Drinking age on DCL excursions?

*pixie*

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of booking the Full Day Sail and Snorkel (which we have done before) through DCL in St. Thomas. We are going to have a couple of 18-20 year-olds with us. I know on the island itself and through independent tour operators, they will be able to partake in the adult beverages. Since this excursion is booked through DCL, will they follow the ship rules of having to be 21 to drink?

Unless there is a DCL cast member on the excursion chaperoning, I doubt the tour operator is going to be checking IDs. It's really not anything they will probably be concerned about since they are used to the local rules.

Did not have the exact same problem some years ago, but an interesting situation. On our first DCL cruise, EBPC, we stopped at Puerto Vallarta. We took an excursion to an agave farm where the plant is processed into tequila. The owner started the orientation tour followed by his 10-year-old son. The father was very informative in describing the plant and its trip from field to distillery, which they also operated. The son took over and covered the final process and even told us his favorite kinds of tequila without missing a beat. I guess you could say, "When in Rome...." or set your own rules, even on foreign soil.

Thanks so much!!

Did not have the exact same problem some years ago, but an interesting situation. On our first DCL cruise, EBPC, we stopped at Puerto Vallarta. We took an excursion to an agave farm where the plant is processed into tequila. The owner started the orientation tour followed by his 10-year-old son. The father was very informative in describing the plant and its trip from field to distillery, which they also operated. The son took over and covered the final process and even told us his favorite kinds of tequila without missing a beat. I guess you could say, "When in Rome...." or set your own rules, even on foreign soil.

That is so interesting. I have noticed with my kids' friends, those that were allowed to sample alcohol here and there did not go crazy with it when they turned 21 like those who had been strictly forbidden from it did.

The drinking age on the Virgin islands is 18, so no problem there.
When you in a Port the local laws apply. If you are in a British or Irish Port and you would rent a car, you wouldn't start driving on the right side of the road, because that's how it would work on the ship (If there were cars of course ;) ), you would drive on the left side because that's the local law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter