Driving from Winnipeg to SoCal with Kids - Any Advice?

flyingjay

Mouseketeer
Has anyone driven to Disneyland from the prairies before? We are planning on doing the drive with our four kids after Christmas. Ages are 9, 7, 5, and 1 year old.

I'm specifically wondering...
  • Route recommendations? Because it's winter, I'd like to keep it on four lane if possible.
  • Any stops to make on the way? Activities? We don't mind going to an awesome museum or something for a day to break the trip up. I really wanted to do yellowstone/Old Faithful until I found out the roads are only open to snow vehicles in winter (boo!)
  • How would you break up the driving? Two days? Three days?
  • Any tips on booking hotels on the way down? Should I do this well in advance or take my chances doing last minute on expedia/priceline/hotwire?
  • Any tips for keeping the kids entertained on the way down? We have tons of DVD's and are able to setup our WiiU in the van...the kids are excited about that. But any other suggestions are appreciated.

TammyLynn33

DIS Veteran
Has anyone driven to Disneyland from the prairies before? We are planning on doing the drive with our four kids after Christmas. Ages are 9, 7, 5, and 1 year old.

I'm specifically wondering...
  • Route recommendations? Because it's winter, I'd like to keep it on four lane if possible.
  • Any stops to make on the way? Activities? We don't mind going to an awesome museum or something for a day to break the trip up. I really wanted to do yellowstone/Old Faithful until I found out the roads are only open to snow vehicles in winter (boo!)
  • How would you break up the driving? Two days? Three days?
  • Any tips on booking hotels on the way down? Should I do this well in advance or take my chances doing last minute on expedia/priceline/hotwire?
  • Any tips for keeping the kids entertained on the way down? We have tons of DVD's and are able to setup our WiiU in the van...the kids are excited about that. But any other suggestions are appreciated.
I have no clue but God bless you for even attempting :) I’m not much of a driver I have about a 3 hour limit :) and being single mama to 4 we fly outta necessity . Pls keep us updated . DL is incredible . Big kid and i did it this summer .

jcourtney

Mouseketeer
Following! I'm from Regina and have wanted to make this drive for years but my husband is reluctant. I'm watching to see if anyone has any good advice for you :)

flyingjay

Mouseketeer
Thanks @TammyLynn33 We have done the trip to Jasper a few times with the kids (not the one year old) and they handle it pretty well. So it certainly won't be their first long road trip. But we are certainly more nervous about how the one year old will handle being in a vehicle that long.

I have family in the Anaheim area who let us stay with them, so we go to DLR regularly. But we've never driven down. DW is on mat leave so we want to take our time and have our own vehicle while we're down there. I'm hoping someone will have some experience to share with us. But I realize it's not something that many people do. I may have to be the first and report how it went once we get back.

isabellea

Combining beach and Disney!
No experience with this specific drive since we live in Montreal but we drive to FL every year. It's a 21-25h drive (up to 30h with stops) depending on where we go. First time we did it was when my youngest was less than 2 yo. She had zero interest in movies or tv shows so I was worried. At the end, she was very good. In fact, it was probably easier than now because she slept most of the way since we tried to drive during her naps and overnight as much as possible. Her favourite toys to keep her entertained were Mega Blocks, her baby doll and a cookie sheet with homemade Disney magnets. Now that they are older, they only need their iPad.

When we go on a road trip in the USA we always use the app The Next Exit to decide where to stop for breaks, meals and hotels (if we stop for the night). I like this particular app because it's very user friendly and doesn't take any data. It is very plain but I don't mind. Now that we have data with Roam mobility when driving down to FL but even with data available I still use The Next Exit.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates