drive from Montreal

stitchaholic

DIS Veteran
We have never done the drive , however we were thinking of driving so we can try and save some $$$ and see some other places at the same time .
The plan would be to drive to NYC shop , take in the big apple and stay over in New Jersey .

Then drive through to Myrtle Beach , stay overnight or 2 , then make our way to Orlando and spend 5 nights at Universal hotel ( really want the express pass in the summer) , we would do sea world , aquatica and both Universal parks .
My family is breaking my heart , they want a Disney free vaca :sad:

Please , all inputs , thoughts and experinces welcome !

We drove many times over the Christmas holidays. We made the drive part of the vacation and had a great time!!! We did not stop off to see places like you plan to, rather we booked nice hotels and stopped early enough to enjoy them in the evening (Embassy Suites are great!!!)

Not sure how traffic will be in the summer but at Christmas time it was awful especially in the Virginia (Richmond) area!! If you can time your drives really early morning (around 4:00 departures) or on weekends, it should be somewhat better. At least you will not have weather to worry about. A little bit of snow and everyone is in the ditch!!!

We actually discussed this the other day and my daughters look fondly upon the driving days. They really learned their multiplication tables frontwards, and backwards!!! We had a little TV in the car with all their favorite movies, lots of snacks and told them that we needed ADVANCE notice for restroom stops. If they thought that maybe they had to go, they had to let us know then so that we could stop at a convenient stop and not lose too much time. When we stopped for gas, everyone went to the bathroom whether they had to or not. If they did not have to then, they usually did half and hour later!!

We had a lot of fun watching the signs for South of the Border going through North Carolina on the way down and South Carolina on the way home. Very quirky Pedro signs!!

Due to the fact that we did this trip frequently, we ordered an EZ Pass that made passing the tolls MUCH easier. Again, not sure if it will be an issue for you or not but helped us A LOT!!

Everyone should try it once. It is not a fun time for all but we enjoyed it. Let us know how it goes if you do decide to do it. :thumbsup2

We've driven to Florida from eastern Ontario several times, and have gone out of our way to avoid the big cities as much as possible. The traffic congestion and lost time if you try to move through at the wrong time of day (or night) is the stuff of nightmares.

I would suggest that you go over to the Transportation board. There is a really great, very long thread called 'for those driving 2,000+ miles return" or some such name. Fabulous for getting the lowdown on driving long distances in the US and LOTS of veterans who really know the I 95 route. Good luck. (Fortune favours the brave. And you're braver than I am to do this.)

Hi, we always drive to the World, actually about 20 times by now. I feel the more you stop the longer the ride seems... Have a magical trip... ;):)

1990 to 1992 Off site
1994 and 1995 Off site
1998 and 1999 Off site
2000 to 2003 All star Sports
2004 to 2011 Pop Century
2012 The World was great again (Pop Century) without the kids for the 1st time
March 2013 Disneymoon with the kids

1362207649.jpg

Evelyne said:
Hi, we always drive to the World, actually about 20 times by now. I feel the more you stop the longer the ride seems... Have a magical trip... ;):)

1990 to 1992 Off site
1994 and 1995 Off site
1998 and 1999 Off site
2004 to 2011 Pop Century

I am thinking like the ride home must feel like eternity , lol , at least on the way down your riding on anticipation .

I am thinking like the ride home must feel like eternity , lol , at least on the way down your riding on anticipation .

You are right the ride home is less exiting, so I take advantage of that to keep our travel journal up to date, the tops and the flops. I also start planning the next trip as well... :goodvibes:)

1990 to 1992 Off site
1994 and 1995 Off site
1998 and 1999 Off site
2004 to 2011 Pop Century

1362207649.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter