Drying clothes outside

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by GirlDreamer, May 16, 2018 at 6:48 AM.

1. GirlDreamer

GirlDreamer DIS Veteran

Is it acceptable to dry your clothes outside in the UK? I'm Norwegian and in the neighbourhood I grew up, every single house had an outside clothing line and people would dry their clothes outside all the time, even if it was cold and the clothes would freeze sometimes. When I moved to the UK, I never thought twice about drying my clothes outside, but I had a neighbour complain when we hung our clothing in the courtyard of the flats we live in. So what's the general consensus? Is it acceptable? Is it just some individuals that is against it?

2. onestitchloose

onestitchloose Mouseketeer

It's more than acceptable to dry your clothes outside. Not sure why your neighbour is complaining but I don't think they have any right to as long as you're not using their property to dry them on.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. GirlDreamer

GirlDreamer DIS Veteran

No the courtyard is everyones property to use. I admit it was a bit close to her window and right now I have my clothes drying outside my front door, but it's facing a street and a big grass/playground area, so I'm not too happy about having it there, I'd rather keep it in my courtyard. The irony is that the courtyard is mainly a parking lot for the residents and this neighbour is supposed to park her own car in front of her window, but she parks a bit further away to keep her view clear. I can move my washing line further away from her window, but it would still be visible to her I think, just not as visible as before.

5. onestitchloose

onestitchloose Mouseketeer

6. Dimplenose

Dimplenose Stranger from the outside

You can usually dry outside. When I was little it wasn't the done thing to dry your clothes on a Sunday but no rule to stop you, however there may be conditions to your lease or other restrictions that prevent drying clothes outside. When we lived in a flat we weren't allowed to hang anything out of the window and the deeds to our current house state we are not allowed to keep chickens in the back garden.

7. disneyseniors

disneyseniors DIS Veteran

Wow, sorry to steal your thread, but this is really interesting to me! Honestly, I'm from the US and I always hang clothes out to dry. I love the fresh smell, sunshine, and not using electricity to dry them. We live out in the country, but others here hang clothes in their yards in town. I grew up with my Mom hanging clothes out, even in winter when the jeans came in stiff enough to walk:)
    Just my two cents worth:)

Just to add: My 2 grandsons, ages 8 and 6 at the time, saw my clothes hanging out on the line one time and wondered WHY I did that to my clothes? LOL, it was funny to see the look on their faces. There Mom and Dad are very busy and don't hang their clothes out!

GirlDreamer likes this.
  8. GirlDreamer

GirlDreamer DIS Veteran

I've never heard about any rules about hanging the clothes out, and I've seen some of the other neighbours do it as well, so I think it's just the one having a problem with it. It's really helpful being able to dry it outside as our flat is quite small, and not to mention how much faster it dries outside.

9. Jon84

Jon84 wdwaddictuk

Some blocks of flats (apartments) have rules about hanging clothes from balconies but that's about it. Check your tenancy agreement or the service fee documentation to be sure.