dSLR or pocket camera for Harry Potter Wizarding World?

PoohJen

<font color=green>Willing to share a Mickey Bar?<b
Hi Photo/Disney Friends....

After all these years of loving DCL and WDW, I'm setting foot this summer into Universal Studios (Islands of Adventure) for the first time ever.:cool1: Our primary objective is Harry Potter.

For those who have been...should this huge Potter fan bring her dslr (either Rebel or 40d)? Will I be sorry if I don't have the big camera? or will a pocket P&S suffice? Will the dSLR be too bulky to carry/go on rides?

After HP area, we'll probably hit water rides, so I expect that I would then store the camera in a locker, or out in the car.

Anything this newbie should consider?

Thanks!

For The Forbidden Journey (main ride) you are not allowed any carry on items. there is a very small pocket in the seat back for small personal things (sunglasses, small purse, etc) but there are lockers at the entrance. I would recommend a P$S for that rid as the queue has a lot of interesting detail but bad/low light. if you are doing a child swap you could also swap the big camera. You go nearly upside down in this ride.
The flight of the Hippogriff- I went on with a friend who hand carried his DSLR on the ride.
The Dueling Dragons is similar to forbidden journey in the no carry on, interesting line and bad lighting aspect. This is the only place you can see the tri-wizard cup. so a definite for a pocket size camera. there are several loops where you will be upside down in this ride.
as for the area outside the rides, Ive seen lots of large cameras and dramatic shots.

Hope this helps!

You can walk thru the castle with your camera if you want to get pictures at Forbidden Journey (not on the ride of course). Just ask the cast member to direct you to the walk thru line once you get inside. You will exit just prior to the loading area of the ride. It's very dark so you would want your DSLR and a fast lens for that.

There's lots to photograph at Universal if you wish but they allow next to nothing on most of the rides. They do provide free lockers though for a limited time period for the rides they have those restrictions for.

Thanks, all. Are the free "lockers" at the start of each ride really lockers? i.e., would my camera be safe while I rode?

Thanks, all. Are the free "lockers" at the start of each ride really lockers? i.e., would my camera be safe while I rode?

Yeah, they're real lockers. It'll scan your fingerprint when you first get it, then re-scan it when you want to open it back up. And although they're free, they're only free for a certain amount of time (the ride's wait time, plus a little additional time).

And in general, you can't take your dslr on any of the more adventurous rides at Universal. So just be aware of that.

Just a point of clarification. I will be doing the same thing in November/December. Can you carry your DSLR through the castle to get the shots and then just before the ride put the camera in the locker, then ride or do you have to put it away before walking through the castle? In other words to photograph and ride do you have to go through the line twice?

Just a point of clarification. I will be doing the same thing in November/December. Can you carry your DSLR through the castle to get the shots and then just before the ride put the camera in the locker, then ride or do you have to put it away before walking through the castle? In other words to photograph and ride do you have to go through the line twice?

The lockers are right at the entrance to the castle so you would need to go back to the start. It's a slightly different queue route and you won't be waiting as you take pictures. You do miss the greenhouse section just going thru for pictures but otherwise see most of the rest of it.

The lockers are right at the entrance to the castle so you would need to go back to the start. It's a slightly different queue route and you won't be waiting as you take pictures. You do miss the greenhouse section just going thru for pictures but otherwise see most of the rest of it.

Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter