Drone Shows at WDW?

dieumeye

DIS Veteran
Are there any shows at any Disney parks using drone technology for large scale in-sky lighting effects?

The drone synchronization for the Shanghai New Years show was amazing - animation, text, etc. It seems like exactly the kind of thing Disney would use in a show at WDW.

Something like that could even help reduce the long-standing fireworks issues at DL in Anaheim.

No not currently.
I wonder if they are working on anything with this tech. Disney isn’t always the first with technology, but they are often quick to take some tech to the next level. Seems like a perfect thing. Maybe the next big show will have something like this?

I wonder if they are working on anything with this tech. Disney isn’t always the first with technology, but they are often quick to take some tech to the next level. Seems like a perfect thing. Maybe the next big show will have something like this?
They did have something at Disney Springs a few years ago. It was smaller scale than what many drone shows are now but it was cool nonetheless.

While the concept seems like an obvious choice for Disney there is still a couple of barriers they cannot get past. Even if they could solve the 'don't fly over guests' issue they are at the mercy of Florida weather. Drones are very impacted by weather especially wind. Imagine having a nightly show that has to be cancelled or segments removed every time there is wind above a certain speed- that would not be a positive guest experience.
I was discussing this with someone recently who referenced the amazing show that was displayed at the most recent Winter Olympics. While I agree that was amazing, few people paid attention to the fact that what we saw that night during the Opening Ceremony was pre-recorded because due to high wind they could not fly them the night of the opening ceremony.
All I have to do is think back to the Skyleidoscope show back in the '90's which had major portions cancelled daily due to wind for a reminder. Before they put anything up there they'll need to have a way to run it reliably in a range of conditions which isn't likely any time soon.

The drone show at Disney Springs was actually done as a demonstration by Intel and wasn’t by Disney. It was all Intel technology. P

The PP makes good points about the problems putting on drone shows. And Disney has to get FAA exemptions to their no fly zone to do any flying show and have been turned down in the past. So I doubt Disney is working on anything.

While the concept seems like an obvious choice for Disney there is still a couple of barriers they cannot get past. Even if they could solve the 'don't fly over guests' issue they are at the mercy of Florida weather. Drones are very impacted by weather especially wind. Imagine having a nightly show that has to be cancelled or segments removed every time there is wind above a certain speed- that would not be a positive guest experience.
I was discussing this with someone recently who referenced the amazing show that was displayed at the most recent Winter Olympics. While I agree that was amazing, few people paid attention to the fact that what we saw that night during the Opening Ceremony was pre-recorded because due to high wind they could not fly them the night of the opening ceremony.
All I have to do is think back to the Skyleidoscope show back in the '90's which had major portions cancelled daily due to wind for a reminder. Before they put anything up there they'll need to have a way to run it reliably in a range of conditions which isn't likely any time soon.
Good point about the wind, however...

Imagine having a nightly show that has to be cancelled or segments removed every time there is wind above a certain speed- that would not be a positive guest experience.

Your description perfectly describes the frequently-cancelled-due-to-wind fireworks at Disneyland!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!