Downtown Disney Dining-need help

HMGar

Mouseketeer
My family and I (two kids one 13 the other is 3) are spending one rest day to sleep in, do laundry, and explore downtown disney during our trip in June. Since we are using the counter service dining plan, we decided to treat oursleves to a table service dinner at downtown disney on this day. Of all the restaurants there, considering our budget, we've narrowed it down to three.

Plant Hollywood
House of Blues
Bongos Cuban Cafe

Anybody have any input good or bad to help us with our decision?

Thanks!

My family loves House of Blues. It is a favorite of all 3 of my kids. Huge portions, really fun atmosphere, really good food. If we don't eat there every Disney trip, we eat there every summer vacation in Myrtle Beach SC. The voodoo shrimp appetizer is insanely good!

In general I haven't heard good things about Planet Hollywood or Bongos.
Of those three, I would go with the House of Blues. I ate there once and thought the food was good.

There are some other nice options in the area. T-Rex has a similar atmosphere and many people enjoy the food. If you like the cuisine at Bongos, you may like Paradiso 37 (I went when it opened and wasn't impressed, but I have heard many people that do like it so maybe it has gotten better.)

I thought Bongos was absolutely fantastic. The food and atmosphere were great - drinks, plantains, loud music. We did go there without children. As for Planet Hollywood, dds 8,5 really enjoy the set-up and music there. The food has been hit or miss.

Another vote for HOB. We ate there and liked the food.The only thing that DH didn't like was we didn't get bread with our meals(maybe that has changed;)). I never been impressed by the few PH I have gone to and the menu at Bongos didn't appeal to us.
On a seperate DTD note since you are on the QSDP make sure you go to Wolfgang Puck Express in the DTD Marketplace. Best value for your credits and wonderful food :thumbsup2

Thanks for the input, it really helps! I printed up each of the menus for my family to look at before we make a decision.

I've decided I am leaning toward House of Blues based on the menu selections. I'm waiting on input from the rest of em.

House of Blues is my first choice abd planet Hollywood is DS16 first choice...we'll be eating at both during our trip in Sept

If you are on the CS plan, I would have dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express in the Marketplace and treat yourself to a TS restaurant somewhere else.

IMHO, WPE is the absolute best CS value at WDW.

If you are on the CS plan, I would have dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express in the Marketplace and treat yourself to a TS restaurant somewhere else.

I second this post. I was about to make the same recommendation. Wolfgang Puck Express offers the best counter service food in Disney. It is better than many table service locations. If you are treating yourself to just one nice meal, I suggest saving it for another night when you will be in or around the parks. Wolfgang Puck Express is too delicious to overlook.

I agree with this too!!:thumbsup2
Wolfgang puck express has the best counter service (I think)..for us the only difference between here & sit down meal is you have to carry the food..however, when we were there last Feb... you put in your order and they gave you a number to put on your table...then they brought you the food:laughing:

Dishes are fantastic and a great value on counter dining plan...I think the pasta dishes were about $16...add drink & dessert & you have a $22-$23 meal!

I have been to Bongo's many times and have enjoyed it each time. Definitely walk thru and spend some time in Planet Hollywood, the movie props are really something to see, just don't eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter