Dr. Jones and the Spitting Camel - Link to Alaska Cruise TR 9/18

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6156.jpg

IMG_6157.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6159.jpg

I’ll admit, the interior, for whatever reason (heat, who knows) didn’t hold anyone’s interest for all that long once we finished with the froggy dudes. Not sure why ,as interestingly enough 2 weeks later the zoo is where Eric wanted his birthday party and to me, this felt like I was a the zoo in many ways. It was crowded though and we were all a little impatient. We knew our time in AK was drawing to a close and this adventure had taken more time than we'd estimated but...we didn't want to rush the kids either.

Heading outside, we checked out these guys

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

And got a little personal with some

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6166.jpg

It was now noon. We were supposed to be in DTD btw 1:30-2 and we had Kali FP’s burning a hole in our pocket. Our plan was to hop the train, refresh ourselves on Kali (which would make me NOT so lovely for the tea but I was so hot I really didn’t care) and then get to DTD as fast as humanly possible, which we figured would be by cab or bus, whatever we saw first, from AKL. Fortunately the rest of our gang was running late, laundry taking longer than expected (while K swam lol) and so they'd be there closer to 2 as well.

Which, we realized was pushing it.

As we walked up, a train left. We hung out, checking out the waiting area.
We found a hidden Mickey

IMG_6167.jpg

Honestly, there wasn’t all that much to take pictures of!

IMG_6169.jpg

Soon…we heard this

“Train service has been suspended due to a medical emergency

Guess what? Conservation Station is a one way route. Train in. Train out. No other options.

that is one of hte biggest frogs i have ever seen.

and i bet you guys freaked out and took of running down the tracks.
:eek:

Oh my, what a cliffhanger!!!

Yeah, I don't mind skipping Rafiki's these days. It was fun when we had tots who wanted to pet a goat, but other than that....

At least you got to see some of the Tree of Life, and "It's Tough to Be a Bug".

OOOH NOOOOOO!!!!!

What's that they say about the best laid plans?

Even when they're not the best laid out, they seem to go awry!

What is with everyone on the DIS lately and cliffhangers? :lmao::lmao::lmao: Cynthia, I can't wait to hear what is next. We've not been on that train ride in probably ten years and I haven't missed it one bit. ;)

Stranded at Rafiki's Planet Watch ???!!?!?!?!?!

Oh that would have made me antsy, plans at DTD or not. Just not having a way back gets me twitching.

Obviously you got out ;) but that is one story for the TR.:rotfl:

Are you freak'in kidding me?????? Now that stinks, big time (I had originally written something else but decided I didn't want to be censored).

Can you say, "UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I have been to Rafiki's once, but it was on a very cool day. I can't imagine being there in the summer heat, stuck, and very much wanting to go on Kali RR.

Please tell me you made it to Kali and just skipped DTD. I certainly hope so.

Great cliffhanger! Cannot wait to see what happens. Thanks for sharing your pictures of Planet Watch. Even given your experience, I think its a must-do for us on our next trip. Max loves trains. Great picture of Devine, too. I've yet to see her. :sad2: I did, however, get to see FOLK and we loved it. But again, that's why there will always be more trips!

Okay, now I've answered my question from my TR - you have already been to HI. I see you came back while we were gone! I don't know why we're not friends on FB, but I friended you, so I can 't wait to see your pics! Glad you had a good time. Then we missed your DL while we were cruising!:goodvibes

Your Illuminations cruise turned out perfectly! I love the pizza on the boat idea!
Oh No! I think RP is such a waste of time - especially the time it takes for the train - and now you are stuck! Probably an emergency because someone got heat stroke - they don't have enough to drink in AK and it gets so hot!!!

Mary Ellen took the words right out of my mouth! "No freak'in way!!!"

Stuck there would have been my worst nightmare- until I actually found some fun there. But then again, my idea of fun is off the beaten path sometimes. Hope you get to that tea!!

Zach really enjoyed going out to Planet Watch this year & recongnized that fat frog in your TR!

I hope you guys didn't get delayed too much...

that is one of hte biggest frogs i have ever seen.

Isn't he something else? I admit, I didn't remember the frog AT ALL until I saw the pictures when writing the update and went HOLY CATS that's a fat frog! He's like something out of a movie.

and i bet you guys freaked out and took of running down the tracks.
:eek:

Somehow I don't think that would have gone too well but we did re-look at the mpa to confirm there was absolutely no way we could just walk back.

Oh my, what a cliffhanger!!!

Yeah, I don't mind skipping Rafiki's these days. It was fun when we had tots who wanted to pet a goat, but other than that....

It was cute. Good to know what it is I guess as it could be decades before I go back as the kids are getting too old for it.

At least you got to see some of the Tree of Life, and "It's Tough to Be a Bug".

That we did! I admit that Jeff and I were feeling a bit thwarted at that point, having wanted a nice AK morning and approaching noon feeling like we'd actually done next to nothing and certainly nothing that had actually been on our list. Actually I think Jeff was more peeved about the fact that he'd been railroaded into the Rainforest Cafe lunch by a 17 year old and grandma and it would cut our time significantly short.

OOOH NOOOOOO!!!!!

What's that they say about the best laid plans?

Even when they're not the best laid out, they seem to go awry!

Isn't that the truth! Though more often than not, it really works out in magical ways. Or at least I tell myself that. :rotfl:

What is with everyone on the DIS lately and cliffhangers? :lmao::lmao::lmao: Cynthia, I can't wait to hear what is next. We've not been on that train ride in probably ten years and I haven't missed it one bit. ;)

Yeah, I won't miss it for at least 10. Maybe 20!

Stranded at Rafiki's Planet Watch ???!!?!?!?!?!

Oh that would have made me antsy, plans at DTD or not. Just not having a way back gets me twitching.

Obviously you got out ;) but that is one story for the TR.:rotfl:

Twitchy is a PERFECT way to describe how Jeff was handling it

Are you freak'in kidding me?????? Now that stinks, big time (I had originally written something else but decided I didn't want to be censored).

no joke. wish it was. though I'd love to know what you originally wrote :rotfl:

Can you say, "UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I have been to Rafiki's once, but it was on a very cool day. I can't imagine being there in the summer heat, stuck, and very much wanting to go on Kali RR.

Please tell me you made it to Kali and just skipped DTD. I certainly hope so.

We shall see!

Great cliffhanger! Cannot wait to see what happens. Thanks for sharing your pictures of Planet Watch. Even given your experience, I think its a must-do for us on our next trip. Max loves trains. Great picture of Devine, too. I've yet to see her. :sad2: I did, however, get to see FOLK and we loved it. But again, that's why there will always be more trips!

Tina, I think Max is at the perfect age for it actually, I know our perspective on it, had we done it when the boys were younger would have been vastly different.

Okay, now I've answered my question from my TR - you have already been to HI. I see you came back while we were gone! I don't know why we're not friends on FB, but I friended you, so I can 't wait to see your pics! Glad you had a good time. Then we missed your DL while we were cruising!:goodvibes

Hi friend!

Your Illuminations cruise turned out perfectly! I love the pizza on the boat idea!

Yeah, not sure why I vetoed that thought when I booked it. It did cross my mind and I think I was apalled at the pizza prices, or thought it would be bad pizza, or just really wanted proper use of dining credits, not sure. I'd do it again in heartbeat.

Oh No! I think RP is such a waste of time - especially the time it takes for the train - and now you are stuck! Probably an emergency because someone got heat stroke - they don't have enough to drink in AK and it gets so hot!!!

you might be onto something there...

Mary Ellen took the words right out of my mouth! "No freak'in way!!!"

Stuck there would have been my worst nightmare- until I actually found some fun there. But then again, my idea of fun is off the beaten path sometimes. Hope you get to that tea!!

Well...you'd have to get out of line to be off the beaten path so that did pose a wee bit of a challenge :rotfl:

Though I dunno...."the laughing place" song OVER and OVER and OVER while stuck on splash, in an odd way, made us a bit more tolerant of the delay than we might otherwise have been. At least we weren't trapped in a log next to a frog that wouldn't stop!

Zach really enjoyed going out to Planet Watch this year & recongnized that fat frog in your TR!

I hope you guys didn't get delayed too much...

How funny! That frog was crazy.

Gagghhh!!!! I can't believe the train service was suspended, and you were left there waiting! I wonder what the medical emergency was...

It sounds like a lovely morning other than that -- I love wandering around the AK sipping on coffee drinks! :lovestruc

I read somewhere else recently about a medical emergency halting the train service. Either they were on the same train as you or it's a more common occurrence than one would think! Which does not especially inspire me to visit. Although I keep saying I need to spend more time poking around AK. And I NEED to go back to Dawa Bar to have another African margarita. :laughing:

Gagghhh!!!! I can't believe the train service was suspended, and you were left there waiting! I wonder what the medical emergency was...

we couldn't believe it either!!!

It sounds like a lovely morning other than that -- I love wandering around the AK sipping on coffee drinks! :lovestruc

It really was! Didn't exactly go to plan but lovely nonetheless!

I read somewhere else recently about a medical emergency halting the train service. Either they were on the same train as you or it's a more common occurrence than one would think! Which does not especially inspire me to visit. Although I keep saying I need to spend more time poking around AK. And I NEED to go back to Dawa Bar to have another African margarita. :laughing:

That was one of my favorites this trip. Remind me why we only had one?

:confused3

:rotfl:

It would have hit the spot while we were waiting for that train, that's for sure!

I am thinking we only had one because it was getting a bit hot...the Yeti and the pool were calling ;)
I headed out to Rafiki's once....one of those things to do once and I am all good now ;) I remember it being a long wait as you had mentioned. And I recall there being really interesting loos :laughing: I do know that I would NOT have been happy being stuck there...plans or not :sad2:

Tracy

I am thinking we only had one because it was getting a bit hot...the Yeti and the pool were calling ;)
I headed out to Rafiki's once....one of those things to do once and I am all good now ;) I remember it being a long wait as you had mentioned. And I recall there being really interesting loos :laughing: I do know that I would NOT have been happy being stuck there...plans or not :sad2:

Tracy

Yes, the Yeti and the Pool WERE calling...as were the shops!!!

Darn, I didn't hit the loo out there, that might have made things more interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter