Down the road DVC rumor

bigsmooth

Mouseketeer
Kevin Yee at MiceAge had this rumor about a new downtown type disney development that would include timeshares (which I'm assuming would be DVC branded):

http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky110706a.htm

Personally, I'm not enthralled on the idea. Not sure how credible it is, although MiceAge has been pretty good with their rumors in the past. Not aware enough of the WDW property to know exactly where this would be.

From the article:

Details are still pending, but the "Western Beltway Development Project" (a placeholder name until a better one comes along) seems to be proceeding through the various pieces of red tape needed to actually occur. Spearheaded by Walt Disney Imagineering-Florida, it's to be a whopping 450 acres of retail and lodging with:

3,000 economy ("limited service") hotel rooms
1,300 time share units
A 270,000 sq. ft. retail town center (up to 400,000 sq. ft. in the extended build out area)
Quick-service restaurants, Casual dining
Grocery store
Gas stations
Gift shops
Value-oriented retail

I read the article and found it interesting. Good move by Disney, if it happens, but not sure I would want to stay at a DVC in that location though. A couple of possibilities:

1) Allow other timeshare comapnies in (similar to how non-Disney hotels operate in the Downtown Disney resort area.
2) A second tier of DVC for those on modest budgets.

According to the article this is year's away, but interesting anyways.

Just because Disney is developing it doesn't mean it will be Disney branded, it may be technically an "off-site" type development...with another timeshare/hotel brand like Marriott, Hilton or Fairfield. Without "real" Disney onsite perks, as another poster mentioned, similar to the Downtown Disney resorts and Crossroads shopping center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter