Driving from SE Massachusetts to Florida with pets.

Poorman

DIS Veteran
A couple of questions.

We are driving with 4 pets:crazy: yikes,for the first time. Since it is about 1300 miles we are taking 2 days. We need a pet friendly motel about 1/2 way. I believe Smithfield fits that bill. I just booked a night at Jameson Inn in Smithfield. It was $72.64 for everything. Has anyone stayed there? If they accept pets I don't expect a 5 star but clean would be good. My next question is we probably will be leaving at 3 or 4 AM next Saturday morning. My triptik wants me to go over the Tappen-Zee bridge, that would be about 6 or 7 AM, would it be better to go over the GWB? Any other tips when traveling with 4 pets would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

My ds was going to drive down with his cat, so did a ton of research into places to stay that took pets. He was going to take three days, so needed a couple of spots. I can't remember where he found, but he had no trouble finding two hotels along the way that would accept the cat.
No, they won't be 5 star hotels but they will be clean and most likely more than just acceptable. I'll see if he remembers what places he found.
He ended up not taking the cat...no room. So I got the dubious honor of flying the darn thing down with me a month later.

My in laws drove from Northern CT to FLA for several years. I remember my father in law was impressed by the number of pet friendly hotels on the way down. They had a dog and just drove with no reservations. They never had any problems. The route to Florida is driven by so many snow birds who go for months at a time bring pets so hotels should be easy to find.

The Tappen Z bridge is the way my husband goes. He has driven 4 times this past year to Florida (driving my parents car down and back). If you are leaving early in the AM, GW wouldn't be a problem. If you wat, PM me your email and I'll have my husband send you his thoughts.

Have fun!

We live in CT and avoid the GW at all costs. We travel south several times a year and always go with the Garden State, even on weekends. Less traffic and less tolls. If you don' have it already, the EZ pass is a great thing to have. Can get on-line or at rest areas in MA and NJ saves time with lines at the toll booth and works through all New England, NY,NJ, Delaware, PA.

We live in CT and avoid the GW at all costs. We travel south several times a year and always go with the Garden State, even on weekends. Less traffic and less tolls. If you don' have it already, the EZ pass is a great thing to have. Can get on-line or at rest areas in MA and NJ saves time with lines at the toll booth and works through all New England, NY,NJ, Delaware, PA.

Thanks for all the responses.

francie57 can that be used in Florida also? I was thinking of getting that because Florida has a lot of toll roads.

I'm thinking I will use the TZB instead of GWB. Last time I used GWB it was a nightmare and I did it in the middle of the night.

So nobody has used the Jameson Inn in Smithfield NC?

Thanks again.

I can't comment on the hotel you are asking about, but when traveling with our pet, I always check the major chains - Holiday Inn, Choice Hotels and can find many hotels that except pets. You may need to pay a small fee or take a smoking room, but I have found it fairly easy to find a hotel in the area we travel in.
I also looked on tripadvisor.com for the particular hotel you are asking about. I would recommend you take a look at it to give you a better idea about the hotel.

While I have never traveled with a pet, I have stayed at Jameson Inn's many times before, and I have yet to see a Jameson Inn anywhere that wasn't very good - often excellent. They have always been very clean, modern, and well furnished - not really fancy, but probably nicer than you are expecting from a pet friendly property.

I have seen pets at the Jameson many times, but never any signs my room or the hotel common areas had ever been occupied by one.

We have driven several times with our dog Bonnie. We leave around 3 am - a little north of Boston and are going over the Tappen Zee by 6:45 am. Last summer we left on a Friday and didn't hit any traffic on the way down. We were staying in DC for the weekend, but normally we drive to Fayetteville, NC and stay in a Best Western. The rooms are clean, have wifi, fridge and microwave for around $100, but that was a couple of years ago. There a lot of chain restaurants in the area and a Super Walmart. We usually order a pizza and salad from Pizza Hut (they deliver), so we don't leave the dog alone.

There is a website takeyourpet.com, with hotel recommendations, etc. but there is a small fee to use it. Have fun.

Janis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!