Driving from Orlando to New York

cheryl.UK

DIS Veteran
Next summer we are planning a road trip after our WDW holiday. What I want to know is how is the best way to deal with Tolls once I get out of Orlando. I don't even know if there are any.

Our rough itinerary is

Hilton Head Island
Chaleston
Washington
Gettysberg
New York

Any help or info on what to expect greatly appreciated

If you search "directions from x to y" in Google then it should bring up a route which will show which roads have tolls on them.

We usually do a road trip (when not at Disney) and we have always paid the tolls with cash or credit card, however in 2018 with did the New England states and our hire company sold us an easypay device. This meant we could go through the prepaid lane and not have to stop. We paid more for it than if we had paid out of pocket, but it was convenient.

If that sounds like something you would find useful I would check that it's something you can get from your car hire company before you get there. Personally I wouldn't choose it again and would pay cash or credit instead.

It is my understanding that the EasyPass(E-Z Pass) toll system works south on the I95 corridor from NY area south. Be prepared for a lot of congestion in the Washington DC area as well as in the NY area at bridges and tunnels. We personally do not do any car travel into the Carolinas and south, but I would check out EasyPass. When we rent cars at MCO, they used to have "transponders" for tolls in the Orlando area but not any more. The license plate is now picked up and you are billed separately on your credit card, separate from the car rental charge. Very smart to be thinking about this in advance. My advice for that length of car travel would be to use a toll system rather than waiting in lines for cash tolls.

Something we wanted to do a few years ago but its around $500 one way rental fee on top of the regular rental fee. It was only $300 for us to fly up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!