Driving to Disney with 1-year old

momofmikey

Mommy also to Daniel and Lauren
Hi - my DH and I are planning on driving to Disney next Feb/March with our will be 1 yo son. We've chosen this over flying b/c of all the stuff we need to bring e.g. stroller, car seat, etc. and b/c I'm not a lover of flying :) The trip, which my DH and I have done twice in the past, normally takes around 18-22 hours. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or if I'm out of my mind!!! We were planning on leaving early evening and driving straight thru a.m. so hopefully he'll sleep (although he's not sleeping thru the night yet - I'm being optimistic! :), but the a.m. drive is where I start to get nervous. Any suggestions? Thanks

we drove straight thru, 22 hours, with an 18 month old & almost 4 yo in 95. we left around 3 p.m. and it worked out great as far as having kids cooperate. we stopped & had dinner at McD's so they could run & play for a little while, drove a few more hours & stopped again to put their jammies on. yes, the kids did great, but we were wiped out when we got there. our first day was shot. it was tough for 2 parents with little to no sleep occupying 2 kids with a full nights rest in a strange place. the ride home was difficult bc we left in the a.m. & had to deal with bored preschoolers in a car all day! we should have done the night time thing then also, just for the peace & quiet!

We are from Akron, OH and we always drive to WDW. It takes about 17-18hrs. We like to leave at 4am and drive to Richmond Hills , GA and stop. We have driven straight through with little ones and they did pretty well. A few things that work for us are packing lunch so you can stop at a rest area and let them run after they eat instead of making them sit again in a restaurant. We also have purchased a 9" TV-VCR comb that plugs into out lighter in our van. If you can handle Barney and Blue's Clues for 18hrs it is great. It is the best purchase we ever made.

Have a great trip.

We're from the Phila. area ....

We've driven several times (most recently in January) with our 4 children (3-11). We also purchased a TV/VCR for our car (Sears ($230.00)) and have gotten more than our share of enjoyment from it. We usually drive to Hilton Head (about 12 hours) and stay overnight. Then it's a 5 hr. drive the next day. At least when we arrive, we're not worn out.

Most of our recent trips have been on Amtrak's Auto Train -- have you ever considered it? It leaves from Lorton, VA and departs 4:00 p.m. It pulls into the Sanford, FL station at 8:30 a.m. Now you're ready for a full day at the parks.

I am not a flying fan either, so I'm willing to put up with a lot in order not to fly!

No matter how you decide to go, have a great time!

We are also in NY and have driven to WDW too. We took the auto train when DD was 1 1/2 last JULY. You should see if this is an option for you. You drive to Virginia, right outside of DC, get on the train (with your car) at 4pm and at 9am you are in Sanford, Fl. About an 45-60 minutes away from disney!!!

You can get a cabin on the train or the economy seats. We opted for 2 deluxe cabins with an ajoining door for 2 adults and 2 children.
If you want anymore details just ask!! (or email )

Stacey

Hi Stacey-

Thanks for the input. Another poster mentioned the AutoTrain, but when I priced it last year it was really expensive - about $900. Is that what you paid?

Thanks!

I don't remember exactly what we paid but it was about $1000. Not cheap but definetly worth the $$. They serve a nice meal in the evening and breakfast too.
If your little one likes to watch videos, I would splurge on a TV/VCR for the car. It helps for a little while anyway.
we also do alot of coloring and reading books. Crayola has those wonder markers out, they don't write on anything but the special paper you have to buy.
If that is your only child? I would take turns sitting with him in the back seat. Also do silly things like switch his car seat from on side of the car to the other occasionaly when you stop. It sounds silly , but the simplest things amuse toddlers on a car trip.
Get a few new toys from the dollar store before you leave and give him one when he starts to get fussy.
Another good tip is, when stopping to eat at a McDonalds or anyplace with a play area for little ones, let them play while you and DH eat, save his meal for the car. Eating in the car will also occupy him for a little while.

I'm also assuming you will be driving on 95South? You might want to look into taking 301 part of the way, it runs parellel to 95, but it is much more scenic, it will give DS more to look at.

Just a few suggestions.

Stacey

Thanks for the tips!

This is my only child, so I definitely think it's a good idea for my husband and I to switch driving and sit in the back with him. I also was thinking of getting the TV/VCR combo for him to watch his videos. I'm just concerned with him getting ansy. He'll be just under a year old, and if at 6 months, this is any indication of how active he'll be, then uh-oh :)

Again, thanks for all your help!

Momofmickey, don't worry you can do it! We've driven straight to WDW several times with our two children (once when the littlest was just four months old).

The way down is always fun because you are all looking forward to the vacation.

The only problem we found was the way home, which seemed endless....that's why we started doing what a poster above did and now we drive down, but take the Auto Train home. This gives us something to look forward to on the way home, and trust me, kids LOVE the Auto Train. Our kids find this to be one of the best parts of the trip.

We got one family bedroom, which had a sort of double bed with a single bunk on top and two small kids beds on the side. Maybe you and your son could sleep in the double and your hubby on the top. I think our fare was about $500 for the one way, but like I said this truly is like an adventure for the kids, so we totally don't mind paying for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter