Downton Abbey Fans

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
Were you hooked from season 1?
After all the recent hype I decided to play catch up on Netflix, but I'm not yet hooked. I'm on episode 4.

Trying to decide if I should stick with it...parts have been good, but maybe it's cause I really have to pat close attnetion to it & I'm used to doing something else while watching tv.

I was hooked after the first episode. I was really fascinated by the difference in culture (love that her Ladyship is American and Lady Mary says to her "you're American, you wouldn't understand."), time/history, and class system.

When watching I don't fold laundry or anything, I just watch. I tried doing other stuff at the same time early on (doing dishes), but I found that I missed a lot of the nuances, snarky remarks (obrien), and detailed cinematography.

I'd suggest you finish out season 1 and if you don't want to see what happens to the characters after that last episode, then you may never really get into the series.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I only started with this season. I haven't had the time to look up the others on Netflix.

I enjoy Downton Abbey and read the internet to fill in the gaps on characters and situations that are referenced from prior seasons.

I don't know if I will ever go back to watch from the beginning.

I enjoy the show for the historical aspects--period clothing, mannerisms, the whole manor and relationships with servants aspects. And I am a fan of Dame Maggie Smith.

I also watch tv while I am on the computer and find that I sometimes have to rewind Downton Abbey to catch what I missed the first time. It is a show that one must pay attention to to understand at times-especially since I speak American English and not British English.

You can't do anything else while watching Downton! ;)

For me it is almost more than anything a visual feast. The scenes are like paintings it is so beautifully filmed, in such a grand historical place, with those gorgeous clothes! And the scenes really are perfectly framed. I just stare.

Other than that I eagerly await Maggie Smith's next scene.

The drama that goes on is just a bonus. :)

I was absolutely hooked instantly. But I'm a sucker for British period drama. I pretty much knew I'd love Downton based on previews alone. I wasn't as much in love with Season 2 but I still enjoyed it. However, Season 1 and Season 3 (so far) are spectacular!

I agree! This is one of the few shows I just sit and watch.

I hear the music from the other room, and I find myself on the couch, fixated, even if I saw the episode more than once! I DVR it, but can't seem to get myself to bed when I know I can watch it. I discovered it towards the end of season 2, so watched 1 and 2 in about 3 weeks.

I have this season on the DVR, and can't make myself watch it, because you really do need to focus! Watching Once Upon a Time and Revenge with my dd15 uses up my focus ability for the week!

One trick is to use the closed captioning. Much easier to catch the nuances.

I was hooked from the beginning. I didn't start Season 1 until this January. I watched all of Season 1 on Amazon Prime in two days and then Season 2 in about 3 or 4 days. Then we ordered the DVD of season 3 and have watched all of it. Now it will be a long dry spell until we can see Season 4.
In the meantime we are going to try "Upstairs, Downstairs".

YES! And now that I'm watching it as it airs, I recognize the problem with PBS....no commercials. Take all potty breaks and prep all snacks before 9pm on Sunday! haha. I mean, I DVR it, but am really into watching it non-recorded for some reason.

OP, I am almost always like you with TV. There is very little I care about but this...I just love this.

It's funny you ask. I've been home this week with the awful flu/cold and decided to start watching the first season on Netflix on Monday. I watched 3 hours just last night but that could have been the fever I had!! :teeth:

For me it is almost more than anything a visual feast. The scenes are like paintings it is so beautifully filmed, in such a grand historical place, with those gorgeous clothes! And the scenes really are perfectly framed. I just stare.

I totally agree! ::yes::

I was hooked from the beginning. I didn't start Season 1 until this January. I watched all of Season 1 on Amazon Prime in two days and then Season 2 in about 3 or 4 days. Then we ordered the DVD of season 3 and have watched all of it. Now it will be a long dry spell until we can see Season 4.
In the meantime we are going to try "Upstairs, Downstairs".

We did also. I watched Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD starting this January with DD, after she gave them to me for Christmas.

Here's a tip: We watch it with the subtitles on. Yes, we speak English, but as people have said, the accents can be hard to understand, some of the terminology and phrases are old fashioned, and they speak so fast that it is hard to catch it all sometimes. The subtitles have really helped!

mom0299, how did you get Season 3 already? I pre-ordered from Amazon, but it wasn't shipped until last week and is supposed to arrive today! :rolleyes2 I will be UNHAPPY if it isn't there when I get home from work tonight! :furious:

I feel the same way. I love the show and can't wait for Sun. night. I put CC on, so that I don't miss a word.

I love this show but I'm a huge fan of this kind of show. I drive my husband nuts with Jane Austin movies and period shows. I watched season 1 on netflix and it looks like season 3 is on the PBS website. Where can I watch season 2 without having to buy it?

I just started watching with season 3 and quickly determined that I wanted to watch seasons 1 & 2 as I keep wondering about some of the characters' back stories. I discovered yesterday that seasons 1 & 2 are on Comcast on demand for FREE! Yay! Now I don't have to buy them.

mom0299, how did you get Season 3 already? I pre-ordered from Amazon, but it wasn't shipped until last week and is supposed to arrive today! :rolleyes2 I will be UNHAPPY if it isn't there when I get home from work tonight! :furious:

We preordered from Amazon last Sunday and it was released last Tuesday. It came the day it was released. I hope you get yours soon!

We preordered from Amazon last Sunday and it was released last Tuesday. It came the day it was released. I hope you get yours soon!

Well, I guess that teaches me to NOT pick the Free Super Saver shipping! :headache:

STILL not here!

Tracking says it is "out for delivery" today, so it better be there tonight!!! :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter