kmc8826 DIS Veteran

No one knows when there will be an increase. Just speculation. That’s the reason for the all the uncertainty and angst on this thread. :)

KCMA likes this.
  11. KCMA

KCMA Earning My Ears

Thank you! We are somewhat new to DVC and have never purchased a AP before.. when was the last increase? And by about what percentage was the increase

Thank all!

12. granmanh603

granmanh603 DIS Veteran

13. Cyberc1978

Cyberc1978 DIS Veteran

Oct 16th 2018

14. granmanh603

granmanh603 DIS Veteran

Has anyone heard anything about upgrading a 6day hopper to DVC Gold AP. Can’t find any info?

15. BillPA

BillPA DIS Veteran

up about 8.9% from $559 to $609 for the Gold Pass

16. granmanh603

granmanh603 DIS Veteran

I know that. I have a 6 day hopper ticket I want to know how much it will cost to upgrade? I don’t want to buy it, upgrade it

17. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

18. supersnoop

supersnoop What time is the three o'clock parade?

Tickets aren’t really “bridged” anymore. When the tickets were all the same and the price just went up, they had to deal with the uncertainty of what you paid by crediting you with the then-current gate price of the ticket you were holding. Now, the tickets have changed. They don’t sell your ticket anymore, so there’s no current gate price to bridge to. You get the value of that specific ticket.

19. mousestruck

mousestruck DIS Veteran

So if a ticket is purchased from UT, will your ticket be valued at the price you paid UT or the gate price of the ticket on the day when you upgrade? I think this is still an unknown.

20. MrPTato

MrPTato DIS Veteran

Based on the price that you paid UT. When we upgraded, they could see what we paid for the ticket.

21. mousestruck

mousestruck DIS Veteran

If that is the case, there is no longer any benefit/value to purchasing tickets from UT. They have always been able to see the purchase price, but bridged the ticket to preserve the discount. (Well, not every CM knew how to do this, but that was the policy.) I don't know if that policy has changed. No official word yet, I believe.